Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 24, 2022 at 3:56 AM Post #88,711 of 149,177
I have a Schiit mani that is gather dust now. I had to keep my turntables because my cats love to jump down on them... Have to find out what to do to discourage them from doing so.

Saw many comments on the OG Mani that while the MM portion is great, they found the MC portion lacking. So will be interested to see what the early impressions are like. And since I have only 1 phono preamp, I have no idea how great or not the Mani is.

Was thinking of purchasing an Asgard 3 with MM card but putting it on hold now. Might get it together with a Mani 2.

Feb 24, 2022 at 4:46 AM Post #88,712 of 149,177
I don't have any issues with regular FedEx, they are awesome. It's only the Home Delivery side that ALWAYS holds my stuff 3 extra days and tries to say that I wasn't at home etc... even though I've seen them drive right by and not even try stopping. Now I always make sure it doesn't go through them, even if I have to pay extra.
The dogs are enjoying this one... (below; watch before reading the next paragraph)
Years ago I was at a gas station when someone drove in, got out, and their vehicle rolled down a slope rolled back right into traffic. Some damage and relatively minor injuries, if any, occurred. Right next to the (in)famous Pie 'N Burger a few blocks west of Caltech, Pasadena.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2022 at 4:52 AM Post #88,713 of 149,177
The dogs are enjoying this one... (below; watch before reading the next paragraph)
Years ago I was at a gas station when someone drove in, got out, and their vehicle rolled down a slope rolled back right into traffic. Some damage and relatively minor injuries, if any, occurred. Right next to the (in)famous Pie 'N Burger a few blocks west of Caltech, Pasadena.

Some years ago I heard on the radio (so it might be true) that new research showed that dogs are happy and laughing a lot of the time. Their laughter is a very faint almost sub-vocaling sound, so us humans had not recognized it.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2022 at 9:12 AM Post #88,714 of 149,177
I have a Schiit mani that is gather dust now. I had to keep my turntables because my cats love to jump down on them... Have to find out what to do to discourage them from doing so.

Saw many comments on the OG Mani that while the MM portion is great, they found the MC portion lacking. So will be interested to see what the early impressions are like. And since I have only 1 phono preamp, I have no idea how great or not the Mani is.

Was thinking of purchasing an Asgard 3 with MM card but putting it on hold now. Might get it together with a Mani 2.

Although this is mainly regurgitating what's in Schiit's press release, an article like that at darko.audio often presages a video review:

https://darko.audio/2022/02/the-schiit-mani-2-is-your-next-phono-pre-amplifier/

And there's a good chance the other usual suspects on YouTube will be releasing discussions within the next few days/weeks.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2022 at 10:48 AM Post #88,716 of 149,177
I don’t listen to vinyl as much as I used to. But when I do I appreciate not only the performers I’m hearing but also the people who created the vinyl and associated packaging.

Maybe it’s an age thing but I still like “owning” my music in a physical format. If I like something I buy the cd. If I really like something I buy the vinyl. (Which usually also comes with a full rez download) Sometimes, I’ll even buy both cd and vinyl.
I also prefer to buy directly from the artist if possible.
Still not really into streaming. Mostly because it doesn’t really pay the artists properly.

Feb 24, 2022 at 1:30 PM Post #88,719 of 149,177
Review up on ASR for Mani 2:
https://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/schiit-mani-2-review-phono-stage.31194/

I worry about the mains noise really hurting the SN ratio.
What a confusing mess:

1. He says the wall-wort makes noise
2. He says the Mani 2 scores near the top of all phono stages for s/n and then suggests his test is not completely accurate
3. He complains about the switches on the bottom (he always bitches about Schiit design, but never about any Chinese brand design aspects)
4. He recommends it, but never listened to it.

Is this a review or someone tinkering with test equipment and calling it "science"?

Feb 24, 2022 at 1:40 PM Post #88,720 of 149,177
What a confusing mess:

2. He says the Mani 2 scores near the top of all phono stages for s/n and then suggests his test is not completely accurate
3. He complains about the switches on the bottom (he always bitches about Schiit design, but never about any Chinese brand design aspects)

Is this a review or someone tinkering with test equipment and calling it "science"?
A good summary of why I call ASR "bunk."

Feb 24, 2022 at 2:33 PM Post #88,723 of 149,177
For those who will suggest vintage, I’m not against it, but I don’t have the time to hunt for bargains and I like having a warranty of something breaks prematurely.
Hear, hear. As much as I love my vintage gear (especially the Carver TFM amps), I'm all in for new Schiit - from Schiit and others. The amount of time I spend cleaning, fixing and fussing over vintage gear simply keeps me from listening to music. In my experience, the "good deals" on the vintage stuff end up being more expensive by a factor of 2X or more, over time.

Technology has improved so much over the last decades... yeah, some of the old stuff still sounds great. But the new Schiit always sounds great, in my experience. Just my $0.02.

Feb 24, 2022 at 2:39 PM Post #88,724 of 149,177
What a confusing mess:

No and yes, in that order. :laughing:

Feb 24, 2022 at 2:53 PM Post #88,725 of 149,177
Yeah, not sure what's going on with those measurements. Maybe it's the wall-wart.

I pulled one off the line and threw it on the analyzer--the result was slightly better than our spec when A-weighted (99dB-ish, as shown on analyzer). Both A-weighted and unweighted are shown here. You can see the extreme care I took with cable management, lol!

IMG_2163.jpg

IMG_2164.jpg

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back