Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 22, 2022 at 7:35 PM Post #91,651 of 148,984
Thank you so much for that statement...! So many measurements-are-everything fan boys seem to think a flat frequency is the only thing that matters...! What about dynamics, micro-detail, spaciousness, bloom, decay, bass impact, treble air. So much more to listen for than if the frequency balance is to your liking. It makes me crazy.

Yes. We measure in the frequency domain but we listen in the time domain.

:beerchug:
JC

Apr 22, 2022 at 7:38 PM Post #91,652 of 148,984
Apr 22, 2022 at 7:56 PM Post #91,653 of 148,984
Subwoofers. All five of mine are DIY. I have a pair of Exodus Audio Shiva-X 12" in U-frame open baffles as part of my stereo mains; a pair of sealed systems using Aurasound NS15's to reinforce the bottom two octaves where the OBs lose some oomph; and an IB installation in the ceiling that uses 4 X Acoustic Elegance IB15s that I fire up for movies that need bigger bass. All in one room.

Apr 22, 2022 at 7:59 PM Post #91,654 of 148,984
A question for the tube experts. Ordered Linlai E 6sn7 for my preamp. The tubes are so fat they won't plug in without clanking into each other. I fixed this by using two stacked socket savers for two of the tubes. This works, but makes the preamp crazy tall. Does anyone make an "offset adapter" to space the tubes further apart? This would allow me to reclaim and shelf in the Salamander rack. If no one makes such an adapter, couldn't I fabricate one using a plug, socket, and a little wire?
Thanks,
barondla

Apr 22, 2022 at 7:59 PM Post #91,656 of 148,984
Apr 22, 2022 at 8:03 PM Post #91,657 of 148,984
You are lucky. Remember though: pics or it didn't happen. :laughing:
They were good, but not the best we have had from them. A little dry this time.

Attachments

• IMG_4638.jpg
    IMG_4638.jpg
    380.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4637.jpg
    IMG_4637.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 0
  • unnamed.jpeg
    unnamed.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Apr 22, 2022 at 9:10 PM Post #91,659 of 148,984
I have (not all in the same room) 11 subwoofers of various brands. Clearly, two are not enough!
(brands are: SVS, TBI, T+A, REL, Velodyne, OSD, Cambridge Audio, used to have an Outlaw Audio and a Leon.)
I wouldn't be able to resist trying at least one time, putting all 11 in the same room and playing them all at the same time. During a thunderstorm.

Apr 22, 2022 at 9:50 PM Post #91,662 of 148,984
Apr 22, 2022 at 10:01 PM Post #91,663 of 148,984
A stream of consciousness after a trip to AXPONA today...

I don't know the official stats, but the show felt to be about 60-70% of the show from 2019, both in rooms and attendees. It was still plenty for me. I had a good time.

My friend and I had no agenda today, so we started at the top floor and wandered our way down.

Most rooms play the music too loud for my taste. Some even seemed to be over-exciting the room, which isn't doing them any favors. I have a strange urge to tell some kids to get off my lawn.

I've officially become a tube guy. The rooms I enjoyed most had at least one tube in the chain. There were some fine-sounding solid state systems, but tubes took it from "sound" to "music". To my ears and brain, of course.

My favorite listens were the Avantgarde Trios (with short bass horns, I think), and the DeVore Gibbon Super Nines driven by Linear Tube Audio MicroZOTL preamp and ZOTL Ultralinear+ power amp.

I seem to have an affinity for single-driver loudspeakers. I may be a time-domain junkie.

Since they were one of the big sponsors, I stopped by the Qobuz booth and asked for an authoritative pronunciation. ( kuh-buz ) It's a word I've only read; I've never heard anyone say it.

The demonstration of the Chord Hugo M Scaler was impressive. The description of what it does (or tries to do) is even more impressive. And the gentleman with the Scottish accent describing it added to the fun.

Some heavy storms moved through in the afternoon. While my friend and I were sitting in the "food court" chatting, we heard a clap of thunder, looked at each other, and both said, "Nice subwoofer!"

AXPONA is like going to an art museum -- the medium is sound. That perspective helps me to appreciate all of the extravagantly-priced gear.

It feels good to be back listening to my own rig.

No Schiit. :triportsad:

Apr 22, 2022 at 10:02 PM Post #91,664 of 148,984
A question for the tube experts. Ordered Linlai E 6sn7 for my preamp. The tubes are so fat they won't plug in without clanking into each other. I fixed this by using two stacked socket savers for two of the tubes. This works, but makes the preamp crazy tall. Does anyone make an "offset adapter" to space the tubes further apart? This would allow me to reclaim and shelf in the Salamander rack. If no one makes such an adapter, couldn't I fabricate one using a plug, socket, and a little wire?
Thanks,
barondla
Send a PM to @Deyan . He makes very nice adapters and may be able to help with something that will work nicely.

Apr 22, 2022 at 10:13 PM Post #91,665 of 148,984
They were good, but not the best we have had from them. A little dry this time.
Those do look a little dry. Looks like a neat place though.

We had a plant lunch today with the good stuff... :laughing:

BBQ.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back