Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 16, 2021 at 9:35 PM Post #79,561 of 149,241
Ditto. A report on over BF2 vs under BF2 would be most appreciated.

Jul 16, 2021 at 10:35 PM Post #79,562 of 149,241
Initial impressions are very positive.

The build is great. Good amount of heft to the weight and the materials match the quality of my A3 and BF2 (although, I swear the black color is just a micro shade difference - probably just my eyes). There's also a satisfying orange LED inside that lights up when the unit is powered on (we'll see if my opinion on that changes at night time). However, it does appear that the font of the "Lokius" on the front is a bit more bold than my amp and DAC.

In regards to sound, I feel like the response to knob adjustments are even more "surgical" like even when compared to the Loki Mini +. I'm not at all knowledgeable in the science of how it all works, but I'm just assuming it's because of the jump from 4 to 6 bands that I'm not noticing an immediate change in tone when slightly adjusting the knobs. I feel like I'm able to reduce the slight graininess in the treble on my Empyreans (that I never noticed before) without impacting other areas.

Overall, it's a great purchase so far. Is it worth double the price over the Mini +? I would say so, assuming you want complete fine tuning control as well as a greater potential for connectivity (SE or balanced). And the vent port design is pretty cool.
Thanks for sharing! The dedicated 6kHz band is reason enough for me to choose the Lokius over the Loki Mini+. And I also love the vent design - way cool.

Jul 16, 2021 at 11:14 PM Post #79,564 of 149,241
Any opinions on the best spot for a Lokius? Before or after the preamp?

I have a Freya+.

Lokius after preamp:
if using multiple sources that you want EQ'd,
or, if using Lokius to convert from SE (e.g using Saga pre) to Balanced (in non-bypass aka Process mode) to drive dual mono Aegir / Vidar XLR inputs;
or, if using a very low-level source and preamp is normally run in high gain and volume control nearly maxxed out.

Lokius before preamp:
only 1 source needing EQ

(for me, the 120Hz band is helpful for some older CD's from the early days of digital when the pre-emphasis/de-emphasis bit flag of the S/PDIF stream wasn't always correctly set)

and now the 2-4 week wait begins...

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2021 at 11:32 PM Post #79,565 of 149,241
Lokius after preamp:
or, if using Lokius to convert from SE (e.g using Saga pre) to Balanced (in non-bypass aka Process mode) to drive dual mono Aegir / Vidar XLR inputs;
or, if using a very low-level source and preamp is normally run in high gain and volume control nearly maxxed out.

Lokius before preamp:
only 1 source needing EQ
Lol are you sure?

Jul 16, 2021 at 11:46 PM Post #79,566 of 149,241
Do what I do: Amazon Smart Plug and ask Alexa verbally to turn off your amp.

"Alexa, turn off Ragnarok"
"Did you mean, kitchen?"
"Alexa turn off Ragnarok"
"I'm sorry, did you mean, kitchen?"
Better yet. Grab one of the new Kasa surge/power strips. Each outlet individually controllable... Comes in 3 or 6…

Jul 16, 2021 at 11:49 PM Post #79,567 of 149,241
Well, if that's the case it sounds like I can run balanced out of Yggdrasil to balanced in on my JOT R or RAAL HSA-1b as well as SE out of Yggdrasil to SE in on both. So now I can make use of Lokius EQ from a balanced signal as well as an SE signal. Lotsa' options now.

I am unsure though, will wait for Jason to confirm

Jul 17, 2021 at 12:08 AM Post #79,568 of 149,241
C8411FBB-AFD1-4316-9F55-B5DC3B57156D.jpeg

Just came in. Please excuse the wires!

158A9C34-2FD9-4579-BEBF-4D911E22DF16.jpeg
The photos with the wiring showing adds a stamp of authenticity to your enthusiasm and the joy (and pride) of owner ship not to mention the expectation of time well spent listening to your music via such excellent and to my eyes, attractive equipment! I am happy for you as purchasing new equipment is not always an easy thing to do mentally, financially and perhaps even emotionally. Few things trigger such a myriad of emotions as does music, ergo it makes sense that new gear just makes you want to listen all the more. I am rambling...Congratulations on your purchase!

Jul 17, 2021 at 12:40 AM Post #79,569 of 149,241
Lokius after preamp:

Lokius before preamp:
only 1 source needing EQ

(for me, the 120Hz band is helpful for some older CD's from the early days of digital when the pre-emphasis/de-emphasis bit flag of the S/PDIF stream wasn't always correctly set)

and now the 2-4 week wait begins...
So, none of those 3 conditions apply to my set-up, so is "Before" the DAC preferable or does it not matter.

Jul 17, 2021 at 3:13 AM Post #79,571 of 149,241
So, none of those 3 conditions apply to my set-up, so is "Before" the DAC preferable or does it not matter.

Presumably your setup would go something like this:
multiple digital sources (e.g. network streamer / CD / gaming console with digital optical out) -> DAC, DAC analog out -> Lokius -> Freya, etc..

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2021 at 3:17 AM Post #79,572 of 149,241
For the mid-size HP amplifiers with steel bottom chassis (like Asgard 3 does), it might work better to have the Lokius placed underneath the amp.

With the A3 powered up, If you hold a small magnet (e.g. Oxo mini clip with rare earth magnet) in proximity to the aluminum top cover (but not touching it) you can feel the magnet vibrate as it interacts with the transformer's stray magnetic field.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2021 at 6:35 AM Post #79,573 of 149,241
So, I currently have (for use in my office at work) a basic Grace Design balanced DAC feeding a Topping A90, which serves both as a headphone amp, and as a pre-amp for a couple of powered Studio monitors I use in the office for near-field listening. I am betting the best position for a Lokius would be between the DAC and the A90, if I want the Lokius EQ'ing the sound for both headphones and the powered Studio monitors. Is this a correct assumption?

Just checking and confirming that I shall have the setup configured properly before the arrival of the Lokius (in 2-4 weeks time, if am lucky, I guess)

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2021 at 6:49 AM Post #79,575 of 149,241
I’ll find out next week anyway, but can I feed Lokius XLR only and get signal out of both XLR and RCA outputs, or do I need RCA input also?

Source is going to be Bifrost 2, but I would like the Lokius to have XLR output to Jotunheim 2 and RCA out to Marantz PM6007.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back