Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 28, 2021 at 10:42 PM Post #80,073 of 148,518
I got my first speeding ticket in a TR6 I was test driving. Typical British Leyland of the time -- none of the gauges worked, including the speedometer. "But Officer, how was I supposed to know I was doing 83 in a 35 mph zone?" Surprisingly, I got no sympathy from him or the judge when I went to court. :laughing:
My wife's ballet teacher owned a TR4 IRS model. Oddly enough, she worked for the IRS. But yes, it really stood for independent rear suspension...I think. :ksc75smile:
Jul 28, 2021 at 10:44 PM Post #80,074 of 148,518
Surprisingly, I got no sympathy from him or the judge when I went to court. :laughing:
You should have opted for "Your honor, I was trying to pickup NOS GE tubes before @Ripper2860 could snatch them from under my nose!" :wink:

Jul 28, 2021 at 11:59 PM Post #80,077 of 148,518
Yes. A sad day for rock-blues lovers.

Jul 29, 2021 at 8:22 AM Post #80,079 of 148,518
Tenderizing Texas BBQ?
No, we're more patient than that: slow heat rather than rapid beatings (and chemical meat tenderizer is cheating, wait, no, not cheating: it's fraud-- worse than cheating). These days we can simply leave dinner outside on the porch, it'll be ready by the time we get home from work.

Continuing along the Sine Wave: all out of Aberlour. I see a detour on my way home today.

A little further along the Sine Wave: the Lokius sure looks cool. I wonder if I could buy one without the circuit board? I don't really need EQ, but I'd enjoy looking at the knobs and listening to my friends describe the differences they hear as we fiddle with them.

Jul 29, 2021 at 8:39 AM Post #80,080 of 148,518
... and listening to my friends describe the differences they hear as we fiddle with them.
A few days back some were posting Placebo Effect stories:

One summer in high school I worked for an HVAC shop my dad did a lot of business with. They had been having trouble with one of their clients making nuisance calls claiming their AC wasn't doing it's job. After several frustrating visits the various service techs figured out one set of employees was turning the thermostat down to cool their offices, but then another set of employees would turn it back up because they got cold.

The solution was to install several thermostats throughout the work areas which were not connected to the HVAC system. There was one, working, thermostat near one of the return air gratings in a corner somewhere in the office. The employees were happy adjusting the "dummy" thermostats and the nuisance service calls came to an end.

Jul 29, 2021 at 8:56 AM Post #80,081 of 148,518
There are stories at my airline of pilots installing dummy thermostats near the flight attendant jumpseats to keep them from constantly calling the cockpit to adjust the temp. Some of the newer planes (not the 737, unfortunately) actually let the FAs have control of the temp which is how it should be.

Jul 29, 2021 at 9:06 AM Post #80,082 of 148,518
Color me surprised. To me the difference between those tracks was way more evident than the difference between pieces of equipment (except transducers.)

To me the difference was definitely audible, although not night-and-day. And the Atmos render was more enjoyable with the old mix being less dynamic and in some cases even distorted.
This suggests to me not the greatness of Atmos (but it definitely is good at what it does) but that they compressed the living s**t out of the original mix borderline destroying it, and that it is indeed possible to have a stereo mix that sounds good (Atmos or not). And that - hopefully - they loudness wars may soon come to an end... maybe. :)

Jul 29, 2021 at 10:03 AM Post #80,083 of 148,518
Color me surprised. To me the difference between those tracks was way more evident than the difference between pieces of equipment (except transducers.)
Could it be due to I was listening on a tiny speakered tablet? Nah...LOL! I am just not able to discern more than loudness. I think.

Years, decades really, ago I bought a few Dolby encoded CDs and they were unimpressive to me as were a great many film's soundtracks back then. To this day if I am not listening to a traditional stereo (2 channel or at the most 2.1) then my next choice would be 'multi-channel" stereo. A lot of what is offered up as an improvement in music reproduction sounds like it is "louder" to me. MQA does not sound like anything but a rip-off. Emperor's New Closthes, indeed.

I am also skeptical as when attending any live venue (admittedly a rare occasion for me!) I know what I am hearing is NOT "stereo" or "surround". It is quite simply "live". Some times I prefer an album version over "live". Weird, I know but what can one expect from a bi-pedal amphibian? :ksc75smile: I do not much care for "loud" when it is, to my ears, "too loud" but have been known to crank up Grand Funk Railroad's "Sins a Good Man's Brother" in my car when alone but it never gets above 5 let alone to 11.

Jul 29, 2021 at 10:14 AM Post #80,084 of 148,518
the old mix being less dynamic
I am utterly surprised this word is used over and over again and nobody is complaining.

So a bit of DSP and use of an expander or other trick is now better dynamic range and sounds "better"?
The world has become a place where we are not trying to solve a problem, but sell the problematic stuff as much as we can and add an extra (more expensive) product that is sold to us at the product that solves the problem. It has to be more expensive or it cannot solve the problem, right?
There is no drive to solve the initial problem because that would kill off way too much sales revenue, although technically spoken it is quite easy to do.
And we, the commercial slaves, just follow and even post video's praising the new "solution". What have we become?

Jul 29, 2021 at 10:27 AM Post #80,085 of 148,518
33na3rd said:
We've been fortunate enough to see Richard Thompson a couple of times ourselves, down at the Aladdin Theater in Portland, Oregon. Great performer!

My first sporty car was a red 1967 MGB. My current sporty car is a lightly modified 1990 MX-5 Miata, with just under 30,000 miles on the odometer. Yes, I am the original owner, and yes, I need to drive it more!

I also have a 1990 MX-5 Miata... fun simple car

Me too on the 1993 Miata Mx5

Photo of new autocross shoes
245/40R-15 BFGoodrich g-Force Rival S 1.5 3-Rib Tread Design
Pic was taken in January 2020 and getting ready for the autocross season that never happened

MVIMG_20190420_131947.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back