Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 2, 2021 at 11:00 PM Post #81,361 of 148,982
LOL! Actually, I have no memory of the day of the accident or the 3 days after until I woke up in the hospital. No memories of the bad day means no qualms about going back out on the slopes. B has pictures, so I know what happened.
Something similar happened to me this year. I lost fifteen minutes, not three days. It took me two weeks of questioning my mates to piece together what happened.

My daughter played rugby as a club sport, I believe one or two of the girls had ear protectors, otherwise it is like football without the pads. plenty of injuries.

The biggest thing I remember is it can take 15 pounds of pressure or less to rip off a human ear. Enough to worry a father anyway. :ksc75smile:
Kind of true. There are differences in the rules between rugby and American football which serve to protect rugby players somewhat. Provided they are taught the fundamentals properly and the referee is on his (or her) toes.

Rugby is a great sport to play. One of the things which impressed me most about rugby is in a sport with so much opportunity for foul play how rarely it happens. Generally, a great bunch of people.

I played rugby for 35 years... 22 of it as a prop... a lot more than 15 pounds of pressure in a scrum.
Yikes. I retired after eight seasons (ten years, took one off for a blown ACL, one off when our son was born). I simply couldn't keep up with the kids (on or off the field) anymore. Really, I was too divided to play: when I was training I wished I was at home with our kids, when I was home with our kids I knew I should have been training and not letting my team down.

Props are crazy, it's much safer in the back row. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad there are crazies out there, I substituted as a hooker a few times (refs, at least in TX, were very cautious about letting guys "sub" as props, it's a very technical position with lots of ways to be injured).

Sep 2, 2021 at 11:07 PM Post #81,362 of 148,982
Gravity's Rainbow is an opening sentence followed by 759 pages of metaphors. :ksc75smile: You might not want to take on Ulysses and Finnegan's Wake. A book I really enjoyed was A Gentleman in Moscow, it is well worth the read. My reading has slowed down some, I now struggle to get through three or four books a week.
Funny post...

I've heard of A Gentleman in Moscow, but haven't tried reading it.

I'm a big James Joyce fan... but I read those novels over the years, they mean something different. POPPYSEEDCAKE for all
I've thought of trying Joyce, but haven't yet. I keep getting distracted by music.

A Suitable Boy and A Fine Balance are longer novels that I still think about. The characters became so familiar i remember them like people.

On another tangent, On the Road and Catcher in the Rye are others I still reflect upon. Every time I attend union meetings Animal Farm is all I can think about.

Is literature on the tangent?
On the Road and Catcher in the Rye are not for me... While I know Kerouac's style is part of the adventure, it just got in my way and bothered me. I never could identify with Holden's troubles. I even revisited his angst as an adult... There is so much junior high and high school literature wasted on teenagers. I hope at least some kids go back and try reading some of the books they hated again when they're older.

Sep 2, 2021 at 11:14 PM Post #81,363 of 148,982
I'm sure there's room in the sinewave, but try not to mention Whiskey, cats, or dogs with bows as I cannot think of an advisable way of combining bows with such things.
I did see the uptick in discussion on bow & arrows, and immediately contemplated adding it to an updated SchiitSine wave..... lemme see

Sep 2, 2021 at 11:16 PM Post #81,364 of 148,982
I just added a Jotunheim 2 to my very Schiity system. I'm not convinced I have things hooked up optimally (though it all sounds good to me)....

I have Sol/Magni and Modius going to a Freya S, which goes balanced to Jot 2, which goes balanced to two Vidars, single ended to a sub, and balanced to headphones. I have the volume all the way up on the Jot and use the Freya to adjust volume. When using headphones I flip the preamp out switch on Jot to off. When using speakers I unplug the headphones and flip the preamp switch to on.

I'm not thrilled about having Jot in the loudspeaker chain, don't like having to plug/unplug the headphones when changing listening modes, and would prefer to use Jot volume for headphones and Freya volume for speakers. Any suggestions to improve this? When will Schiit offer a SYS+ that has balanced and single-ended connections?
You could use the Modius single ended, connect both the Magni and Modius to a SYS solely as an input switch, then use RCA splitters or Y cables to connect the SYS's output to both the Freya S and the Jotunheim. Vidars and subwoofer to the Freya S, headphones to Jotunheim.

Or use RCA splitters on the Magni and XLR splitters (or RCA splitters) on the Modius, connect both to the Freya S and Jotunheim at the same time. So you could listen to the Modius with your speakers while listening to your Magni with the Jotunheim (or vice versa), theoretically.
Provided the Modius doesn't act up like the Yggdrasil when a connected device shorts its inputs (say, when turned off), though maybe the Freya S and Jotunheim don't do that.

Sep 2, 2021 at 11:20 PM Post #81,366 of 148,982
Back from a vacation with no Schiit. A bit over two-and-a-half hours in and my craving is almost satisfied. Equal parts enjoying the music and enjoying the sound.

Also, I checked the list: #24. Apparently the Gungnir elves have been busy.

Sep 2, 2021 at 11:21 PM Post #81,367 of 148,982
Sep 2, 2021 at 11:22 PM Post #81,368 of 148,982
Funny post...

I've heard of A Gentleman in Moscow, but haven't tried reading it.

I've thought of trying Joyce, but haven't yet. I keep getting distracted by music.

On the Road and Catcher in the Rye are not for me... While I know Kerouac's style is part of the adventure, it just got in my way and bothered me. I never could identify with Holden's troubles. I even revisited his angst as an adult... There is so much junior high and high school literature wasted on teenagers. I hope at least some kids go back and try reading some of the books they hated again when they're older.
There are books I loved but never want to read again. I was happy to read On the Road and Catcher at certain periods of my life but I would much rather go back and read su The Secret History by Donna Tarrt. Movies are the same way for me, I thought Sophie's choice was remarkable yet I never want to see it again. Give me a Kubrick movie and I am there. Same with Shawshank Redemption, or anything by Walter Tevis. The Hustler, Color of Money, and recently the Queens Gambit. ( I have watched it 7 or 8 times and replayed all the games.)

Sep 2, 2021 at 11:25 PM Post #81,369 of 148,982
Sep 2, 2021 at 11:28 PM Post #81,370 of 148,982
Sep 3, 2021 at 12:38 AM Post #81,371 of 148,982
My book adventures are far less grand, but just as exciting and dangerous! As a teenager, I would frequently drift off to Mars, pretending to be John Carter, rescuing Princess Dejah Thoris from her various life threatening perils. Back on Earth, I often visited deepest, darkest Africa, following Tarzan, as he fought off savages, while trying to avoid torture and death. Many times I trod the blood-stained paths of Conan, hoping I never made an enemy of him. Middle Earth found me too, as I hid in the shadows from Orcs, or tried not to attract the attention of the Eye of Sauron. Even now, I far too often have to travel to Chicago, helping private eye and wizard Harry Dresden, save the city from the advances of darkness.

That's me, always wanting to be the hero, but usually playing the fool. At least with Schiit, I can control the soundtrack, that plays along in my imagination. :grinning:

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2021 at 6:18 AM Post #81,372 of 148,982
I know some hard skiers with bionic knees... I'm no spring chicken, I've had 3 knee surgeries, and I have to manage very carefully by lower back with targeted exercise, so I avoid big mogul runs, but the photo below was this spring in the Tahoe backcountry...

Nice!!!

Headed out there the first week of April '22...looking forward to it as we've never been there. :)

We were fortunate to live in CO for a decade when we were in our 20's and the ski bug bit us. It's a great sport that you can do for most of your life if you stay in skiing shape and are fortunate enough to not have back/knee problems as you grow older.

Honestly, we fawn over gear in this forum, but the advances in skis have definitely made it easier to 'stay in the game'. I shudder to think if I had to ski on the slalom and GS boards I owned in the 70's and 80's :wink:

As far as moguls go, we still do them but not as often during a ski day. And...we're more selective about the mogul runs we choose now -- less blacks and more blues along with considering shape/spacing.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2021 at 8:08 AM Post #81,373 of 148,982
I just added a Jotunheim 2 to my very Schiity system. I'm not convinced I have things hooked up optimally (though it all sounds good to me)....

I have Sol/Magni and Modius going to a Freya S, which goes balanced to Jot 2, which goes balanced to two Vidars, single ended to a sub, and balanced to headphones. I have the volume all the way up on the Jot and use the Freya to adjust volume. When using headphones I flip the preamp out switch on Jot to off. When using speakers I unplug the headphones and flip the preamp switch to on.

I'm not thrilled about having Jot in the loudspeaker chain, don't like having to plug/unplug the headphones when changing listening modes, and would prefer to use Jot volume for headphones and Freya volume for speakers. Any suggestions to improve this? When will Schiit offer a SYS+ that has balanced and single-ended connections?
I would just split the signal out of your DAC and run one to Freya and one to Jot 2.

edit: I am assuming you mean Sol/Mani, not Magni?

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2021 at 9:38 AM Post #81,374 of 148,982
I finally got my new Schiit last week (Jotunheim 2) after a 3.5 month wait. This was to replace my Topping A50s and while I wasn't really expecting much of a difference, I've been VERY surprised with how much better everything sounds through the Jot. GREAT job Schiiters.

IMG_7597.jpeg

Sep 3, 2021 at 10:07 AM Post #81,375 of 148,982
Topping A50 measures great. Beats the Schiit out of the Jot2. But oh my what a difference in sound. I got rid of the A50 and have no second thoughts. Congrats on the new addition

Users who are viewing this thread

Back