Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 23, 2021 at 8:45 AM Post #80,746 of 149,161
if the CD rip > FLAC was encoded at a higher sample rate/ bit depth other than 44.1K/16, and/or the Node 2i resamples everything, then the comparison is not just about the interface, but the upsampler (Node 2i's vs megacomboburrito) as well. you might want to note that sampling rate and multiplier indicators on the Yggy for option A and option B tests. There might be some additional settings on the blue ray player to output the 44.1K/16 on the s/pdif coax as-is or upsample it to 48 or 96K

(added)
Gen 5 USB input modules for Bifrost OG / Gungnir / Yggy have the electromagnetic isolation to help reduce noise from the USB source, but don't have the dedicated PIC32 processor of Unison input modules.
I did a little digging (I'm curious because I own two Node 2is) and it appears that the Node doesn't upsample/downsample. Just FYI. :)

Screen Shot 2021-08-23 at 7.44.33 AM.png

from https://support1.bluesound.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360038611773-External-DAC

Aug 23, 2021 at 8:54 AM Post #80,747 of 149,161
But again, there's little reason to believe that if others cannot operate such businesses in the US profitably, Schiit could. So it's probably best not to try. I just like the imaginary scenario where it does work out, and Schiit triumphs instead of being mostly helpless victims of circumstances.

Let's hope ESS has more than one factory.
Not sure they have a Factory -
For more than three decades, ESS Technology has been on the cutting edge of audio technology. A privately-held fabless semiconductor company, ESS Technology designs and markets high-performance analog and HiFi audio devices for mobile, consumer, automotive, and professional audiophile systems.

Aug 23, 2021 at 9:42 AM Post #80,749 of 149,161
I have black, brushed aluminum, and chrome. All bases covered. :smile:
(excepting Hello Kitty pink which won't ever happen)

Room1.jpg
Oh, I don't know. I think a Hello Kitty pink something would fit right in sitting on top of those LPs. :smile:

Aug 23, 2021 at 9:49 AM Post #80,750 of 149,161
Interesting. So they design their circuits and farm out manufacturing to third parties. It kinda makes me curious who those third parties might be…
For our newer, more complicated system electronics, we farm out the PCBs to a (US) board house and then have them assembled by (again US) contract manufacturers. We get real quick and cheap proto board turns from a couple places in China. The Chinese companies are begging us to do our more complicated designs for a fraction of what we pay the US companies. Why? To get access to our schematics so they can copy them. Some of our designs are used in ITAR-restricted programs, so yeah, it ain't gonna happen.

Aug 23, 2021 at 10:21 AM Post #80,751 of 149,161
Interesting. So they design their circuits and farm out manufacturing to third parties. It kinda makes me curious who those third parties might be…
That is why we have the shortages around the world. some estimates have TSMC (Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing) making 60% of the world's chips.

Since it takes about 3 years to start a new plant, i expect their to be periodic shortages until 2024. The question is did ESS put in enough orders to cover AKM shortfall? Changing DAC chips is not a trivial exercise, so not all manufacturers maybe able to convert

Aug 23, 2021 at 10:24 AM Post #80,752 of 149,161
Hey all,

Just a quick announcement. That new non-product I mentioned? It's here now.

I'm speaking of our ES9028 DAC Module—a card for use in all of our modular products (Asgard, Jotunheim, and Lyr). It's our first ESS product. Others (Fulla e and Hel 2e) will soon follow. The redesign to ESS D/A converters after the AKM factory fire is one of the biggest reasons we've been slammed. Have 5 unexpected projects dumped in your lap, during a busy design year, and see how it goes for you!

ES9028 card main 1920.jpg

I'll have more details later, probably in a mini-chapter, but here's a quick rundown:

1. The ES9028 DAC module replaces the AK4490 DAC module in Asgard, Jotunheim, and Lyr.
2. It is our first module that also includes our own Unison USB™ input.
3. It's also our first module with a USB-C input connector (so if you're getting one, plan your cables accordingly).
4. The ES9028 is used in current-out mode with differential I/V conversion via the LME49724, for true balanced input to the Jotunheim, plus switchable summing to for undiminished performance when used in single-ended products.

Things have been crazy, hence the delay on the chapter, but I'll also get some measurements up today or tomorrow as well. There isn't anything unexpected here, it's a typically good-measuring ESS product, better than the outgoing AK4490.

And, oh yeah, if you ordered a product with the AK4490 DAC module and it hasn't shipped yet, you'll be getting an AK4490 DAC module, unless I'm misinformed. We'll contact you if that's not the case. Contact us if you want to switch it to the ES9028.

That's it for now, I need to get into the office.

All the best,
Jason

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Aug 23, 2021 at 10:41 AM Post #80,753 of 149,161
Hey all,

I'm speaking of our ES9028 DAC Module—a card for use in all of our modular products (Asgard, Jotunheim, and Lyr). It's our first ESS product. Others (Fulla e and Hel 2e) will soon follow. The redesign to ESS D/A converters after the AKM factory fire is one of the biggest reasons we've been slammed. Have 5 unexpected projects dumped in your lap, during a busy design year, and see how it goes for you!

I'll have more details later, probably in a mini-chapter, but here's a quick rundown:

1. The ES9028 DAC module replaces the AK4490 DAC module in Asgard, Jotunheim, and Lyr.
3. It's also our first module with a USB-C input connector (so if you're getting one, plan your cables accordingly).
4. The ES9028 is used in current-out mode with differential I/V conversion via the LME49724, for true balanced input to the Jotunheim, plus switchable summing to for undiminished performance when used in single-ended products.

Things have been crazy, hence the delay on the chapter, but I'll also get some measurements up today or tomorrow as well. There isn't anything unexpected here, it's a typically good-measuring ESS product, better than the outgoing AK4490.

And, oh yeah, if you ordered a product with the AK4490 DAC module and it hasn't shipped yet, you'll be getting an AK4490 DAC module, unless I'm misinformed. We'll contact you if that's not the case. Contact us if you want to switch it to the ES9028.

All the best,
Jason
A very quick question. Is the output voltage of this ESS module full 2V in SE and 4V in balanced out mode?

Aug 23, 2021 at 11:06 AM Post #80,756 of 149,161
@Jason Stoddard, I am happy you guys got that finished. I bet everyone at Schiit breathed a sigh of relief.

I'm behind in my knowledge of connectors on the back of Schiit gear. When my turn in the Gungnir Unison line comes up, will my new Unison board have a USB-C port?

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2021 at 11:14 AM Post #80,757 of 149,161
How unimaginative. DIY is the best route to craft 'shine. At least that's what I've heard. :laughing:
This is a situation where I am happy to let them do what they do so I can do what I do. Besides, my missus is aggrivated I have three stereos in the house (home theater plus two head phone rigs). I don't want to try her patience any further by setting up a still.

Aug 23, 2021 at 11:16 AM Post #80,758 of 149,161
Hey all,

All the best,
Jason

Will this addon card also work for Jotunheim 1?

Thank you!

Aug 23, 2021 at 11:30 AM Post #80,759 of 149,161
Aug 23, 2021 at 11:38 AM Post #80,760 of 149,161
re: finishes, minor defects in surfaces, paint, etc.> Isn't "patina" effect hot right now? If so, then a strategically scratched and buffed Schiit stack should be perfectly in vogue, no need to powder coat over defects.

Premire-Patina-Leader.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back