Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 26, 2021 at 10:38 PM Post #79,981 of 145,675
We just got back from Santa Fe. Very nice, liked it a lot. Technically, not an arid place as it's built on a swamp (literally).
I liked Sante Fe better than Taos... I'd like to return to Santa Fe.

Jul 26, 2021 at 10:42 PM Post #79,982 of 145,675
I enjoyed them both but leaned more towards favoring Taos. Of course that was 30 years ago, so things have probably changed a bit since then. :smile:

I don't get around much. :unamused:

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2021 at 11:13 PM Post #79,983 of 145,675
Ohms - interesting! Let us know how they sound.

Me too. I'm really curious so I sure hope he does not offer any resistance or encounter anything that might be an impedance to reporting his experience with the Ohms. :smirk:
So far so great, haven't been able to run the spectrum yet, and I know I need to play with placement. But (and it might be the new factor) I believe they sound better than the tiny Klipsch I was using before.

Jul 26, 2021 at 11:56 PM Post #79,984 of 145,675
Not a FLAC or a WAV, how do you dare to suggest that. No it is in real MP3.
Maybe so that you don't realize that a good all-digital system would make you give up absurdly pricey vinyl?:ksc75smile:

Jul 27, 2021 at 12:12 AM Post #79,985 of 145,675
Yes, but now you need to try a Lyr 3 instead. Get some tubage to really smooth those phones out.
Lyr 3 was by far the best headphone amp I owned until I was sucked into handmade amps in the $2-3K range that aren't made any longer anyway. It drives both dynamic and planar headphones with authority. It's the best amp I've heard with Dan Clark Audio's Æon 2, and it does justice to much pricier ZMF Verité headphones.

Jul 27, 2021 at 4:50 AM Post #79,986 of 145,675
We've had neighbors pause when looking at our two car garage when they see we actually park two cars in there. Mind blowing for some of them.

I'm surprised almost daily when I see more than $100K worth of vehicles sitting in the sun/rain/hail while the garage is sheltering (I'm guessing here) about $2K worth of 'stuff'.
My garage shelters a 20 year old ride-on lawnmower, worth at most £500, while our cars sit on the drive.
They certainly aren’t worth anything like $100k though.
I’ll have to make room in the garage next year, as I hope to take delivery of a ‘new’ MGB GT V8 which is being built.
That definitely won’t sit on the drive, especially in winter!

Jul 27, 2021 at 6:09 AM Post #79,987 of 145,675
Wooo! Got an empty shelf all set for the Yggdrasil (Ohms arrived today!)
And the before speaker:
Thanks for sharing these pictures @filthy mechanical
It looks a really nice system and I am sure you'll love the Yggdrasil
I love the picture of the 'before' speaker :beyersmile:
I had never heard of Ohm loudspeakers before, so like other posters on the thread, I will also be interested in your experience with them.
I have recently set up a simple 'secondary system' , as my main one is all in boxes.
I bought a pair of ELAC Navis ARB 51 'active' speakers.
https://www.elac.com/powered-speakers/navis-arb-51/

I am a big fan of active speakers, as I normally have a large pair of ATC SCM 100ASLs in my main system, so thought I would try these small active ELACs.
The digital source is a really old ( spare) Logitech Transporter, which acts as streamer, DAC and preamp. It drives the ELACs via XLR balanced outputs.
For a minimalist 'one-box' solution the system sounds fantastic; really natural midrange, no harshness at all at the top end and incredible bass for such small drivers.
My wife thinks that I no longer need the big ATCs, Yggy A2, Freya S, Lokius etc....
I had to diplomatically explain that she is wrong there; I still 'need' my main, Schiit-based system, as I love it!:relaxed:

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2021 at 8:29 AM Post #79,991 of 145,675
My garage shelters a 20 year old ride-on lawnmower, worth at most £500, while our cars sit on the drive.
They certainly aren’t worth anything like $100k though.
I’ll have to make room in the garage next year, as I hope to take delivery of a ‘new’ MGB GT V8 which is being built.
That definitely won’t sit on the drive, especially in winter!
You know I wasn't referring to you. :) I would expect someone who just moved house and is waiting on some remodeling to store their stuff in the garage temporarily.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2021 at 8:50 AM Post #79,992 of 145,675
We just got back from Santa Fe. Very nice, liked it a lot. Technically, not an arid place as it's built on a swamp (literally).

Brother I live south of the City Different, and while our monsoon this year has been prodigious, this place is a straight-up desert. The city grew around the Santa Fe River which flows to the Rio Grande. Last week I was reading a local article about water management (from monsoon rains) and it included a geographical description of the area, no mention of swamps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back