Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 4, 2021 at 6:14 PM Post #81,437 of 148,560
Sep 4, 2021 at 8:57 PM Post #81,440 of 148,560
My suggestion: Open a free Spotify trial account. Use one of the 3rd party transfer services (Soundiiz, MusConv, etc) to export from Spotify and import to Qobuz, Tidal, Apple, etc.
Is anyone else scratching their head right now? The streaming services pay for the rights to stream music, I doubt if said services want unauthorized music to be added on or am I missing something here? 😀

I could see music being added to a music player such as Jriver etc.

Anyone remember Napster? It became a legal streaming service that charges for subscriptions.

Sep 4, 2021 at 9:07 PM Post #81,441 of 148,560
Is anyone else scratching their head right now? The streaming services pay for the rights to stream music, I doubt if said services want unauthorized music to be added on or am I missing something here? 😀

Anyone remember Napster? It became a legal streaming service that charges for subscriptions.
You're just exporting the metadata, artist and album name, song titles, etc.

Sep 4, 2021 at 9:23 PM Post #81,442 of 148,560
You're just exporting the metadata, artist and album name, song titles, etc.
Thanks for explaining. I run Tidal and it seems that info is there unless you are talking specifics like Music that appeared on the Bosch series which is where the conversation started.😀

Sep 4, 2021 at 9:44 PM Post #81,443 of 148,560

The idea is to create playlists in other streaming services that contain the same tracks as in a given Spotify playlist. Or if you have a Spotify account and a Qobuz account, keep your playlists in sync if possible.

You could do all of that manually, it's just tedious.

Either way, you're limited to whichever songs are available on the respective streaming service.

Sep 4, 2021 at 9:53 PM Post #81,444 of 148,560

This is a good read How Music Got Free: A Story of Obsession and Invention

Sep 4, 2021 at 10:07 PM Post #81,445 of 148,560
The idea is to create playlists in other streaming services that contain the same tracks as in a given Spotify playlist. Or if you have a Spotify account and a Qobuz account, keep your playlists in sync if possible.

You could do all of that manually, it's just tedious.

Either way, you're limited to whichever songs are available on the respective streaming service.
So has anyone done this? Can you make such an addition to Tidal? I just thought they would be more of a closed system but I studied engineering not computer science.😀

Sep 4, 2021 at 10:19 PM Post #81,446 of 148,560
Is anyone else scratching their head right now? The streaming services pay for the rights to stream music,

It’s a dark science, far more complicated than that. And then there’s the distributors in between, interfacing with the labels, which own the rights, and then the contracts with the…

I doubt if said services want unauthorized music to be added on or am I missing something here? 😀

Yeah I think you made a leap here. Nothing suggested here would add music to a service to stream to others. Exporting a list to another service is fine. If the list contents are not present in he other service, your importer will usually say so and that’s that.

Trying to forget those days. Brrr..

r

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2021 at 10:25 PM Post #81,447 of 148,560
I may check it out thanks. I can recall students getting busted for sharing music files over Napster. As I recall AC/DC was behind a lawsuit. I am not sure of the penalties that were actually charged but legally it was something like $1200 per song. There were some very worried students, faculty, staff as well as children of faculty around here.😜 I am sure the laws have changed since then.

Sep 4, 2021 at 10:33 PM Post #81,448 of 148,560
So has anyone done this? Can you make such an addition to Tidal? I just thought they would be more of a closed system but I studied engineering not computer science.😀
All these streaming services have apps that run on your computer, tablet, or phone, and talk to some server(s) in the cloud. Essentially you sign in, which results in a unique, unguessable token, and you can use that token to tell the server what to do with your account (how you do all that is defined in an API - application programming interface).

Spotify documents their API here, for instance:
https://developer.spotify.com/documentation/web-api/

I have used that API myself to access metadata like genre, which the app does not expose. I was hoping to use that to automatically categorize songs in my "liked songs" list into genre specific playlists (using the same APIs those syncing services use). Unfortunately (at least at the time) Spotify only has genre information on the album level, not for each track.

Another neat way to use this API is with Flic buttons - little Bluetooth LE (low energy) buttons that send a signal to a hub (can be the Flic app running on a tablet or phone), and you can configure what actions to take in response. Through plugins in the hub, you can do lots of interesting things. There is a Spotify plugin for the hub, so I was able to configure a Flic button to tell Spotify to skip to the next song if I press it once, play/pause if I double click the button, and go to the previous song if I long press it. To make that work, you login to your Spotify account with the plugin and give it some permissions. The plugin persists the token, and uses it with the Spotify API when I use the button, just like the app would.

All of the streaming services have APIs, though some or all of the functionality may be restricted to the official apps, and is not publicly documented. But that's difficult to secure properly, so with some effort you could record the network traffic the app sends and receives and reverse engineer the protocol.

I think that's how the Spotify plugin for foobar2000 is able to get the actual audio stream so that you can use it just like any other audio. If that were officially supported by Spotify, you'd probably have Roon support for it. Same for Amazon Music.

Qobuz and Tidal seem to have made that part easy and as a result you can access music from them through third party software like Roon, USB Audio Player Pro, BubbleUPNP, etc.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2021 at 10:34 PM Post #81,449 of 148,560
It’s a dark science, far more complicated than that. And then there’s the distributors in between, interfacing with the labels, which own the rights, and then the contracts with the…

Yeah I think you made a leap here. Nothing suggested here would add music to a service to stream to others. Exporting a list to another service is fine. If the list contents are not present in he other service, your importer will usually say so and that’s that.

Trying to forget those days. Brrr..

r
My bad, I misinterpreted what people were hoping for and now it makes more sense. Spotify showed music that was made for the Bosch series and it sure is not on Tidal that I can find.😀

My son studied computer science while my education was in engineering and business so I am woefully lacking in such information.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2021 at 10:39 PM Post #81,450 of 148,560
I may check it out thanks. I can recall students getting busted for sharing music files over Napster. As I recall AC/DC was behind a lawsuit. I am not sure of the penalties that were actually charged but legally it was something like $1200 per song. There were some very worried students, faculty, staff as well as children of faculty around here.😜 I am sure the laws have changed since then.

Metallica were the first ones to violently sue Napster.

The student lawsuits were more nuanced, and that was the recording industry (not bands). Some students had websites that made it easier to find crap in Napster. The settlements were under 20k IIRC.

Apple meanwhile decided not to treat kids like criminals and brokered an amazing DRM-laced compromise with the recording companies. And it allowed them to peddle more Low-Fi silicon than anyone could have imagined. And by 2004, it was a brave new world:

I had the 40GB iPod. I did not care it did not sound like Vinyl. I had all my crap in my back pack. I dreamt one day we’d get portable digital HiFi… and here we are. I’d say today it’s the best we’ve ever had it for music lovers.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back