Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 28, 2021 at 4:17 PM Post #80,056 of 148,593
I understand in a lot of cases wanting to affect all inputs equally, but I think this is really based on what you are trying to achieve with the EQ. I don't really understand the second part, however. EQ can compensate for downstream impacts just as well as it can upstream impacts.

For a lot of people who might only have one source, putting it before the preamp allows the preamp to reduce the volume of any added noise of upstream devices.

I don't think that such a general recommendation can be made.
To each his own. EQ post volume control is a standard setup.

Jul 28, 2021 at 4:20 PM Post #80,057 of 148,593
Oooooh. Sounding like Lokius could be used between a with a single-ended preamp (like Saga) going in to Lokius and XLR out of Lokius connected mono amps like Vidars or Aegirs. So one would not need a Freya+ or JOT2 to drive mono Schiit amps? Am I dreaming?? Somebody pinch me!! :D
How would you control the volume on the amps?

Jul 28, 2021 at 4:55 PM Post #80,059 of 148,593
Jul 28, 2021 at 5:20 PM Post #80,062 of 148,593
How would you control the volume on the amps?
I would still have a pre (Lyr 3 or Saga) and just use the volume control but leave the EQ engaged.

Lyr 3/Saga --SE--> Lokius ==BAL==> Ageir/Vidar mono mode. (Am I missing something??)

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2021 at 5:26 PM Post #80,063 of 148,593
Ian Shepherd hitting the nail on the head on Dolby Atmos streaming and what it means for loudness and dynamic range:

The comparison examples given speak louder than any compression applied during the mastering phase.

I have to admit I have no idea what he was talking about. I could not hear a difference but I can with my 9.2 Atmos set up for movies that are encoded with Atmos. Of course I have rather pedestrian hearing, albeit more than adequate per doctors and quite good for my age and other considerations. :beerchug:

Some times it seems like we enthusiasts are seeking the Holy Grail and encounter the Wholly Fail.

Jul 28, 2021 at 5:52 PM Post #80,065 of 148,593
Has anyone heard a report of Lokius-hum in the wild? From this thread, plus my own experience (Lokius directly under both Lyr 3 and Valhalla 2), it seems that may be simply a potential issue for using it alongside non-Schiit gear?
I didn't stack up mine, but there's noticeable hiss at full volume when equalization is active and it's dead silent in bypass mode. I never turn the volume knob that far though.

Jul 28, 2021 at 6:36 PM Post #80,066 of 148,593
Or you could just make a new stereo mix with more headroom.
You are correct, and I think Ian actually mentioned that in the video at one point.
The way it is presented, to me it feels like they are trying to do the next MQA like trick?
I don't think so, because it is clearly known what the renderer is doing. No smoke and mirrors, AFAIK.

Jul 28, 2021 at 9:30 PM Post #80,067 of 148,593
Back in the early 80's I helped a Navy shipmate convert a Triumph TR6 using a Buick aluminum 215-V8 (which became the Rover V8) and Muncie 4-speed. Great little street drag car but don't try to turn - or stop in any reasonable distance. :) An MGBGT could eat his lunch because it COULD turn.
I got my first speeding ticket in a TR6 I was test driving. Typical British Leyland of the time -- none of the gauges worked, including the speedometer. "But Officer, how was I supposed to know I was doing 83 in a 35 mph zone?" Surprisingly, I got no sympathy from him or the judge when I went to court. :laughing:

Jul 28, 2021 at 9:33 PM Post #80,068 of 148,593
I would still have a pre (Lyr 3 or Saga) and just use the volume control but leave the EQ engaged.

Lyr 3/Saga --SE--> Lokius ==BAL==> Ageir/Vidar mono mode. (Am I missing something??)

A slab of Texas BBQ!

Jul 28, 2021 at 9:36 PM Post #80,069 of 148,593
Since this conversation has fallen off the cliff into classic British Sports Cars, I am wondering where in the Sine Wave we are?

Jul 28, 2021 at 9:40 PM Post #80,070 of 148,593
Since this conversation has fallen off the cliff into classic British Sports Cars, I am wondering where in the Sine Wave we are?
Good point indeed. Perhaps I need to update it :thinking:
It could fall under the "New Sine Wave Topics" and of course, there are still always interspersed comments on BBQ, so there is that :smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back