Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 12, 2021 at 9:57 AM Post #79,323 of 149,154
Recent shows I really like are:
Bosch on Amazon
Atypical on Netflix (my wife talked me into this one and it is very well done.)
The Patriot on Amazon
Ted Lasso on Apple TV
Narcos on Netflix
Peaky Blinders Netflix
Queens Gambit Netflix....More of a mini-series but the best thing I have watched in years, IMHO
Alone....several sources
Vikings " "
Bosch on Amazon! I just finished reading all the books ... can see where the stories would make for good TV viewing. Also learnt a lot about the real Hieronymus Bosch along the way.

Jul 12, 2021 at 10:05 AM Post #79,324 of 149,154
Well said as always. Here is my favorite coaxial cable for interconnects. It is no longer available due to its cost I suspect. Silver plated French braid shield and high strand count silver center conductor.

I use similar braid for a shield on AC cords.
Wow. There's a ton to admire (and learn from) in that photo.

Jul 12, 2021 at 10:58 AM Post #79,325 of 149,154
Wow. There's a ton to admire (and learn from) in that photo.
Thanks, I used solid cherry for shelves and patinated copper pipe. I made extra pipes so I can change the self height if I ever need to. I use a system of nylon ties connected together to separate cables, if I need to change something I can cut a tie and move things around as I need to. To keep static down I use a cotton based mesh, especially on headphone cables.

Jul 12, 2021 at 11:16 AM Post #79,327 of 149,154
Recent shows I really like are:
Bosch on Amazon
Atypical on Netflix (my wife talked me into this one and it is very well done.)
The Patriot on Amazon
Ted Lasso on Apple TV
Narcos on Netflix
Peaky Blinders Netflix
Queens Gambit Netflix....More of a mini-series but the best thing I have watched in years, IMHO
Alone....several sources
Vikings " "
I love the Bosch series. Ted Lasso was a surprisingly impressive show - season two next week I believe. I never could get with Peaky Blindes - except for that fabulous theme tune!

As my hi fi systems are now all perfect (ha!) I have been "upgrading" the home theater to Atmos after construction and rearrangement fo the room we use. We inherited connection points that were across a rectangular room, we have migrate dot "along". The construction involved hardwood flooring installation and the room is now boomy, so I have to learn how to do that. I also have ditched almost everything except the latest AppleTV (still have the Oppo). Despite being a largely Apple household, I had resisted AppleTV. I got it 'cos Netflix via Apple has Atmos. Just wow. The setup is by walking up to the powered up Apple TV with an iPhone. Confirmation if identity and off it goes and does all the setup. Compare and Contrast with Nvidia Shield (which I loved for its performance when we bought it). Color setup of TV? Click an option, hold iPhone camera within an inch of the screen - done! I'm (very) familiar with profiling computer displays and this is well with the 'good enough' envelope.

Still working on the sound setup on my Onkyo receiver, but I am VERY impressed with the 5.1.2 setup I have so far. There are a few finicky details - speed volume wrt other sound - but I am liking it. I am (so far) resisting the temptation tu upgrade the receiver so that I have rear speakers as well and surround and height. :)

Jul 12, 2021 at 11:23 AM Post #79,328 of 149,154
I love the Bosch series. Ted Lasso was a surprisingly impressive show - season two next week I believe. I never could get with Peaky Blindes - except for that fabulous theme tune!

As my hi fi systems are now all perfect (ha!) I have been "upgrading" the home theater to Atmos after construction and rearrangement fo the room we use. We inherited connection points that were across a rectangular room, we have migrate dot "along". The construction involved hardwood flooring installation and the room is now boomy, so I have to learn how to do that. I also have ditched almost everything except the latest AppleTV (still have the Oppo). Despite being a largely Apple household, I had resisted AppleTV. I got it 'cos Netflix via Apple has Atmos. Just wow. The setup is by walking up to the powered up Apple TV with an iPhone. Confirmation if identity and off it goes and does all the setup. Compare and Contrast with Nvidia Shield (which I loved for its performance when we bought it). Color setup of TV? Click an option, hold iPhone camera within an inch of the screen - done! I'm (very) familiar with profiling computer displays and this is well with the 'good enough' envelope.

Still working on the sound setup on my Onkyo receiver, but I am VERY impressed with the 5.1.2 setup I have so far. There are a few finicky details - speed volume wrt other sound - but I am liking it. I am (so far) resisting the temptation tu upgrade the receiver so that I have rear speakers as well and surround and height. :)
I’m intrigued by Atmos for my TV. I have the Apple TV as well and there is a Sennheiser Ambeo sound bar that just tempts me… I am not able to set up real surround in my space but the Atmos sound bars seem like a good solution.

Jul 12, 2021 at 11:27 AM Post #79,329 of 149,154

I run a 7.2 Onkyo receiver myself, friends in the business helped with my speaker system, it has been a while since I worked in that field. I did replace the subwoofers with some I built. I spend a lot of time in front of a computer so I like to work with past skills and learn new ones involving my own labor where possible. :ksc75smile:

Jul 12, 2021 at 11:32 AM Post #79,330 of 149,154
On the power cable front: I have never tested any aftermarket power cables so I have no data based opinion. But socially, it seems that the existence of aftermarket power cables and conditioners is an implicit criticism of the audio equipment designers. An aftermarket power cable that helps implies that the amp, or preamp designer cannot design a noise free power supply. There are amps that cost $20 at Parts Express and amps that cost more than my car, if not my house. Have any of those manufacturers ever raised their hand and said, "We don't need any help!"?

Jul 12, 2021 at 11:38 AM Post #79,331 of 149,154
I’m intrigued by Atmos for my TV. I have the Apple TV as well and there is a Sennheiser Ambeo sound bar that just tempts me… I am not able to set up real surround in my space but the Atmos sound bars seem like a good solution.
I pondered that option too. But I have Elac/Bose speakers already and theElac Atmos speakers, refurbished, popped up on Prime Day for less than $150. The universe has sent me a message........ :wink:

This is sort of like a post old-age crisis. The room alignment change brings, as you might expect, a cascade of changes. The old (well, not quite two years old) home theater sofas and chair are gone, the carpet-to-hardwood-floor has changed the audio characteristics of the room and I had to work out how to move all the feeds and cables to new rotes. It will be a pretty long project, but already the sound is awesome as the CA girls say. We have no mainstream TV, just streaming channels, and oddly, try to manage our TV watching down to a little most evenings. But it is impressive how close to a modern cinema one get get at home.

Jul 12, 2021 at 11:39 AM Post #79,332 of 149,154
I run a 7.2 Onkyo receiver myself, friends in the business helped with my speaker system, it has been a while since I worked in that field. I did replace the subwoofers with some I built. I spend a lot of time in front of a computer so I like to work with past skills and learn new ones involving my own labor where possible. :ksc75smile:
Exactly so! I learned what LFE was this weekend.

Jul 12, 2021 at 12:53 PM Post #79,335 of 149,154
Bosch on Amazon! I just finished reading all the books ... can see where the stories would make for good TV viewing. Also learnt a lot about the real Hieronymus Bosch along the way.
I have read all the books as well. A well written series of books. I get bored with some authors who try to perpetuate a series but not in this case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back