Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 17, 2022 at 12:09 PM Post #91,351 of 148,607
I struggle with the auto-sense power-on of my Rythmik sub. In my small room with higher efficiency speakers, I suspect that my listening level does not require power output sufficient to automatically turn the subwoofer power amp on. Thankfully, Rythmik provides a way to defeat the auto-sense power-on function.

Apr 17, 2022 at 12:14 PM Post #91,352 of 148,607
6FC37EFD-F59F-4F7C-9B18-06AEF642170B.jpeg
reply sent, I am beyond humbled

Griff
The Coaster amp I am sending was set up as a test station for matching tubes so I will get a nice set soldered in place for you. Also there are some 1/4 w resistors in place of surface mount, they will not hurt a thing. :ksc75smile: I just checked it and it is working fine..

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2022 at 12:16 PM Post #91,353 of 148,607
On bass-pushing test tracks: JSB's Toccata & Fugue BWV 565 played by Helmut Walcha on the St. Laurens, Alkmaar organ in 1956, DGG/Archiv recording re-released as the first tracks of "Bach: Great Organ Works" by Helmut Walcha. I first listened to this from the original Archiv vinyl release (which I still own for memory's sake) through my partly home-built system when I was a kid, never forgot those low low organ tones.
I've used the Telarc Bachbusters version of this for testing for well over 30 years now, also BWV 781 has a massive bass hit in it that I've always used as well.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2022 at 12:29 PM Post #91,354 of 148,607
Here is my story about Schiit . I hope Jason reads it .
I have purchased just about every item that Schiit makes over the years so I’ve been a pretty loyal customer .
I recently bought a Ragnorak and it sounded great . Then I went to attach a Kef 8b sub to the Ragnorak . The sub would not activate . I tried a Musical Fidelity and Naim amp with the same speakers and the sub worked fine. I swapped the speakers with a pair of Kef Ls50’s and the Kef sub still would not activate . I can only assume that it wasn’t getting a proper signal .

I returned the amp and they said nothing was wrong with it . I’m guessing they never checked the se output with a sub .

I was charged back a restocking fee .

This will be my last Schiit purchase.

Items bought in the past : Yggdrasil (2) , Gungnir , Magni, Vidar(2), Aegir(2), Loki , Jotenheim ,Freya (2)
Forgive me if I missed this in another reply, but did you try any other device with the Ragnarok preouts besides the KEF sub? From what I see you tried the sub with other amps but I don't see where you plugged another device into the preouts of the Ragnarok.

Apr 17, 2022 at 12:38 PM Post #91,355 of 148,607
I would check out audiogon. I don't know how valuable their market is but prices seem higher than I'd expect for used gear.
Audiogon people are super picky about imperfections (scratches, etc).
UsAudioMart and its brethren are nice, too.

Apr 17, 2022 at 12:51 PM Post #91,356 of 148,607
Re: Test Tracks. One of my test tracks is by the Blazing Redheads.

I can imagine that playing their LP through a Mani 2 into Tyr might be way too much bass?

Apr 17, 2022 at 12:55 PM Post #91,357 of 148,607
On bass-pushing test tracks: JSB's Toccata & Fugue BWV 565 played by Helmut Walcha on the St. Laurens, Alkmaar organ in 1956, DGG/Archiv recording re-released as the first tracks of "Bach: Great Organ Works" by Helmut Walcha. I first listened to this from the original Archiv vinyl release (which I still own for memory's sake) through my partly home-built system when I was a kid, never forgot those low low organ tones.
My favorite version...

Screenshot_20220417-115314_Roon.jpg

Apr 17, 2022 at 1:03 PM Post #91,359 of 148,607
I struggle with the auto-sense power-on of my Rythmik sub. In my small room with higher efficiency speakers, I suspect that my listening level does not require power output sufficient to automatically turn the subwoofer power amp on. Thankfully, Rythmik provides a way to defeat the auto-sense power-on function.
I sometimes have the same issue with my ELACs. Not so much if listening with Roon, but if listening to the TV from it's analog out I sometimes have to crank the volume on the Freya S to get the ELACs to power-on.

Apr 17, 2022 at 1:16 PM Post #91,360 of 148,607
Forgive me if I missed this in another reply, but did you try any other device with the Ragnarok preouts besides the KEF sub? From what I see you tried the sub with other amps but I don't see where you plugged another device into the preouts of the Ragnarok.
His problem is most likely the level required to activate that sub was not reached in the Ragnarok preouts because the volume control was too low. Simply not a good equipment mix: nothing wrong with either the Ragnarok or the KEF, they just don't play nice together.

Apr 17, 2022 at 3:08 PM Post #91,361 of 148,607
His problem is most likely the level required to activate that sub was not reached in the Ragnarok preouts because the volume control was too low. Simply not a good equipment mix: nothing wrong with either the Ragnarok or the KEF, they just don't play nice together.

I thought that original post mentioned that the Ragnarok was returned. So, while it won't help with his issues, maybe all the advice will help others in a similar situation...!

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2022 at 3:58 PM Post #91,362 of 148,607
I thought that original post mentioned that the Ragnarok was returned. So, while it won't help with his issues, maybe all the advise will help others in a similar situation...!
Indeed. In general, for best subwoofer integration into a system that does not include a dedicated LFE or subwoofer pre-out, I always recommend not using sub amps with signal-sensing standby functions. It often prevents subwoofer function at lower listening levels. Just turn it on and off with the system, or leave it on all the time.

Apr 17, 2022 at 4:39 PM Post #91,363 of 148,607
Question for those with Tyrs, do they need much warm up time? I would generally only use them on the weekends and would prefer not to leave them on all week.
I'm just catching up, @JLoud - been away for a few days, and somebody has probably already answered you... but IMHO one of the great features of the Tyrs is the front-panel standby / de-bias switch. So, unlike Vidar (which idles at ~60w, or so I've read here), Tyr only consumes 5-6 watts in standby. So they are the first Schiit products that I actually am good with leaving "on" all the time. Best part of this schema is that they are always ready to play... and I play them, a lot. :)

Apr 17, 2022 at 4:41 PM Post #91,364 of 148,607
Apr 17, 2022 at 5:01 PM Post #91,365 of 148,607
Good to hear you're enjoying the Classic Rock Songs! :wink:
Yeah, buddy!
Regarding "24-carat nameless", not a big fan of most of his stuff...but will say this --

The guy's uber talented...of course he can sing/dance the popular stuff but he can also can play guitar, drums, etc.
Agreed, @GearMe - I believe that I was being a bit unfair. I am nowhere near as talented as Mr. Mars, and I will never be, and I agree that he can rock it with the best of them.

I would so much rather listen to old Prince albums, though. :L3000: I read (on the web - maybe an urban legend?) that an interviewer asked Eric Clapton how it felt to be the best guitarist in the world, and Clapton said "I don't know. Ask Prince."

And then there's this:

Just so amazing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back