Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 15, 2022 at 8:01 PM Post #89,506 of 145,654
Which part? The injuries from falling in the hole, or the Acoustats? :laughing: They were the Model 1+1's. Really nice speakers for the time, but I didn't keep them very long as they just didn't have enough bass for Def Leppard and AC/DC. Sold them and bought some Snell E-3's, which I enjoyed for quite a while before upgrading to the C-4's, and later the C-5's Then I heard a tube preamp and fell headfirst into the basement of the rabbit hole.... 🤣

Thanks! I was an Acoustat fan, and I was curious as to your history with the brand. Model Ones were my first experience with them. The Ones came with the sub, so they had bass. The sub was optional with the 1+1's, which maybe wasn't a good idea. I'm using hybrid Martin Logan's now, with 8" woofers. Bass is very decent. 😃

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2022 at 8:04 PM Post #89,507 of 145,654
I never did care for the Sol putting the power switch right next to the RCA connectors. There's no need for power to be going anywhere other than the detached motor, so why run it exactly where you don't want it? Killing Sol solved that issue for Schiit. :wink:
I'm still hoping they'll pretty sol up, double the price and have a great turntable. But it needs some things. Nothing major. Motor with a switch on it should be easy to source. I guess the entirely made in usa thing can be forgiven for the motor if that's the only stopping point. And a soft cue device. I destroyed a cartridge and then tonearm cable. Set up properly, it's a great turntable.

Mar 15, 2022 at 8:18 PM Post #89,508 of 145,654
LOL! I had the Epicure Model 10's (same as the EPI 100 with a bit nicer cabinet), and upgraded those to the JBL 4312's that were very similar to the JBL 100's. Then I heard a pair of Acoustats at a dealer and fell headfirst into the rabbit hole, never to return. :laughing:
Funny, I ended up with some Acoustat's down the road. That said, I had to wander down the Loud(er)speaker path for a while (JBL L65's, Infinity RSIII's) prior to moving into the more esoteric brands. My first set of 'high fidelity' speakers were Dahlquist DQ-10's. I liked them and eventually added a subwoofer prior to stacking two pair in a rack like this...

1647389681980.png

Electrostats were just different though. My local high-end dealer carried Quads Once I heard the midrange on those, I knew I had to try some electrostats and ended up with some Acoustats (model 3s?) -- keeping my subwoofer/crossover from the previous setup...fun times! :)

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2022 at 8:19 PM Post #89,509 of 145,654
Yep!

For the price they sounded pretty nice out of that Sansui. I believe the turntable was a Dual with a nicer Shure (or Audio Technica) cartridge.

Loved my Model 100s. Decided to checkout and upgrade the crossover and found that it consisted of a single capacitor. The ferro-fluid tweeters were amazing.

Went from them to JBL L110s and then Magnepan IIc, then Acoustats. Downsized and then kids. Started getting back into 2 channel again after a 20 year spell.

Mar 15, 2022 at 8:31 PM Post #89,510 of 145,654
Loved my Model 100s. Decided to checkout and upgrade the crossover and found that it consisted of a single capacitor. The ferro-fluid tweeters were amazing.

Went from them to JBL L110s and then Magnepan IIc, then Acoustats. Downsized and then kids. Started getting back into 2 channel again after a 20 year spell.
Ha! After my Acoustats, I switched to Maggies and stayed there (MGI, MGII, MGIII)...with subs of course. Was close to going for Tympani's but stopped the madness due to kids as well.

Mar 15, 2022 at 8:36 PM Post #89,511 of 145,654
To be honest, I regretted going from the Maggies to the Acoustats. It's not that the Acoustats were bad - just that the Maggies were much more to my liking.

I now have Tekton Lore Reference speakers. Seriously thought about Magepan LRS but the room limitations I have to deal with would have been a recipe for disaster with them. 😒

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2022 at 8:41 PM Post #89,512 of 145,654
Funny, I ended up with some Acoustat's down the road. That said, I had to wander down the Loud(er)speaker path for a while (JBL L65's, Infinity RSIII's) prior to moving into the more esoteric brands. My first set of 'high fidelity' speakers were Dahlquist DQ-10's. I liked them and eventually added a subwoofer prior to stacking two pair in a rack like this...

1647389681980.png

Electrostats were just different though. My local high-end dealer carried Quads Once I heard the midrange on those, I knew I had to try some electrostats and ended up with some Acoustats (model 3s?) -- keeping my subwoofer/crossover from the previous setup...fun times! :)
Back in the 1970's >>> Hartley / Quad / Decca was a "Speaker Hack" before "Hack" was a "thing". I believe the Quad's were stacked like your Dahlquist in the picture. Where did you get the idea to stack your Dahlquist like that?

Mar 15, 2022 at 8:48 PM Post #89,513 of 145,654
A friend had them already :wink:

He thought about the stacked Quads but never bought them -- again life, responsibilities, etc.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2022 at 9:07 PM Post #89,514 of 145,654
I've been enjoying the recent posts about recordings (live and/or 50 years old) and hardware, but today's tipple seemed worth including:

ElysianWinterVarietyPack.jpg

Elysian is a fine brewery. Their "Space Dust" IPA is a current favorite. Here in Northern California, it feels very much like spring, but out shopping I came upon their Winter Variety Pack, which includes:

BifrostWinterPale.jpg

An 8.3% Pale? Sign me up!
BifrostAndBifrost.jpg

Mar 15, 2022 at 9:10 PM Post #89,515 of 145,654
Did anyone other than me think the end-all/be-all as a teen was stacked Large Advent speakers. Tweeters together, of course.

Listening to them to ELP's 'Lucky Man' track played via a Rabco TT, and Harman Kardon Citation Series amp and preamp was mind-blowing and life changing. That's when I knew I was an Audiophile. 😄

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2022 at 9:12 PM Post #89,516 of 145,654
Which part? The injuries from falling in the hole, or the Acoustats? :laughing: They were the Model 1+1's. Really nice speakers for the time, but I didn't keep them very long as they just didn't have enough bass for Def Leppard and AC/DC. Sold them and bought some Snell E-3's, which I enjoyed for quite a while before upgrading to the C-4's, and later the C-5's Then I heard a tube preamp and fell headfirst into the basement of the rabbit hole.... 🤣

Thanks! I was an Acoustat fan, and I was curious as to your history with the brand. Model Ones were my first experience with them. The Ones came with the sub, so they had bass. The sub was optional with the 1+1's, which may be wasn't a good idea. I'm using hybrid Martin Logan's now, with 8" woofers. Bass is very decent. 😃
Wow, I had a pair of Acoustat 1+1's too, back in 1987-88. Powered them with a Moscode 300. Like you both said, they did everything well, except bass. There weren't as many subwoofers back then, and I couldn't afford the ones that I did find. Ended up trading them in for a pair of Vandersteen 2c's.

I am tempted by the Maggie LRS's.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2022 at 9:20 PM Post #89,517 of 145,654
I've been enjoying the recent posts about recordings (live and/or 50 years old) and hardware, but today's tipple seemed worth including:

ElysianWinterVarietyPack.jpg

Elysian is a fine brewery. Their "Space Dust" IPA is a current favorite. Here in Northern California, it feels very much like spring, but out shopping I came upon their Winter Variety Pack, which includes:

BifrostWinterPale.jpg

An 8.3% Pale? Sign me up!
BifrostAndBifrost.jpg
I'll see that and raise you:

1647393546991.png

The 2018 Valhalla is quite nice--maybe I should have one tomorrow in the Schiitrmeet.

And now we can start arguing about Texas wines....

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Mar 15, 2022 at 9:24 PM Post #89,519 of 145,654
Disinformation! Obviously a Russian state-run publication. Everyone knows NC is really 51st with Puerto Rico just edging it out. 😒

Screenshot_20220315-202242_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back