Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 29, 2022 at 8:28 PM Post #93,812 of 149,167
15hsdj.jpg

May 29, 2022 at 8:42 PM Post #93,813 of 149,167
Years back at a concert at the Kimmel center somebody's (on floor level) cell phone went off a half dozen or more bars into the start of Stravinsky's "The Rite of Spring". The young conductor, whose name escapes me, stopped the orchestra and waited patiently while the moron with the cell phone took at least a minute to figure out how to turn it off and meanwhile the audience was murmuring among each other during that time. The conductor then began from the beginning and was able to complete the work without interruption.

I am no fan of cell phones, and the one I have is for travel and emergencies only and never give the number out to anyone or any business. I've used it to make 4 phone calls in the five years I've owned it. I don't use it to surf the net, play games, or watch TV or movie programing. And, like "Machete", I don't text! My friends use e-mail or landlines to communicate. Cells are an annoyance in public when the individuals think that they are so important that they must talk loudly annoying the people around them.

My friends grandchildren, and some younger generation adults I know, have nervous breakdowns when they can't find their phones, the battery runs out, or service is interrupted. Their cell phones are controlling them, not the other way around. Spending my life face down in a 3" x 6" glass window is not the life for me. But that's just me.
People ask me why I don't have 'smartphone' and I answer that they are cellPHONES and the 1st function should be that of a PHONE not an internet device.
And as such most cell phones sound like crap when used as a PHONE, as in their intelligibility ofttimes borders on sounding like gibberish.
I do have a flip phone (Kyocera DuraXE) that actually is a decent phone which is all I use it for.

And then there is the issue of what a 'smartphone' actually is, or to put it another way, how the NSA describes them as Mobile Servers, ones that have been hacked and they have developed 'toolkits' designed to access these 'Mobile Servers'.
And the next question to arise should be, what does it serve?
That should make one go hmmmmmmmmmm.

Some peoples 'lives' exist in their smart phones, and for a businessman I can see the utility of utilizing a PDA (Personal Digital Assistant, remember those?) for helping keep track of the myriad of details involved in engaging in business.
But many just get sucked into their phones and as such are unaware of their surroundings and their situational awareness is majorly hampered as a result.
Not to mention peoples socialization skills have been significantly 'altered' as is evident at a restaurant where many ignore those around them while 'staying in touch' with those not in their presence.

I also found it most telling that Steve Jobs would not let his children have a phone nor pad when they were growing up. Ya think he knew something about what was going on?

And of course there is the issue of having a transmitter pressed up against ones head, and for some, for prolonged periods of time no less.
That should make one go hmmmmmmmmmm as well.

Ah, all these modern conveniences how could we live with out them?
hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

JJ

May 29, 2022 at 8:43 PM Post #93,814 of 149,167
May 29, 2022 at 10:02 PM Post #93,815 of 149,167
People ask me why I don't have 'smartphone' and I answer that they are cellPHONES and the 1st function should be that of a PHONE not an internet device.
And as such most cell phones sound like crap when used as a PHONE, as in their intelligibility ofttimes borders on sounding like gibberish.
I do have a flip phone (Kyocera DuraXE) that actually is a decent phone which is all I use it for.

And then there is the issue of what a 'smartphone' actually is, or to put it another way, how the NSA describes them as Mobile Servers, ones that have been hacked and they have developed 'toolkits' designed to access these 'Mobile Servers'.
And the next question to arise should be, what does it serve?
That should make one go hmmmmmmmmmm.

Some peoples 'lives' exist in their smart phones, and for a businessman I can see the utility of utilizing a PDA (Personal Digital Assistant, remember those?) for helping keep track of the myriad of details involved in engaging in business.
But many just get sucked into their phones and as such are unaware of their surroundings and their situational awareness is majorly hampered as a result.
Not to mention peoples socialization skills have been significantly 'altered' as is evident at a restaurant where many ignore those around them while 'staying in touch' with those not in their presence.

I also found it most telling that Steve Jobs would not let his children have a phone nor pad when they were growing up. Ya think he knew something about what was going on?

And of course there is the issue of having a transmitter pressed up against ones head, and for some, for prolonged periods of time no less.
That should make one go hmmmmmmmmmm as well.

Ah, all these modern conveniences how could we live with out them?
hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

JJ
And get off my Lawn!
1653876065912.png

Just kidding. But you are giving your general age away.

May 29, 2022 at 11:18 PM Post #93,816 of 149,167
I rarely use my iPhone as a phone. My primary uses are: shopping mall, camera, TV, notes, email, texting, maps, weather radar, music player, internet searching, dictionary, calculator, job search, oh and forum participant. Some of that also happens on my iPad or Mac as well.

May 29, 2022 at 11:28 PM Post #93,817 of 149,167
Like it or not, the internet is critical to life in the modern world. As is the phone. Believe it or not, for many people (including in developed countries) the cost of phone AND a computer is prohibitive. We here are effed up buying multi-kilobuck headphone systems and our views are skewed.

A reference point: the median American household (that's a FAMILY not individual) income was 67K in 2020. Split that between 4 individuals and it comes out to just $1400 per individual per month.

But, yes I get really annoyed that people won't put the phones down when with company.

May 30, 2022 at 12:04 AM Post #93,819 of 149,167
Let's say the folkvangr comes out and my integrated amp only takes single ended input. What would be the best solution for needing two single ended outputs? Have bifrost and loki max, so only one single ended out..
I’m not sure I understand your question. Folkvangr is single-ended.

I obviously didn’t understand your question… 😬

Understand… what the heck has the act of standing below something to do with getting it? English is weird sometimes… 🤓

Last edited:
May 30, 2022 at 12:07 AM Post #93,820 of 149,167
Let's say the folkvangr comes out and my integrated amp only takes single ended input. What would be the best solution for needing two single ended outputs? Have bifrost and loki max, so only one single ended out..
presuming digital source (CD transport / streamer / etc.) to Bifrost to Loki Max via SE (or XLR if BF2), then loki max via SE to integrated amp, and loki max XLR out to folkvangr RCA using a custom cable (XLR female pin 1 to rca shell, XLR pin 2 to rca center pin, XLR pin 3 not connected). or use a high quality RCA splitter at the output of Loki Max.

Last edited:
May 30, 2022 at 9:40 AM Post #93,825 of 149,167
presuming digital source (CD transport / streamer / etc.) to Bifrost to Loki Max via SE (or XLR if BF2), then loki max via SE to integrated amp, and loki max XLR out to folkvangr RCA using a custom cable (XLR female pin 1 to rca shell, XLR pin 2 to rca center pin, XLR pin 3 not connected). or use a high quality RCA splitter at the output of Loki Max.
Yes, right now pi to bf2 via USB, then xlr to loki max (and phono pre to loki max via rca), and currently rca to integrated and xlr to jotunheim 2.

Most rca splitters I've looked at have reviewers claiming sound degradation or coloration, so I'm guessing custom cable might be preferable, and recommendations for where to get one of those? Something like this? https://amp.apos.audio/products/zy-...TGESwaO1R_mtRlLrdFp7Yd4fReDMuguoaAlUXEALw_wcB

Is a custom cable better idea than adapters? Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back