Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 14, 2021 at 10:29 PM Post #79,428 of 148,575
Makes me want a Freya S even more
As mentioned before, I managed to find a used Freya S recently. It receives two different DACs (one an Yggdrasil), and it feeds a Goldpoint switch to one of two headphone amps. I finally have a way to switch easily between my favorite DACs and amps, and adjust level to deal with the different output voltage ranges of the two DACs. The "negative" in this is that by making it really easy to compare the two DACs, I concluded that the Yggdrasil dominates the other (NOS) DAC in most situations. Another used NOS DAC going on the market, I guess, but I still have a soft spot for NOS so it's likely that some other NOS DAC will take its place.

Jul 14, 2021 at 11:47 PM Post #79,429 of 148,575
Hmmmm...So far nothing new has piqued my pocket as much as the Modius and Magnius. :deadhorse: So I shall continue to save for them. Which comes first depends upon my Valhalla 2.

That and the waiting time for a Magnius is a bit much for a restless toad such as my self. :ksc75smile:

It is time to rest. Sleep is death with out the responsibility so it's time to croak for a bit.

Jul 15, 2021 at 12:53 AM Post #79,430 of 148,575
Music is a waste of time. If you have the money to buy records, playing them is a fun way to listen to music.

I would disagree that music is a waste of time. Work, is often a waste of time. Less wasteful when music is employed as an accompaniment.

Currently burning the midnight oil (yet again), and Frank Sinatra is making it much more palatable. (September of My Years)

Jul 15, 2021 at 1:22 AM Post #79,432 of 148,575
snip
That and the waiting time for a Magnius is a bit much for a restless toad such as my self. :ksc75smile:

It is time to rest. Sleep is death with out the responsibility so it's time to croak for a bit.

Sleep can also be a WHOLE lot more fun, I especially like the flying dreams and the ones where I get to go on adventures…

Just say'n is all.

JJ

Jul 15, 2021 at 3:04 AM Post #79,433 of 148,575
So this is what I missed reading @Jason Stoddard 's announcement: Given that the Lokius has an internal Single-ended (as opposed to balanced) circuitry, how exactly. does it impact the sound when positioned/connected between a fully balanced DAC (say, an Yggy) and a fully balanced Headphone amp (say, a Niimbus US4[+]), and the connections are made both ways with analog XLR cables? Will the Lokius degrade the balanced signals it is receiving from the balanced Dac (the Yggy) in some way before feeding them to the balanced Amp (the Niimbus) if all the equalizing tweaks on the Lokius are left inactive and in a "neutral" position?

If the Lokius can transmit the received signals without compromising them in any way under these conditions, then I shall buy in, but I am not sure how to evaluate this situation because of my lack of the required expertise. I just want to be sure, however, that if the Lokius is applying tweaks to the sounds it is transmitting between DAC and amp in this particular configuration, then it is tweaking and transmitting the full "bandwidth" of the signals it originally received from the DAC, in all their integrity, without having compromised them first simply by virtue of its internal SE circuitry. Do I have any such "compromising" to worry about?

That is the best I can do in formulating this question as a layman without any command of the technical jargon that experts would normally use in such situations. I do hope the question still makes sense just the same. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

All helpful forms of input are welcome. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2021 at 3:25 AM Post #79,434 of 148,575
You are either a fast decisive shopper or a terribly slow reader. I'm going to go with the former. 😄

I was already Loki-curious and Lokius is perfectly sized, reasonably priced, has balanced connectors and came out in silver, so I didn’t get too far into the chapter before I threw money at my screen.

Jul 15, 2021 at 4:13 AM Post #79,435 of 148,575
So this is what I missed reading @Jason Stoddard 's announcement: Given that the Lokius has an internal Single-ended (as opposed to balanced) circuitry, how exactly. does it impact the sound when positioned/connected between a fully balanced DAC (say, an Yggy) and a fully balanced Headphone amp (say, a Niimbus US4[+]), and the connections are made both ways with analog XLR cables? Will the Lokius degrade the balanced signals it is receiving from the balanced Dac (the Yggy) in some way before feeding them to the balanced Amp (the Niimbus) if all the equalizing tweaks on the Lokius are left inactive and in a "neutral" position?

If the Lokius can transmit the received signals without compromising them in any way under these conditions, then I shall buy in, but I am not sure how to evaluate this situation because of my lack of the required expertise. I just want to be sure, however, that if the Lokius is applying tweaks to the sounds it is transmitting between DAC and amp in this particular configuration, then it is tweaking and transmitting the full "bandwidth" of the signals it originally received from the DAC, in all their integrity, without having compromised them first simply by virtue of its internal SE circuitry. Do I have any such "compromising" to worry about?

That is the best I can do in formulating this question as a layman without any command of the technical jargon that experts would normally use in such situations. I do hope the question still makes sense just the same. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

All helpful forms of input are welcome. Thanks in advance.
I wouldn’t put any device in the chain unless it’s a must. With high class DAC and amp in place I wouldn’t put Lokius in between unless I need it and is a must. Shortest path for signal is the best path. No matter how high end the device is it does have an affect on SQ.

Jul 15, 2021 at 5:25 AM Post #79,436 of 148,575
I sent an email on Thursday and after 4 business days there is no answer from Schiit. Do they answer emails at all?

I think they're swamped. I had to wait 3-4 days for an answer too.

Jul 15, 2021 at 6:21 AM Post #79,437 of 148,575

Attachments

• PNG-bilde.png
    PNG-bilde.png
    32.7 KB · Views: 0
Jul 15, 2021 at 7:15 AM Post #79,438 of 148,575
I wouldn’t put any device in the chain unless it’s a must. With high class DAC and amp in place I wouldn’t put Lokius in between unless I need it and is a must. Shortest path for signal is the best path. No matter how high end the device is it does have an affect on SQ.
I agree @kumar402
I don't even use my Freya S at the moment- it will only be put in the signal chain when I finally use a CD Transport or turntable, and need a volume control.
I still want a Lokius though... or Loki Max. :beyersmile:
I don't really understand what Loki Max has that Lokius doesn't.
Can anyone explain?
I believe Loki Max will be a genuine balanced design and also have a remote.
The Lokius may be a better value proposition though.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2021 at 8:06 AM Post #79,440 of 148,575
Hi @Jason Stoddard - is this post on Reddit coming from a legitimate Schiit employee?

https://www.reddit.com/r/Schiit/comments/okbafa/fulla_4_and_hel_2_the_final_update/

If this information is correct, are you guys intending to put this information on your website rather than just on Reddit? I am just asking because anyone can pretend to be an employee and post random things on different forums. As a long time customer, I would prefer this kind of information to be posted on your website and then referenced on various platforms.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back