Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 1, 2021 at 10:09 PM Post #80,161 of 148,515
The Glenlivet 12 (double oak) > Balvenie 12 > The Glenfiddich 12
Aberlour 16 can't be put into that list because it's a completely different scotch so I keep a bottle for its own sake.

(oh, and that's not "sah-kee", I haven't learned how to enjoy that particular spirit yet)
I am keeping the wallet happy with Four Roses Yellow Label myself at the moment - seems to work smoothly.
enjoy your new speakers & schiit.

closer to the wall placement increases bass resonant peaks caused from boundary reflections. as the drivers' suspension compliance increases with break-in (10-50 hours???), the bass from the speakers will increase vs factory-new, so the final position may need to be moved back a bit (a few feet???) from the walls. YMMV.
I know I have them shackled - room is a square footprint, and almost a cube (ceiling is not quite high enough) but will pay attention if there is a break in sound.

So far haven't found something they can't play as well/better (I have a tin ear so hedging, I have not found something as good only better BUT YMMV) than the Klipsch I had so far - whether vocals (tried the single Sinatra album), metal (Sabaton), rock (AC/DC), opera (Der Ring), organ, Southern (Charlie Daniels), etc. I don't touch EDM/electronica/hip hop/rap/modern pop in the last 20 years/related so won't try to speak to them.

Aug 2, 2021 at 12:30 AM Post #80,162 of 148,515
Here's one of mine. At least he doesn't bring them in alive and let them go anymore.
2620.jpeg

Aug 2, 2021 at 1:51 AM Post #80,164 of 148,515
Here's one of mine. At least he doesn't bring them in alive and let them go anymore.
2620.jpeg
Mine loves to bring in live birds and mice and play with them in front of me... so sad, but he is so proud of himself.

Aug 2, 2021 at 2:47 AM Post #80,165 of 148,515
I am keeping the wallet happy with Four Roses Yellow Label myself at the moment - seems to work smoothly.
Depending on what retailers are near you (for the life of me I cannot recall if AL is an ABC State), both 1792 and Yellowstone beat the heck out of the 4R Yellow (and I love the 4R Yellow as well) for the same or less coin. Let your wallet (and palate) be happy! Or just give them a go for the heck of it!

Edit: Apologies, just found the AL ABC price list. 1792 is a fiver more than the 4 roses, and no Yellowstone. Sorry…

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2021 at 8:35 AM Post #80,166 of 148,515
right, just like you only intended to have ONE headphone amp and ONE set of cans... :ksc75smile:
I am reminded of the Mark Twain quote.....

I never smoke to excess - that is, I smoke in moderation, only one cigar at a time.

Aug 2, 2021 at 9:25 AM Post #80,167 of 148,515
6. We've had the heaviest demand and biggest backorders ever this year, and, as with #4 and #5, we didn't just sit around and wail--we put in a backorders triage person/distributor communication person, who identified what we could address, and we all worked together to address it. We reorganized to dramatically increase output and quality of our amplifier line--we were in stock for the first time since inception for about a month, but due to high demand, we're back out of stock again. This reorganization will also positively impact Gungnir and Yggdrasil when they are available again. And, finally, we started shipping more than Magni and Modi to distributors, thanks to all of this effort, this month.

What does this mean? Finally a Gungnir 2? Or at least one in black finish? A new Yiggy 2? Or Analog 3? I am not buying a new Schiit DAC until I get a tease of what is on the horizon. Then again, maybe more demand is not what you need right now...

Aug 2, 2021 at 9:58 AM Post #80,168 of 148,515
What does this mean? Finally a Gungnir 2? Or at least one in black finish? A new Yiggy 2? Or Analog 3? I am not buying a new Schiit DAC until I get a tease of what is on the horizon. Then again, maybe more demand is not what you need right now...

It means it ships when it ships. I came to the conclusion that availability is a major feature of any product. Schiit Europe has basically nothing on stock, yeah not even all swag they sell; only the coaster.

Aug 2, 2021 at 10:27 AM Post #80,169 of 148,515

Some other tasty options at or below that price level include Evan Williams White Label (Bottled in Bond), Evan Williams Black Label, Rebel Yell 100, and Ancient Age.

All have different flavor profiles from each other, and are quite tasty. Proof varies from 80 to 100.

If you have a Costco close by the Kirkland Distillers Select Small Batch Bourbon (mouthful of a name), is quite nice for a 20 dollar, 92 proof litre.

Aug 2, 2021 at 12:50 PM Post #80,170 of 148,515
Happy waiting for...... Yeah for what?
Yggdrasil and Gungnir are stunning DAC products as they are, version 1, A, B whatever. But maybe there is a new model in 2025 who knows. So again, happy waiting.
Isn't it better to enjoy what is, instead of dreaming of things that may or may not come in the next years.
I'm waiting for the first private flying car that is authorised on the public road and air, until that time I will not buy a new car, I'm waiting.

Aug 2, 2021 at 1:06 PM Post #80,171 of 148,515
Here's my other one. He doesn't really like getting his photo taken and at 17 pounds I don't really argue with him at all!!!
rocket perturbed_small.jpg

I had a Russian Blue! Name was Neville until he got hit by a car, after that it was Tripod. We shared a domicile for 18 years, and I still miss him...

Aug 2, 2021 at 1:07 PM Post #80,172 of 148,515
It means that Schiit reserves the right to continually develop and innovate, if that means your uncomfortable pressing the Buy button, so be it .... I personally ordered a Yggy GS, knowing that at least they had the analog and usb boards on hand. I'm currently enjoying it very much, knowing that if I choose to upgrade in the future, I'll be able to.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2021 at 5:10 PM Post #80,175 of 148,515
Lyr 3 was by far the best headphone amp I owned until I was sucked into handmade amps in the $2-3K range that aren't made any longer anyway. It drives both dynamic and planar headphones with authority. It's the best amp I've heard with Dan Clark Audio's Æon 2, and it does justice to much pricier ZMF Verité headphones.
Hello Schiitheads, first post here. My name is Zach.

I ordered a Lyr 3 on the 18th and am trying to be patient. I made this purchase due in part to these forums, and others....but mostly because of @Currawong and the Passion For Sound interview.

Initially I'll pair it with my Focal Elegias - I needed a good pair of closed backs since I WFH right next to my lady friend all day. When it's safe to attend things like CanJam again though, I need to put a pair of Meze Empyreans on my ears.

Thanks for entertaining and educating lurking me for a while now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back