Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 5, 2022 at 8:36 PM Post #90,631 of 149,076
I got into Isoacoustic stands years ago. I ended up buying the small, medium, and large stands. Then I got the custom Modular stands for my subs. Finally, I picked up a used set of Gaia III feet for my towers at a great price. They all work well. I kinda want to get the Zazen platform for my turntable but it’s down a ways on my list. That reminds me, It’s been a while since I played the lottery.
I have my turntable sitting on a platform from
a seller on eBay. It has sorbothane feet built in and a lead shot core for added weight. Liked it so much I bought a second one last week for my other Sol.

Attachments

• 36BEF864-0F72-4C72-923F-3B47E20C657C.jpeg
    36BEF864-0F72-4C72-923F-3B47E20C657C.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • 3E09B97D-4CFF-434A-BB71-ED434C604088.jpeg
    3E09B97D-4CFF-434A-BB71-ED434C604088.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • DC5F0C36-1491-4BD7-8B9C-4B6A5F8123EF.jpeg
    DC5F0C36-1491-4BD7-8B9C-4B6A5F8123EF.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 5, 2022 at 9:32 PM Post #90,632 of 149,076
On shipping weight, there is usually a cut off point at which the shipment costs more. I think it is 70lbs here in the US. There are all sorts of crazy things that you can fix with shipping.

In my time doing post, I worked out that we could save money on large shipments by adding in one low weight letter that brought the average below a cut off point. I was saving the company $30k a year doing things like that.

Apr 5, 2022 at 9:44 PM Post #90,633 of 149,076
On shipping weight, there is usually a cut off point at which the shipment costs more. I think it is 70lbs here in the US. There are all sorts of crazy things that you can fix with shipping.

In my time doing post, I worked out that we could save money on large shipments by adding in one low weight letter that brought the average below a cut off point. I was saving the company $30k a year doing things like that.
Mhm.

But there's even more weird Schiit going on, at least on the FedEx side of things, than just some weight cut-offs coming into play between splitting or not splitting your order.
When I ordered my two Tyrs last week on Wednesday, I paid 170.08$ in shipping for FedEx Home Delivery (for a single order of two Tyrs). According to Schiit's shipping cost estimator, the very same order would cost me 103.20$ in shipping for FedEx Home Delivery if I ordered them today.
That's an almost 40% reduction in price over the course of just six days, for a 265 miles short trip.

Still peanuts either way in relation to what the amps cost, so I don't really care, but it still feels a bit arbitrary and opportunistic on FedEx's side of things. Oil prices haven't dropped that much since last week, and as far as I'm aware, there also hasn't been a 40% wage decrease in the shipping sector, either.

Apr 5, 2022 at 9:45 PM Post #90,634 of 149,076
Not sure but USPS has a max weight cut off of 70lbs. Maybe that’s what your thinking of? I’ve never heard of an inflection point in the shipping rates at 70.

Apr 5, 2022 at 9:47 PM Post #90,635 of 149,076
Mhm.

But there's even more weird Schiit going on, at least on the FedEx side of things, than just some weight cut-offs coming into play between splitting or not splitting your order.
When I ordered my two Tyrs last week on Wednesday, I paid 170.08$ in shipping for FedEx Home Delivery (for a single order of two Tyrs). According to Schiit's shipping cost estimator, the very same order would cost me 103.20$ in shipping for FedEx Home Delivery if I ordered them today.
That's an almost 40% reduction in price over the course of just six days, for a 265 miles short trip.

Still peanuts either way in relation to what the amps cost, so I don't really care, but it still feels a bit arbitrary and opportunistic on FedEx's side of things. Oil prices haven't dropped that much since last week, and as far as I'm aware, there also hasn't been a 40% wage decrease in the shipping sector, either.
Haha, mine went up since last week. 346 vs 390. Funny how it works out. One person’s goes up and the other person’s goes down.

Apr 6, 2022 at 12:44 AM Post #90,638 of 149,076
I believe Jason has said in the past that they use a service for their shipping. I dont recall if he said what service, but services like ShipStation are going to charge for their service. And that is going to get passed on to us.. Home Depot probably does it all in house and ships at a scale that dwarfs Schiit.

Not much we can do about it I suspect, other then grin and bear it.

Ordering Tyrs separately looks to be a nice trick. Would save me about 35 bucks. Which is enough to buy a bottle of bourbon I could be happy with.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2022 at 3:36 AM Post #90,639 of 149,076
On room tuning.

You don't need to turn your room into an anechoic chamber. It's about first reflections. With time patience and an assistant it's easy to find those points. On each wall, ceiling, and floor there will be one point for each tweeter. Sit in your primo listening position, have some body run a mirror along the walls, ceiling (a little tricky but can be done with a rube goldberg'd mirror on a long handle at 90 degrees), and the floor. When you see each tweeter centered on the mirror from your listening position on the walls and ceiling those will be the point of first reflection in a typical room and where I would place some absorbent acoustic treatment. If the floor is bare wood those points could go with a throw rug. Depending on how close to the rear wall the speakers sit you may want something on the wall behind them. I went with something like this between the speakers on my rear wall, seemed to enhance the centerfill of the image.
1649203685645.png
Dipoles are a bit trickier because of the rear wave, but are usually out from the wall anyway so that rear wave will take a longer route around and treatment may or may not be wanted.

Bass traps helped me with issues that can develop at corners when wave cancellations and wave reinforcements (eigentones) making the sound thin or thick or lead to dead spots depending on where you sit in a room.

That's the way I set up various speakers I owned over the years when I had a home with a dedicated listening room. I found getting those first reflections under control makes for sharper imaging and better depth of the sound field. Especially in smaller rooms where the reflected 1st waves can cause a blur with the direct wave from the tweeters as the two signals arrive very close together time wise at your ears.

There is also a rule of thirds which says you divide the width of the room by 3 and that's typically the best place to position the speakers. Avoid placement numbers divisible by 2 if possible.

That's the sum total of my experience in room tuning.

My space is pretty difficult for room treatment, so I think I'll go with with a sound system that has room correction software at some point.

Here's a fancy MS Paint edit of our living room. Speakers and TV are red, the wall behind them is solid despite the drawing, and the wall on the opposite side has double doors. It's also a joint open space with kitchen.

Näyttökuva 2022-04-06 100536.jpg

Apr 6, 2022 at 3:44 AM Post #90,640 of 149,076
Everyone remember to order your Tyrs separately. You will get upcharged for shipping if you order them in pairs on the same order even though they go out the door as separate items with separate tracking numbers.
Ridiculous. Imagine you order one now and then the other and it says with the second one out of stock! These should be sold by pair too and with less shipping as it saves space and packaging. The delivery guys shall be less happy though with the total weight :)

Apr 6, 2022 at 3:51 AM Post #90,641 of 149,076
Ridiculous. Imagine you order one now and then the other and it says with the second one out of stock! These should be sold by pair too and with less shipping as it saves space and packaging. The delivery guys shall be less happy though with the total weight :)

I agree @Derrick Swart
Unless you prefer one speaker and Mono recordings, like this.... :beyersmile:
1649231399896.png

Apr 6, 2022 at 5:18 AM Post #90,642 of 149,076
The rub with two in a single box is you bust the USPS weight limit (70lbs) with that box.

Apr 6, 2022 at 6:18 AM Post #90,643 of 149,076
Tyr. I don't get it. I just don't get it. :triportsad:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back