Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 18, 2021 at 1:47 PM Post #82,126 of 148,400
We "upgraded" to a Denon DL-103 cartridge and were initially amazed - but after extended listening, discovered that connections to the cartridge were reversed. Lou noticed it, kept at it... Until that point, I also thought absolute phase was inaudible.... In this system NOT the case
A miswired cartridge was one of the cases where I heard phase problems. Rest of the family was, "You're making that up, sounds normal to us."

Sep 18, 2021 at 5:26 PM Post #82,127 of 148,400
I finally got around to the final mod for my Vali mini

Attachments

• C31FDF3C-4A70-440A-BCCF-7DB1562F7875.jpeg
    C31FDF3C-4A70-440A-BCCF-7DB1562F7875.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 47D38EE0-C825-4158-9C00-6468045AB1B8.jpeg
    47D38EE0-C825-4158-9C00-6468045AB1B8.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 11B87959-AC2C-4A29-9220-0488D240F6E4.jpeg
    11B87959-AC2C-4A29-9220-0488D240F6E4.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Sep 18, 2021 at 7:00 PM Post #82,128 of 148,400
Sep 18, 2021 at 11:01 PM Post #82,129 of 148,400
Sep 19, 2021 at 3:09 AM Post #82,130 of 148,400
I think spending > $1000 to add a sub for a rig that cost < $3000 would not be wise distribution of funds. While Rhythmic makes world-class products, there's lots of good subs out there for < $500.
My SVS pro 2 or w/e works great, and you can adjust the x-over with the phone from the sweat spot. This alone should convince most that any difference in sound in outweighed by this feature in most systems.

Sep 19, 2021 at 8:36 AM Post #82,134 of 148,400
I am curious if anyone has ever experienced a specific noise coming from a Gungnir? This is not a music related noise but more of a relay chatter that can be caused by a control voltage drop. It took me a while to eliminate all other gear and I heard it this morning when I turned on the Gungnir. (Normally I run it all day and the chatter would come and go.) I am going to monitor my line voltage just to be sure I get no drop there. Oh and I checked, Finnegan was not behind the rack with a cat toy. :ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2021 at 8:50 AM Post #82,135 of 148,400
I am curious if anyone has ever experienced a specific noise coming from a Gungnir? This is not a music related noise but more of a relay chatter that can be caused by a control voltage drop. It took me a while to eliminate all other gear and I heard it this morning when I turned on the Gungnir. (Normally I run it all day and the chatter would come and go.) I am going to monitor my line voltage just to be sure I get no drop there. Oh and I checked, Finnegan was not behind the rack with a cat toy. :ksc75smile:

If I pause my Cambridge CXC transport while it's providing the input to my Gungnir MB the Gumby's relay will start 'chattering' until the input signal is restored. I first noticed this when I replaced my CD players with the CXC. The relay chatter doesn't occur with either of my CD players providing the input.

JC

Sep 19, 2021 at 9:10 AM Post #82,136 of 148,400
If I pause my Cambridge CXC transport while it's providing the input to my Gungnir MB the Gumby's relay will start 'chattering' until the input signal is restored. I first noticed this when I replaced my CD players with the CXC. The relay chatter doesn't occur with either of my CD players providing the input.

JC
A very good point, I will try it with and without input signal. Normally there is not one present unless I leave Tidal running all the time so this may well come and go with no signal present, this morning it was obvious when I turned the Gungnir on but since it warmed up all is well. It was fine for three years with or without signal.

I will also clean the coaxial RCA connectors coming from my computer to the Gungnir, on occasion I have had issues but a good cleanup with 99% isopropyl should help. This would be a tough one to troubleshoot and I want to eliminate any possible issues on my end first of course.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2021 at 9:29 AM Post #82,137 of 148,400
'Covi-pass' and 'Freedom'. Odd name for a pair of DACs. Are they Multibit?? :thinking:
My diseased mind immediately went to the scene in Apocalypse Now when the Colonel says, "I love the smell of napalm in the morning... it smells like... smells like FREEDOM". {{{{EDIT = misquoted... smells like VICTORY... SORRY}}}

My job really is taking a toll on my mental health. 2.5h of high school science class... in the afternoon... with kids that have been out of the lab for >1 year... and traumatised. Many with the mental scars of the pandemic. Grim... :triportsad:

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2021 at 9:39 AM Post #82,138 of 148,400
Hey guys, I have a scenario I would appreciate your opinions on

I have an all-Schiit audio system which includes the following components:
  • Turntable to Mani
  • Bifrost 2
  • Asgard 3
  • SYS (to be replaced by Freya S)
  • Loki mini + (to be upgraded to a Lokius in the future)
  • Vidar
  • Freya S – ordered yesterday, hopefully getting here by next week
So far everything is wired through cheap Monoprice RCA cables. Given that the Freya S will be here soon, I have decided to upgrade my interconnects and had been considering switching from RCAs to XLRs gradually (some of my current components are single ended only). At this time, I would only be able to connect the Bifrost through XLRs to the Freya S, the rest would still need to be RCA’s. Once I upgrade the Loki mini to the Lokius and perhaps going with a balanced headphone amp (Jotunheim?) I could be able to make the jump to fully balanced except for the Turntable and Mani.

After doing some research, my understanding is that unless connections need to be long (which is not my case), there are no perceptible differences in audio quality when comparing RCA vs XLR, except for perhaps an increase in volume when using XLR. If this is correct and there are no drawbacks if I stick with RCA’s, I could upgrade all my interconnects to good quality RCA’s (Blue Jeans or World’s best cables) and stick with RCA even when most of my gear will at some point include balanced options.

This makes more financial sense to me rather than upgrading to a mixture of good quality XLR and RCA’s right now and then buying additional XLR’s in the future once my gear allows.

My mind is almost set on sticking with RCA’s unless you think I could be losing something by staying single-ended. Any inputs will be appreciated.
Christ almighty. You are seriously kitted out. Very nice @Tarkus1984 . I've been able to avoid XLR and all kinds of weird hum by carefully arranging my cables. I like the balanced connections because they appear more physically robust. I've lost several HiFi extension cables due to cable fatigue (my current home doesn't have the airflow to safely set up a soldering station... thus allowing me to replace all my Amazon Basics, Monoprice, recycled cablevision cables with robust connections as they physically wear out).
My vote (from the peanut gallery), is stick with RCA connections and put your money into MORE high-end headphones and MORE loudspeakers. Oh, and get some seriously Gucci turntables. :ksc75smile:

Sep 19, 2021 at 9:45 AM Post #82,139 of 148,400
Sep 19, 2021 at 9:48 AM Post #82,140 of 148,400
35 W * 8760 hr/year(365 days) = 306600 Wh = 306.6 kWh. At the horrible rate I have, it is 10.9147 cents per kWh over 1000 kWh used per month in the summer (highest fixed kWh rate for family dwelling) or $33.47 per year.
Interesting!
We're planning our integrated power system for our future home-build. I'm looking at my listening nook right now and am wondering how to thunderously power it all up... rock out... yet not drain our battery bank, cause our DC-to-AC inverter to flake out... and the propane generator to keep kicking on. My spouse has agreed that we SHOULD have a non-headphone sound system. I want (don't need) 2 Vidars powering 2 hogs-of-speakers... playing insane bompatron (I want to feel the music in my gonads). :o2smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back