Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 27, 2021 at 12:16 PM Post #81,001 of 149,185
I have just noticed that my Gumby's optical in stopped working as well. What the heck happened with them?! 😳

Nice and sunny California weather, no thunderstorms, no electrical spikes; plus I'm using a pretty high quality surge protector for my gear anyway… Some weird Schiit!
Stuff happens. Contact Schiit using their web site.

Aug 27, 2021 at 12:22 PM Post #81,003 of 149,185
Hmm I wonder if the two new flavours of Yggy are using these newer chips from TI?

https://www.ti.com/product/DAC11001A 20bit R-2R and the DAC81001 would be the 16bit version.

excited to hear more especially since I’m currently in back order for one :)
Lots of Yggys burning in as of the video, and I think he said they'll reach out to people like you to give you a choice about which one you want.

Aug 27, 2021 at 1:03 PM Post #81,004 of 149,185
On the livestream last night Jason mentioned 3 models.

Yggy OG (A2 using AD 4x20bit)
Yggy “less is more” using 4x16bit TI
Yggy “more is less” using 4x20bit TI

Jason mentioned at least some preferred “less is more” and that “more is less” measures the best of the 3.

Cost wise OG is the most while less is more is the cheapest. Sounded like they’re working on some impressions/reviews to help people decide.
Apologies I completely missed that. Now I should go watch that video.

Aug 27, 2021 at 1:11 PM Post #81,006 of 149,185
Back in mid-March I ordered an Aegir with the intention of pairing it with some Dirty Weekend speakers from Zu Audio. I ordered the speakers during the March 25th sale, and yesterday they finally arrived.... It's early days, but so far my impressions are very positive.

ready to groove by davidflas, on Flickr

Love the selfie!

Aug 27, 2021 at 1:17 PM Post #81,007 of 149,185
Yggy A2 is currently $2599. Is that the price increase Jason mentioned in the video or is it going up more?

Curious what the price of the more is less / less is more Yggys will be also. Looking forward to some impressions.
Yup, prior to that it was $2449.

Aug 27, 2021 at 1:19 PM Post #81,008 of 149,185
Those are indeed very good tubes.

I designed a SET in order to win a wager, just 15 watts for efficient speakers, when I get some free time it will become a headphone amp as well. The power tubes are not something most folks would have heard of, they were used in Russian and German transmitters in WW 2. The research and getting pentodes to work as triodes was part of the fun. :ksc75smile:

I own some decent solid state amps but only use one as part of a 7.2 system, other wise it is just Class A tube amps for me. They take me back to my early days in audio and I hope to keep that alive for my son since he will inherit the majority of my gear.

My son got me into Schiit gear so both of us own plenty of that. I especially like the DAC's and the Freya +. There are a couple new products by Schiit that pique my interest and one most certainly involves tubes. :beerchug:

I have never spent quality time with a tube amp, so I have no authority in that space, but must say the quality of your woodwork is masterful and if the amps sound half as good they must sound good indeed.

Aug 27, 2021 at 1:37 PM Post #81,010 of 149,185
I've been thinking about this combo myself, and I'm wondering if one Aegir is enough to drive them. I know the DWs are efficient, but I've been considering two running in mono. Thoughts?
I have a single Aegir and it gets plenty loud for me. You could perhaps start with a single Aegir and if you need more volume you can add another one. I haven't listened to two Aegir monoblocks myself, but I've read that a Aegir in mono mode sounds slightly different.

Aug 27, 2021 at 1:50 PM Post #81,011 of 149,185
I have a single Aegir and it gets plenty loud for me. You could perhaps start with a single Aegir and if you need more volume you can add another one. I haven't listened to two Aegir monoblocks myself, but I've read that a Aegir in mono mode sounds slightly different.
I think I would definitely do that. All of the reviews I've seen say that the Aegir does indeed sound a little different in mono. And not everyone has liked that difference.

Appreciate the responses.

Aug 27, 2021 at 1:59 PM Post #81,013 of 149,185
It does, the stage slightly widens and the sound gets just a tad airier overall.
(Freya+ into two Aegirs into a pair of Q950s in my case)

But I also feel like I should mention that the speakers you choose and the room they're in will have a bigger impact on the sound that you get than whether you run them on a single Aegir or on two as mono blocks.

Aug 27, 2021 at 2:04 PM Post #81,014 of 149,185
Yup, prior to that it was $2449.
If this increase from 2449 to 2599 is all the increase there will be for the OG, then I'm more than happy with that. When Jason mentioned that the price will go up I expected the two new TIs to end up somewhere just below and above 2500, and the OG to go up to somewhere around 3k, to be honest. Especially considering Jason's comments about all the metal issues and component price hikes of late.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2021 at 2:16 PM Post #81,015 of 149,185
On 11 August I pulled the trigger and placed my order for a Bifrost 2 and a Jotunheim with the (at the time) AK4490 DAC module. Not in a big hurry for either but decided to finally go for it. I would occasionally check order status and would see the Jot was on "rolling backorder". Again, no biggie. A few minutes ago I get a notification that my card was charged for a big purchase...conveniently for the same amount as my order to Schiit. Looks like next week I'll be taking possession of some new Schiit!! :gs1000smile::beyersmile:

The big question now is will the Jot actually have the AK4490 or the ES9028 chip? Guess it's worth an email to Schiit to find out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back