Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 27, 2021 at 2:22 PM Post #81,016 of 145,767
One thing to keep in mind with dual Aegir/Vidar is the amp essentially sees half the resistance, for some speakers with particularly difficult impedance dips this could be an issue (could at least be part of the reason some people have found 1 amp to work better).

So I think it somewhat depends on the speaker choice if 1 or 2 is the best choice.

Aug 27, 2021 at 2:22 PM Post #81,017 of 145,767
Back in mid-March I ordered an Aegir with the intention of pairing it with some Dirty Weekend speakers from Zu Audio. I ordered the speakers during the March 25th sale, and yesterday they finally arrived.... It's early days, but so far my impressions are very positive.

ready to groove by davidflas, on Flickr

Are the speakers directly in front of a tall bed? The arrangement doesn't look ideal for best sound.

Aug 27, 2021 at 2:29 PM Post #81,018 of 145,767
I have never spent quality time with a tube amp, so I have no authority in that space, but must say the quality of your woodwork is masterful and if the amps sound half as good they must sound good indeed.
You are most kind and I hope you do get some time to spend with a quality tube amp.

After over 40 years in electronics the cabinetry was the fun part of my builds, SQ can be pretty subjective but it is always a pleasure when others appreciate your work.

I am now moving on to custom knife making as a hobby since my woodworking shop is geared toward smaller objects. I also drew up plans for headphone stands I want to make but I need to learn pottery slip casting first. Once again woodworking will come into play.

Aug 27, 2021 at 2:35 PM Post #81,020 of 145,767
Hmm I wonder if the two new flavours of Yggy are using these newer chips from TI?

https://www.ti.com/product/DAC11001A 20bit R-2R and the DAC81001 would be the 16bit version.

excited to hear more especially since I’m currently in back order for one :)
the DAC11001A is likely the 20-bit part. there aren't too many 20-bit DAC chips on TI's website. one is for seismic applications (max sample rate is waaaaay too low on one, another is D/S). also an 18-bit part on that same datasheet DAC91001 but not listed as an active part at TI, but maybe it's still in the design phase (datasheet is from q3 or q4 2019 and with COVID delays, etc...)

Nice to Schiit using newer parts (presumably newer parts are more efficiently manufactured and/or offer higher performance & cost efficiency vs older designs).

Also looking forward to a Modi E or Modius E with ESS9028 (tried a Modi 3+ and AKM "velvet sound" is a bit too velvety for me).

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2021 at 2:51 PM Post #81,022 of 145,767
I wonder if the new analog boards involve a new DSP board, to support the TI's... might be cool; could be new MegaComboBurritoFilter abilities, even on the original gangster.
Edit: Apparently not, from the site that shall not be named.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2021 at 3:04 PM Post #81,024 of 145,767
Aug 27, 2021 at 3:07 PM Post #81,025 of 145,767
One thing to keep in mind with dual Aegir/Vidar is the amp essentially sees half the resistance, for some speakers with particularly difficult impedance dips this could be an issue (could at least be part of the reason some people have found 1 amp to work better).

So I think it somewhat depends on the speaker choice if 1 or 2 is the best choice.
And there could be your difference (if there is any) between stereo and mono Aegir.
The match between amp and speaker is different.
There also is single ended and balanced interconnect between pre and power amp, so different pre out.
Difference in noise level because of higher output.

Aug 27, 2021 at 5:25 PM Post #81,026 of 145,767
I have never spent quality time with a tube amp, so I have no authority in that space, but must say the quality of your woodwork is masterful and if the amps sound half as good they must sound good indeed.
Believe me, as an old time tube amplifier listener and designer, his creations sound better than they look.

Aug 27, 2021 at 5:34 PM Post #81,027 of 145,767
Love the selfie!
Yes, that’s me on the screen….. Let me tell you, it was hard getting the carpet spikes in with my eyes facing different directions!

Aug 27, 2021 at 5:41 PM Post #81,028 of 145,767
Are the speakers directly in front of a tall bed? The arrangement doesn't look ideal for best sound.
Yes it is, it’s a temporary situation as I’m in an apartment while renovations happen to my new house.

Aug 27, 2021 at 5:57 PM Post #81,029 of 145,767
Aug 27, 2021 at 6:11 PM Post #81,030 of 145,767
This is supposed to be from an email that Schiit sent out:

Good news! Your Yggdrasil is ready to ship.

However, before we send it, we need to let you know about some Yggdrasil options that are coming in the next 2-4 weeks. These options are two lower-priced Yggdrasil models. There will soon be three Yggdrasil options:

• Yggdrasil Less Is More. Uses four (yes, 4) TI DAC8812 stereo 16-bit DACs and integrated differential amplification afterwards. Because it’s 16 bits, and because the DACs cost less than the other options, it is less expensive than any other version. It also measures a bit better than the Yggdrasil OG (!) despite being down 4 bits. This is the wonder and magic of dither. $2199
  • Yggdrasil More is Less. Middle priced. Uses four TI DAC11001 20-bit DACs and integrated differential amplification afterwards. These new DACs really push the limits of measured multibit performance. Although they are true 20-bit multibit architecture DACs, their integrated sample-and-hold provides measured performance near the top of today’s DACs. $2349
  • Yggdrasil OG. Also known as what you ordered or Yggdrasil Analog 2. Uses four Analog Devices 20-bit DACs and discrete analog buffering and summing afterwards. The only discrete Yggdrasil model, and the one that everyone has known and loved for the past few years. $2599, your price $2449. We are sorry that we do not have reviews or measurements available to help you decide yet, but before we ship the flavor boards, we intend to have a double-blind listening test with multiple reviewers and complete APx reports for both of the two models.
Source: https://old.reddit.com/r/Schiit/comments/pctbxv/new_schiit_yggdrasil_options_coming/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back