Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 4, 2021 at 9:41 PM Post #85,517 of 148,650
You regional BBQ snobs need to just get over yourselves and let's talk about things that really matter, like regional craft beer.
LochielExterior020117.jpg
I really enjoy the micro breweries in the metro Vancouver, BC area.

Many of them have taken home hardware from world meets as well - including Powell Street winning best IPA in 2015.

Dec 4, 2021 at 9:41 PM Post #85,518 of 148,650
NASCAR evolved from the original craft breweries. I'm OK with that. :laughing::laughing:

Original craft distillers. These gentlemen are experts in the fine art of producing small batch corn likker.

Dec 4, 2021 at 9:52 PM Post #85,519 of 148,650
Could you go work for Oracle and fix up Primavera? It’s a behemoth of a software and so complicated I can’t use simpler software (like MS Project) because my brain can’t comprehend their simple ways anymore. :sweat_smile:

As for Schiit gear that pulled me in, they were the original Modi and Vali. I’ve tried a bunch of gear over the years in this hobby, but I always come back to Schiit. Bifrost 2 is an endgame DAC for my headphone rig (until 3 comes along), and I hope to build a kickass living room rig with big Schiit in the coming years.
take a look at Exepron! https://exepron.com/
they seem to have made projects in a streamlined way. Give people the information they need when they need it.
Like Schiit, they have a goal to make a great product that improve people's lives!

Dec 4, 2021 at 9:59 PM Post #85,520 of 148,650
Geez, man! Don't you know this is how all high end heists start?
"My shipment got intercepted. Send in the assassins!"
I know and trust my contacts lol, often they are just folks trying to get by however they can. I also have many friends who emigrated who advise me.😁 One is a Belarusian card partner with whom I competed in the US and Canada. She is wicked smart.

Dec 4, 2021 at 10:24 PM Post #85,521 of 148,650
Inmytaxi said, "JOT2 DCA Aeon RT or Aeon 2 and you're done with the hobby)..."

This has me interested because I was considering buying the Elex, Drop Aeon Closed, or EMU teak....

Elex generally great "reference" type phone, but horrible QC and some say it sounds "weird".

Drop Aeon Closed.. reports of not enough bass.

EMU Teak... I want removable cables, but not for the $500 it costs now.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2021 at 1:45 AM Post #85,523 of 148,650
Inmytaxi said, "JOT2 DCA Aeon RT or Aeon 2 and you're done with the hobby)..."

This has me interested because I was considering buying the Elex, Drop Aeon Closed, or EMU teak....

Elex generally great "reference" type phone, but horrible QC and some say it sounds "weird".

Drop Aeon Closed.. reports of not enough bass.

EMU Teak... I want removable cables, but not for the $500 it costs now.
Aeon closed bass is fine, pretty neutral as presented. If/when I want a bit more (seldom, but it happens), a member of the Loki family steps up to the plate… Did I mention that the Aeons are the most comfy headphones I own? Also have the Aeon 2 i the Open config. Not getting rid of either.

Dec 5, 2021 at 5:34 AM Post #85,526 of 148,650
My hope for the Tyr is that it will provide Aegir quality sound but with stronger bass (the Aegir's weakness).
That is a very special conclusion IMHO.
A pre-amp and power-amp are the most linear part of the audio chain.
There can be a bad / good / better / best matching between amp and speakers that affects the sound, but and amp with weak bass?

Dec 5, 2021 at 5:59 AM Post #85,527 of 148,650
My hope for the Tyr is that it will provide Aegir quality sound but with stronger bass (the Aegir's weakness).
You can't really blame weak bass on Aegir.

You have to remember that it's not a high power amp, and even in 8 ohm mono it only puts out 80 watts, which isn't going to produce a lot of bass unless you have a VERY efficient bass driver which 99.9999% of speakers do not have. When you see high sensitivity speakers (which are what work best with Aegir) that is because they have efficient mids and (mainly) tweeters which are almost always of the horn or metal dome variety which I personally cannot stand.

Tyr "should" offer the best of both Vidar and Aegir, I guess we'll see once they are available.

I wish Schiit would offer a "trade in" or upgrade path to go from Vidar/Aegir to Tyr, they could then refurbish the older units and pass them on to new customers.

Dec 5, 2021 at 6:16 AM Post #85,528 of 148,650
Im saving for this endgame product. There is nothing can beat something that alter the sound the way you want.

Dec 5, 2021 at 7:22 AM Post #85,529 of 148,650
You can't really blame weak bass on Aegir.

You have to remember that it's not a high power amp, and even in 8 ohm mono it only puts out 80 watts, which isn't going to produce a lot of bass unless you have a VERY efficient bass driver which 99.9999% of speakers do not have. When you see high sensitivity speakers (which are what work best with Aegir) that is because they have efficient mids and (mainly) tweeters which are almost always of the horn or metal dome variety which I personally cannot stand.

Tyr "should" offer the best of both Vidar and Aegir, I guess we'll see once they are available.

I wish Schiit would offer a "trade in" or upgrade path to go from Vidar/Aegir to Tyr, they could then refurbish the older units and pass them on to new customers.
My speakers are not efficient at all (Quad ESL63) max 85 dB.
Still there is no lack of bass whatsoever with mono Aegirs.

There is a trade-in program under the name Ebay

Dec 5, 2021 at 7:55 AM Post #85,530 of 148,650
Original craft distillers. These gentlemen are experts in the fine art of producing small batch corn likker.
"Fine" and "art" are probably not the first words I'd choose when referring to moonshine. :laughing::laughing:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back