Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 10, 2022 at 6:55 PM Post #87,271 of 149,125
What I love about this entire community is all the semi-serious arguing about BBQ, VU meters, etcetera, the more serious arguments about bling, all tolerated by Jason (he could ban us). Many companies would consider this discussion dangerous, not contributing to their vision, possibly harmful to their reputation. He just lets it go on. Sometimes-every-other Wednesday he jumps in with science, or marketing, or a war story. I am anticipating the promised challenges to the status quo. "Flavors" of DACs was, in my opinion. excellent. I had hoped for more wailing and gnashing of teeth on the general internet but I have not seen much.

Jan 10, 2022 at 7:14 PM Post #87,272 of 149,125
I wonder, would the average millennial be more likely to know what a bread box is, than to know what The Absolute Sound is?
Or an LP? :laughing:

Jan 10, 2022 at 7:18 PM Post #87,273 of 149,125
Jan 10, 2022 at 8:49 PM Post #87,275 of 149,125
Rotary phones!

Jan 10, 2022 at 9:31 PM Post #87,276 of 149,125
In a recent issue of The Absolute Sound, a reviewer described an ultrasonic LP cleaner as "about the size of a breadbox." Does anybody still have a breadbox? If you're a millennial, do you even know what a breadbox is? Yeah, you could probably work it out, but does the word conjure a mental image? This says something about the demographics of audiophilia, and not anything good. Just a random Monday morning thought...

If their reviewers are of a similar age as the Stereophile writers, that's not a surprising reference. We have a breadbox and it cost zillions less than one of those fancy cleaners. Okay, maybe not zillions, but enough that I could afford to buy a lot more music or a new pair of headphones.

Jan 10, 2022 at 10:46 PM Post #87,278 of 149,125
Is the "breadbox" that thing I use to transport the bread from the store to the house? Not sure what other "box" is involved with bread. I thought it was called a "motor coach".
Nah, a bread float!

Jan 11, 2022 at 7:06 AM Post #87,281 of 149,125
In a recent issue of The Absolute Sound, a reviewer described an ultrasonic LP cleaner as "about the size of a breadbox." Does anybody still have a breadbox? If you're a millennial, do you even know what a breadbox is? Yeah, you could probably work it out, but does the word conjure a mental image?
A mental image? For sure!

592A14AB-9DDC-45D0-966F-1FC6CAD600F7.jpeg

(I don’t know what that says about me, but anyway… 😅)

Jan 11, 2022 at 9:32 AM Post #87,283 of 149,125
A mental image? For sure!

592A14AB-9DDC-45D0-966F-1FC6CAD600F7.jpeg

(I don’t know what that says about me, but anyway… 😅)
Back then, the term "ergonomics" was limited to describing the ability to enter data by using one's hands instead of punch cards.
Ah, simpler times…

As a millennial: Yes, I know what a bread box is, we actually had one in the house when I grew up.
Granted, I'm an elder millennial (hatched in 1981), so I might not be the best sample.

The problem with the "size of a bread box" statement isn't just that it's a potentially useless size comparison for about half the living population, it's that it is an ACTUALLY useless size comparison for the ENTIRETY of the living population. Bread boxes vary in size, and they do so to a degree that renders them completely meaningless as basis for a benchmark. :rolling_eyes:

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Jan 11, 2022 at 9:49 AM Post #87,285 of 149,125
Ahhhh. The rotary and push button Princess phones. Those were the days. There was quite a satisfying rush when slamming the phone down and angrily hanging up on someone back then. Not as satisfying with a cell phone. :unamused:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back