Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 14, 2021 at 8:58 PM Post #82,007 of 149,007
Just to add to this heated remote debate, I have 3 Schiit remote controllable devices (Freya, Rag 2, BF2) and I have yet to take any of the remotes out of their bubble wrap. Call me old fashioned I guess. Or I just have a small room. 🤷‍♂️
Is the volume knob always in reach? I watch a lot of YouTube videos and need to adjust the volume frequently.

I can totally see the number of people actually using it with a remote being quite small. But I'd be surprised if it were lower than the number of people using the phase inversion button.

Also, has anyone ever benefited from the "bad gear" light? Let's say it actually did light up, did you replace that bad component?

Sep 14, 2021 at 9:01 PM Post #82,008 of 149,007
I use a separate DAC with each digital source. My digital sources include streamer, CD transport and direct off a PC via USB. They feed an analog preamp.

In my home theater, the Anthem AVM60 functions as a digital preamp for all the various digital sources except for the music streamer in that system, where I use a Gungnir Multibit sending analog to the Anthem.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2021 at 9:02 PM Post #82,009 of 149,007
I'm sympathetic to that, but convenience/usability plays a major role as well for me. I would have liked to prevent my TV from having internet access, but its built-in apps are the only way to play 24p video without judder, so I caved. I would prefer to keep the streamer on the guest network, but the Spotify/BluOS app on my phone (with stickers covering the front cameras) can't find it then, same for the Chromecast Audio. It's nice that both the Echo Dot and TP-Link smart plugs work fine on the guest network without access to other devices on the same network, just internet. Adds some latency, but if someone hacks those devices, they still aren't "inside" my network so long as the router security holds up. Yes, a device that understands me without sending my voice recordings to the cloud would be preferable. It's inconsistent to give Amazon lots of training data in the form of voice samples while deliberately only saying "Hello" when an unknown number calls, I know.

Taking these things hyper seriously is about as fun as being vegan. "Hello, could you kindly tell me if the glue on the beer bottle's label contains any lactose, by chance?"

We should all watch the Battlestar Galactica remake and start identifying the Cylons of our time.

Though I will maintain that infrared remotes are not that. 😛
I will say my comment was half tongue in cheek, but I also approach the software differently - I don't have Alexa, I don't have Spotify/Chromecast/Echo. No smart plugs as of yet, and view them like a clapper.

Sep 14, 2021 at 9:03 PM Post #82,010 of 149,007
Also, has anyone ever benefited from the "bad gear" light? Let's say it actually did light up, did you replace that bad component?
Yes, and yes. It showed me that the DIY Pi solution I initially tried to use as a streamer had crap USB out. I replaced it with a purpose-built streamer (Sonore Ultrarendu.) No further issues.

Sep 14, 2021 at 9:07 PM Post #82,011 of 149,007
Did folks have a TV for each channel back in the day before remote controls? Idk, I'm a millennial and was born after remotes :p They just got up, changed the channel, and enjoyed.
Back in my day, younger siblings served as remote controls. :smile:

I *do* remember the first TV remote we had...with a 25' long cable and one button that actuated a motor on the rotary channel knob. One direction only, but then there were only 13 channels to spin around through...

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2021 at 9:07 PM Post #82,012 of 149,007
Yes, and yes. It showed me that the DIY Pi solution I initially tried to use as a streamer had crap USB out. I replaced it with a purpose-built streamer (Sonore Ultrarendu.) No further issues.
Which... depending on how you had it setup, is likely true. Now, if you had the Allo USB solution, I'd be a bit more surprised.

The Pi2AES hat is amazing for the money, though.

Sep 14, 2021 at 9:12 PM Post #82,013 of 149,007
I use a separate DAC with each digital source. My digital sources include streamer, CD transport and direct off a PC via USB. They feed an analog preamp.
Wow! Based on your signature, the streamer got the Yggdrasil, which DACs are you using for the other two?

Interesting. Would you have been okay with it instead flashing the input's LED and not producing audio? I think I'd be fine with a VCXO-only Yggdrasil.

I *do* remember the first remote we had...with a 25' long cable and one button that actuated a motor on the rotary channel knob. One direction only, but then there were only 13 channels to spin around through...
Oh dear. Maybe I should stop complaining about having to click "next input" four times to go from 2 past 3, 4, 5 to 1 on my Ragnarok 2.

Sep 14, 2021 at 9:14 PM Post #82,014 of 149,007
Wasn't sure where else to ask this, but has anyone got one of the new ESS DAC cards?

Just want to check the USB-C input, I'm planning to use iPhone/iPad, I assume a standard Lightning-USB-C cable should work, right?

Sep 14, 2021 at 9:22 PM Post #82,016 of 149,007
Wow! Based on your signature, the streamer got the Yggdrasil, which DACs are you using for the other two?
Yes, UR to Yggdrasil, Northstar 192 CD transport through its stand-alone Model 192DAC, both feeding analog to the Solaris, and USB out from a PC through a Wavelength Proton to a Schiit Magni and Senn 580 headphones for casual things like YouTube. I seldom use the CD directly these days, preferring to listen using the Roon system.

Sep 14, 2021 at 9:24 PM Post #82,017 of 149,007
My point is if the system needs the ability to switch between multiple sources then it requires a preamp.
Except that the goal is switching between digital sources, while a preamp is an analog source switcher and level adjuster. The Schiit co-founders talked about a digital "preamp" at some point, but AFAIK nothing came of it.

Sep 14, 2021 at 9:25 PM Post #82,018 of 149,007
No. Sometimes I have to run and turn it down when my wife comes home unexpectedly. Hmmm, maybe I should open the remote after all.
Volume is certainly the most important remote feature in my eyes. Especially if you're streaming music. I don't like any of the normalization algorithms I've heard so far, but each track can be at wildly different levels. Going from classical to EDM can be quite a treat.

Was probably not quite as crucial during the analog days since people listened to music on a per album/disc/tape basis, which would've likely had similar levels between tracks.

So, volume controls do seem almost like a necessity these days if you spend a good amount of time streaming.

Sep 14, 2021 at 9:32 PM Post #82,019 of 149,007
Is the volume knob always in reach?
Obviously I selected the table size before deciding on the big schiit stack. Needless to say I have no idea where my remote is.

20210730_151848.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2021 at 9:56 PM Post #82,020 of 149,007
Maybe I was in a drunken stupor, but I'm pretty sure I read a post where Mike was kicking around the idea of an upgraded front plate and remote for Yggy to switch between inputs as nice-to-have for Yggy owners. I'm sure it would need a formate update and as such would not be a self-install offering. 😕

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back