Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 17, 2021 at 7:17 AM Post #82,096 of 148,978
Yes, I heard that too. However my own experience differed.
For me Unison was not as good as RCA or BNC or AES. Haven't tried toslink.

I was hoping Unison would solve the problem with dacs sensitivity to the source. For me the source of the bits has been at least as important as the dac.
I tried the Unison USB input on my Yggy ( although not with a Unison USB source, as I don't have one...)

I also preferred AES, RCA and BNC inputs

In my set up, I liked BNC the best.

I will wait to see what the reaction is from other users to the URD's Unison USB output once it is launched, as that is the only reason I would buy the Schiit CD transport instead of far cheaper options like Audiolab CDT 6000 at about £380 in the UK.

I have always been very sceptical about USB for audio ( and so was Mike for many years...) but he seems very confident that Unison USB output from the Urd is very special.

I have a lot of faith in Mike and Jason so will reserve judgement.:relaxed:

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2021 at 9:49 AM Post #82,097 of 148,978
I tried the Unison USB input on my Yggy ( although not with a Unison USB source, as I don't have one...)

I will wait to see what the reaction is from other users to the URD's Unison USB output once it is launched, as that is the only reason I would buy the Schiit CD transport instead of far cheaper options like Audiolab CDT 6000 at about £380 in the UK.

I have always been very sceptical about USB for audio ( and so was Mike was for many years...) but he seems very confident that Unison USB output from the Urd is very special.

Yep, BNC has been the best for me. I'm committed to streaming (NAS and Qobuz) so no urd for me. Haven't listened to a disk in about 20 years.

Sep 17, 2021 at 11:16 AM Post #82,098 of 148,978
I do believe Mike said Unison USB now yields the best sound....
Oh, I get that - and if it's available, use it! But look at the general hassle they had in producing it. And, of course, it's only available on (some) Schiit gear. Which still leaves the Rpi case of the OP unaddressed.

Sep 17, 2021 at 2:18 PM Post #82,099 of 148,978

I have always been very sceptical about USB for audio ( and so was Mike was for many years...) but he seems very confident that Unison USB output from the Urd is very special.

1631902258096.png

Interesting, but is Unison the key to better sound and at that primarily with computer/streaming sources?
Or is it the seriously accurate clocking in the URD that Mike talks about?
Will Unison URD to Unison Yggdrasil be significantly/noticeably better sounding than using RCA, BNC,, or AES?
Inquiring minds want to know!
I've been quite satisfied with AES since I bought my first Yggdrasil mid 2016 and I'm CD only for source.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2021 at 4:27 PM Post #82,100 of 148,978
1631902258096.png

Interesting, but is Unison the key to better sound and at that primarily with computer/streaming sources?
Or is it the seriously accurate clocking in the URD that Mike talks about?
Will Unison URD to Unison Yggdrasil be significantly/noticeably better sounding than using RCA, BNC,, or AES?
Inquiring minds want to know!
I've been quite satisfied with AES since I bought my first Yggdrasil mid 2016 and I'm CD only for source.
I'll be very surprised if Unison USB sounds 'better' than a well implemented BNC/RCA/ AES output.

Sep 17, 2021 at 5:06 PM Post #82,101 of 148,978
- This system does not have the base slam that my old system had in its prime. The Advents were well known for being bass forward and the beefy 105 wpc of the Hafler amp really made this aspect shine. While the bass is very solid with this pairing, I would say it is more polite and refined but lacking in raw impact.
There are some really affordable subwoofers out there that can let you dial in as much bass slam as you want. Think SVS, Rythmik, PowerAudio.

Sep 17, 2021 at 5:11 PM Post #82,103 of 148,978
I'll be very surprised if Unison USB sounds 'better' than a well implemented BNC/RCA/ AES output.
In theory USB audio class 2 should be the holy grail. The dac has control of timing and gets all the bits. What else is there. I don't know but there must be something. Maybe we need Unison 2.0

Sep 17, 2021 at 5:16 PM Post #82,104 of 148,978
In theory USB audio class 2 should be the holy grail. The dac has control of timing and gets all the bits. What else is there. I don't know but there must be something. Maybe we need Unison 2.0

It's not what else is there, it's what's there that I don't need or want.

JC

Sep 17, 2021 at 5:18 PM Post #82,105 of 148,978
Plus, I'd love to own speakers in the future which don't need them.
Depending on what you mean by need it's always helpful to have subwoofers to fight room modes. Or something like the AudioKinesis Swarm.

Sep 17, 2021 at 5:23 PM Post #82,106 of 148,978
Because otherwise... if it's meant to be used with multiple sources... you'd need to regularly switch between them somehow... but apparently that would make it a preamp. Or does it only make it a preamp if it's switched with a remote control? If I use a long rod from the couch to push the button, am I still avoiding the sneaky metamorphosis from DAC to preamp?
I have a Lyngdorf preamp with digital out that I'm considering parting with. That digital out used to go to my Gungnir MB.
Nowadays, I only have one source.

Sep 17, 2021 at 5:33 PM Post #82,107 of 148,978
I could not hear any diff with phase switching, but it's likely just me.
When I've had phase issues the music seems to expand and come from strange places. Like, once, the vocalist came from the right hand wall instead of between speakers.

Sep 17, 2021 at 6:44 PM Post #82,108 of 148,978
When I've had phase issues the music seems to expand and come from strange places. Like, once, the vocalist came from the right hand wall instead of between speakers.
I've had something like that when I wired one speaker out of phase. Quite confusing at first.

Inverting the phase for both channels should be pretty subtle, like the bass being a bit muffled because the woofer first moves inward than outward.

Sep 17, 2021 at 7:27 PM Post #82,109 of 148,978
I've had something like that when I wired one speaker out of phase. Quite confusing at first.

Inverting the phase for both channels should be pretty subtle, like the bass being a bit muffled because the woofer first moves inward than outward.
Loudspeakers wired out of phase with each other is pretty easily audible. But if both speakers of a stereo set are in phase with each other, then there is no issue if the "neg" is connected to the "pos" of the amp. It makes no difference.

Sep 17, 2021 at 10:25 PM Post #82,110 of 148,978
It depends on what counts as "well implemented." For my Yggdrasil A2 Unison: Auralic Aries Femto AES < Allo USBridge + Sbooster USB < Pi2AES + Meanwell SMPS AES.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back