Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 6, 2022 at 10:27 PM Post #92,612 of 149,079
May 6, 2022 at 10:35 PM Post #92,613 of 149,079
My system is SO BASSY tonight!!! I do not have any idea why?! It is raining here in NYC, but I am pretty sure I have listened to this system in the rain even though it is relatively new. Someone who knows things please give me some ideas. Thanks in advance.

May 6, 2022 at 10:49 PM Post #92,614 of 149,079
My system is SO BASSY tonight!!! I do not have any idea why?! It is raining here in NYC, but I am pretty sure I have listened to this system in the rain even though it is relatively new. Someone who knows things please give me some ideas. Thanks in advance.
Rain means low pressure ... less pressure means greater woofer excursion. But enough to be audible? If you say so. I think the bass is exaggerated to your ears because the rain is putting a blanket over the treble region.

May 7, 2022 at 12:25 AM Post #92,615 of 149,079
1Q84 by Murakami is a great example
It's too long period. Murakami has lacked a good editor to keep the repetitive stuff out. "The Wind-up Bird Chronicle" was justifiably long, "Kafka on the Shore" and "After Dark" (especially "After Dark") were so tight and focused. "1Q84," "Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki" and "Killing Commendatore" have great set pieces, but the joints and derivative themes show too much. Like an old jazz hand who can't avoid overdoing a solo (metaphor deliberately chosen given Murakami's jazz club past).

May 7, 2022 at 12:44 AM Post #92,616 of 149,079
Tonight's jazz session: recent post-bop-ish release with unusual instrumentation, and a post-bob classic. No Schiit in this particular chain, yet it does not suck :ksc75smile: (for the curious: Roon 4x linear upsampling filter > Holo Spring 2 KTE in NOS mode > Eddie Current Aficionado with favorite tubes [Mullard 5AR4, WE 396A, Linlai E-2A3] > ZMF Auteur Blackwood).

RoonShareImage-637874696355439170.png
RoonShareImage-637874695918085950.png

May 7, 2022 at 7:37 AM Post #92,618 of 149,079
MF was born in London, which as far as I am aware, is not in Yorkshire...:beyersmile:
I want my cigar!
Come in here dear boy have a cigar, you're gonna go far...

May 7, 2022 at 7:55 AM Post #92,619 of 149,079
Just got some Schiit delivered. ~48hrs from US to Sweden is not bad.

Got an ES9028 expansion card for my Asgard 3 and added a Modi 3E in case I need more DAC:s since shipping is a large part of the cost.

Since the Asgard doesn't need a special power cord it will be nice to make it a convenient all in one unit which I can easily move to another room without any major hassle.

The Modi 3E or 3+ will be connected to my JDS Atom to expand the number of listening stations.

Threw in a couple of PYST:s as well to get rid of longer cables when stacking.
A fellow Swede, welcome! 48 hours is not bad at all, usually it has been 7-10 days for me, regardless of using FedEx or USPS.

I usually choose the cheapest shipping option though, as shipping cost isn’t negligible over the pond. :sweat_smile:

Has anyone in Europe had a look at the shipping cost of a couple of Tyrs btw?

May 7, 2022 at 8:14 AM Post #92,620 of 149,079
image.jpg
What you see here, ladies, is a pair of re-branded GEs in a Mjolnir, sweetening my Friday afternoon coding sesh'.

Feel free to ignore that almost comically dumb looking stack of two socket savers and a converter that’s necessary to get this to work. And yes, I know that the converters’ pins need a wee bit of a trim. 😁
My Vali2+ did similarly look a bit silly with a Psvane CV181-TII (grey glass) erected standing tall by way of a socket saver and adapter.. :sweat_smile: it sounded good though :L3000:

May 7, 2022 at 8:25 AM Post #92,621 of 149,079
It's too long period. Murakami has lacked a good editor to keep the repetitive stuff out. "The Wind-up Bird Chronicle" was justifiably long, "Kafka on the Shore" and "After Dark" (especially "After Dark") were so tight and focused. "1Q84," "Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki" and "Killing Commendatore" have great set pieces, but the joints and derivative themes show too much. Like an old jazz hand who can't avoid overdoing a solo (metaphor deliberately chosen given Murakami's jazz club past).
I agree about length and repetition but I am curious if Murakami is toying with the reader. Two of the main characters are a writer and an editor but I am only half way through the book. I tried to describe it to my wife as a love story, mystery, fantasy, social commentary. I am also reminded of something a friend often says. "back in the days when book editors still roamed the earth." I started with Wind-up bird, and then went to Norwegian Wood, most likely I will read all of his works unless something more fascinating is presented to me in between. :ksc75smile:

May 7, 2022 at 8:52 AM Post #92,622 of 149,079
My Vali2+ did similarly look a bit silly with a Psvane CV181-TII (grey glass) erected standing tall by way of a socket saver and adapter.. :sweat_smile: it sounded good though :L3000:
IMG_0587.jpg

Several of us did a lot of experimenting with the Vali 2. Here are single triode versions of the 6sn7 working in place of the standard Vali tubes. :ksc75smile:

May 7, 2022 at 9:19 AM Post #92,623 of 149,079
IMG_0587.jpg

Several of us did a lot of experimenting with the Vali 2. Here are single triode versions of the 6sn7 working in place of the standard Vali tubes. :ksc75smile:
I like ST-bottle 6J5's better. 🤣🤣

Vali with 6J5s.jpg

May 7, 2022 at 10:05 AM Post #92,625 of 149,079
1651851119427.png

SchiitShow Writ Large
Or, Flushing the Last 2 Years

Well, maybe I'm not being entirely fair here, because this isn't just a SchiitShow. It is, more precisely, the Texas Audio Roundup, a Schiit and Emotiva (and friends) show, coming soon to a mini-California...er, I mean, Austin, near you!

(And yeah, I know, I'm ribbing the Austinites a bit, but it's good-natured ribbing. Remember when we could laugh about things? Yeah, like that. Relax.)

Why our own show? Why with Emotiva? Why not just go to one of the myriad of shows happening soon? Well, at least in part because (a) we're weird, and (b) we thought it might be time for something a little, er, different. A little more, ah, focused on the affordable side of things. A bit more, ahem, direct. Hence we got together with our friends at Emotiva and came up with this crazy thing. (Fun fact: my old marketing agency used to lease space from Dan Laufman before Emotiva was Emotiva...we go wayyyyyyy back.)

Of course it won't be all Schiit and Emotiva. In fact, there will also be customer systems, headphones from our friends, crazy homebrew speakers, and tons of other stuff. We're shooting for a fun, casual show where you can stroll and enjoy, without a ton of pressure.

Now, that's not to say it won't be exciting on the Schiit side. We're definitely bringing the big guns: Tyr, Loki Max, and Folkvangr for sure. Probably at least a couple of other new things too, but I can't talk about those yet. We'll see what makes it for the show...big, small, or in-between!

Texas Audio Roundup
July 22-23
Austin, Texas

Link: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/texas-audio-roundup-tickets-335542455517

Of course, I'll be there, as well as some other Schiitheads. Hopefully you can come and see us at the first-ever Texas Audio Roundup!

All the best,
Jason

Attachments

• 1651850648083.png
    1651850648083.png
    207.8 KB · Views: 0
Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back