Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 28, 2022 at 6:31 PM Post #93,781 of 148,521
I prefer watching movies at home nowadays:
  1. No one talking in the background
  2. Better overall (Schiit) sound and picture
  3. Better quality and better priced food and beverages
  4. Start, end, pause when you like
  5. No parking
6. No people who spend the entire movie looking at their phones.

May 28, 2022 at 6:35 PM Post #93,782 of 148,521
May 28, 2022 at 6:51 PM Post #93,783 of 148,521
I prefer watching movies at home nowadays:
  1. No one talking in the background
  2. Better overall (Schiit) sound and picture
  3. Better quality and better priced food and beverages
  4. Start, end, pause when you like
  5. No parking
Absolutely.

I’ll add-

FF/RW as needed
Subtitles if desired
Volume control to my taste
No previews if I don’t wanna watch them
I get to choose the audience

RGB

May 28, 2022 at 7:06 PM Post #93,785 of 148,521
Well….I was mulling around weather to buy the Tyr or something else. It was going to cost me a bit of cash, since I would need a preamp and additional cables. I did get the extra cables which were hard to fine. I use Harmonic tech all through my system. Was difficult to find some balanced ones for a reasonable price, but EBay went to the rescue for me. Since I have my audio installed in my bedroom, I was somewhat concerned about the hum issue or non issue. I sleep right next to my audio rack. Well, talked to my pass dealer and got a good trade in on a new Pass intergrated 250. That beast is amazing! I ordered a Loki max and received it in about 3 weeks later. When I opened the box I was surprised how heavy it was. This thing is superbly made. This is a first class eq. With the subtle changes you can make, you can dial in perfect sound and it does not disturb the music at all. The remote operation is really cool, although I will have to use a flashlight to see what the knobs are doing at distance. As others have mentioned when the unit is set to flat or bypass mode I can not detect that the unit is install between my yggy and amp. The loki, is nothing like the old slider EQs of yester year.

May 28, 2022 at 9:00 PM Post #93,786 of 148,521
Mythbusters was a phenomenal show. If I was a HS science teacher I would either show the episodes in class or assign it as homework. I still watch Adam Savage on youtooob once in awhile to listen to him reminisce about the show.
.... and then they did Tested. Where, he modestly says, you can find an interview with certain (now) North Carolinian..............

May 28, 2022 at 9:02 PM Post #93,787 of 148,521
I'll just leave this here......

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-05-28 at 8.50.11 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-05-28 at 8.50.11 PM.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
May 28, 2022 at 9:08 PM Post #93,789 of 148,521
I’ve been absent for a while on posts…but I try to stay up with the dialogue as much as possible. Great group of people here no doubt. Having been retired 2 years now (as of the first week of June) we’ve had a pretty good time considering world events. I also injured the meniscus in my right knee last November. My two sisters and I have been preoccupied lately though and over the last couple of months we’ve been moving our parents into a senior living facility. Lots of emotions that go along with that on all sides. Additionally, We were graced with a wonderful grand-daughter at then end of January and my sister experienced her first grandson last week. Lots of work moving the folks and starting to clean out the house we lived-in starting in 1975 to get ready to sell. Over 50 years of history that we are sorting through. A few evenings of brown liquids and green leaf stuff and we start the Marie Kondo style of sorting. Half a century of photo gear including a black & white plus color capable darkroom. Decades of arts and crafts from batik to embossed card making to quilts and sewing projects. Sorting thru the two car garage and having the family and friends acquire the wood working tools that have made so many pieces of family furniture, toys, and mechanical engineering models.

What really is the point of this post is my journey with audio back since my folks Fischer and Heathkit gear with a Thorens turntable and various tape gear. While I was in college, I bought Koss CM/1020 speakers from Illinois, shipped by Yellow Freight to Seattle. I matched them with my classic silver Pioneer gear for years until I transitioned to the NAD amps and preamps. When my wife wanted to downsize the speakers with our new at the time wall units, I went through a series of Paradigm speakers with a Paradigm sub. The CM/1020s went to my parents house and have been there for the better part of 30 years. When we first started taking the important stuff our of the house I made a special trip to take them over to my house - much to Miss Erin’s concern as she already thinks the KEFs and Maggies both are too much. But she does understand, and appreciates the difference, between the flavors of grape, cherry, and orange. And listening to these are an interesting combination of classic, fairly efficient, speaker sound with a wonderful mid-range and a bass response that does not reach out and ask for subwoofer support. The cabinets were made by a grandfather clock company out of pecan wood, finished on all sides. Grills are intact, but who uses those much anymore anyway. Placement is not super critical as the ports are front facing.

I have to say that the match-up with my Schiit gear is also amazing, just as it was with my Pioneer and follow-on NAD decades. A couple of University professors that I make wine with, and other spirits, have been mentored by me in the audio arena. One of them still prefers my Magnegan LRSs. The other claims the CM/1020s are the king. All I can says is that I rotate frequently between the KEF LS50 Metas, LRSs, and the Koss CM/1020s during the ups and downs of the sibling support of parents phase, and the CM/1020s are hooked up more than half of the time. Bottom line is that they are “fun”. Secondly the mid-range of this 3-way speaker is sublime with acoustic jazz, blues, and classic rock. The bass is to die for. Not that this matters much but Julian Hirsch’s review in Stereo Review is what got me to buy these. Bass measured down in to the 20hz range, albeit a few dB down. Paper cone for the base driver and mid-range, made by Heppner. Peerless tweeter. Supposedly one of the first speakers to highly utilize computer modeling in the design of the system and cross-overs.

Here they are in their natural wood glory. Listening to Lyle Lovett - 12th of June. Like I said - fun.

Cheers and have a wonderful Memorial Day Weekend!

IMG_1400.jpeg

May 28, 2022 at 9:35 PM Post #93,790 of 148,521
Last edited:
May 28, 2022 at 9:44 PM Post #93,792 of 148,521
Well, whenever comes the time where I need a little 'help', I'll keep that in mind. I always appreciate a recommendation from someone I trust. :p

Last edited:
May 29, 2022 at 5:16 AM Post #93,793 of 148,521
.... and then they did Tested. Where, he modestly says, you can find an interview with certain (now) North Carolinian..............
Fun! I’ll have to look that up when I get home this afternoon.

May 29, 2022 at 7:11 AM Post #93,794 of 148,521
6. No people who spend the entire movie looking at their phones.
I never go to the cinema. I much prefer listening to music to watching movies, even at home.

'Smart' phones at concerts are a menace, especially when people insist on holding their phones up near your face to record a performance.
Why can't people just live in the moment and enjoy the spontaneity of a live performance?

At a local venue near my old house, the organisers banned the use of any phone.
A few years ago when I saw Robin Trower at this excellent all- seater venue, someone held his mobile phone up right in front of my face.

After several minutes, I asked him politely to turn his phone off ,otherwise I'd call security.

He started to get aggressive, so me and my two friends stood up from our seats and he backed down; probably thought the better of challenging three 6ft plus grumpy old men! It should not have been necessary though.

It spoiled the evening.

At a Neil Young concert in London about 10 years ago, phones were also banned.

A few 'fans' decided to ignore this polite request at Hammersmith Odeon, so Neil Young told the audience that if people didn't put their phones away he'd take the band off stage.

Brilliant!

He is one of my music heroes. :beyersmile:

Last edited:
May 29, 2022 at 8:42 AM Post #93,795 of 148,521
I’ve been absent for a while on posts…but I try to stay up with the dialogue as much as possible. Great group of people here no doubt. Having been retired 2 years now (as of the first week of June) we’ve had a pretty good time considering world events. I also injured the meniscus in my right knee last November. My two sisters and I have been preoccupied lately though and over the last couple of months we’ve been moving our parents into a senior living facility. Lots of emotions that go along with that on all sides. Additionally, We were graced with a wonderful grand-daughter at then end of January and my sister experienced her first grandson last week. Lots of work moving the folks and starting to clean out the house we lived-in starting in 1975 to get ready to sell. Over 50 years of history that we are sorting through. A few evenings of brown liquids and green leaf stuff and we start the Marie Kondo style of sorting. Half a century of photo gear including a black & white plus color capable darkroom. Decades of arts and crafts from batik to embossed card making to quilts and sewing projects. Sorting thru the two car garage and having the family and friends acquire the wood working tools that have made so many pieces of family furniture, toys, and mechanical engineering models.

What really is the point of this post is my journey with audio back since my folks Fischer and Heathkit gear with a Thorens turntable and various tape gear. While I was in college, I bought Koss CM/1020 speakers from Illinois, shipped by Yellow Freight to Seattle. I matched them with my classic silver Pioneer gear for years until I transitioned to the NAD amps and preamps. When my wife wanted to downsize the speakers with our new at the time wall units, I went through a series of Paradigm speakers with a Paradigm sub. The CM/1020s went to my parents house and have been there for the better part of 30 years. When we first started taking the important stuff our of the house I made a special trip to take them over to my house - much to Miss Erin’s concern as she already thinks the KEFs and Maggies both are too much. But she does understand, and appreciates the difference, between the flavors of grape, cherry, and orange. And listening to these are an interesting combination of classic, fairly efficient, speaker sound with a wonderful mid-range and a bass response that does not reach out and ask for subwoofer support. The cabinets were made by a grandfather clock company out of pecan wood, finished on all sides. Grills are intact, but who uses those much anymore anyway. Placement is not super critical as the ports are front facing.

I have to say that the match-up with my Schiit gear is also amazing, just as it was with my Pioneer and follow-on NAD decades. A couple of University professors that I make wine with, and other spirits, have been mentored by me in the audio arena. One of them still prefers my Magnegan LRSs. The other claims the CM/1020s are the king. All I can says is that I rotate frequently between the KEF LS50 Metas, LRSs, and the Koss CM/1020s during the ups and downs of the sibling support of parents phase, and the CM/1020s are hooked up more than half of the time. Bottom line is that they are “fun”. Secondly the mid-range of this 3-way speaker is sublime with acoustic jazz, blues, and classic rock. The bass is to die for. Not that this matters much but Julian Hirsch’s review in Stereo Review is what got me to buy these. Bass measured down in to the 20hz range, albeit a few dB down. Paper cone for the base driver and mid-range, made by Heppner. Peerless tweeter. Supposedly one of the first speakers to highly utilize computer modeling in the design of the system and cross-overs.

Here they are in their natural wood glory. Listening to Lyle Lovett - 12th of June. Like I said - fun.

Cheers and have a wonderful Memorial Day Weekend!

IMG_1400.jpeg
Well said. I can recall plenty of Pioneer and Nad gear I owned, my speaker and headphone selections may be a bit different but then each of us have a love for specific gear. I have owned Paradigm speakers in the past. :ksc75smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back