Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 11, 2021 at 8:07 PM Post #79,307 of 145,699
I love early M*A*S*H, but gotta disagree with Seinfeld not holding up. I find myself still quoting that show on an almost daily basis.

Edit: my wife and I bought a “camp“ (aka a house on a lake when you live in Maine) last year and apparently people name these things, so we named ours “Serenity Now.”
I realize there may be as few as six other people in the US who agree with me about Seinfeld, but as much as I enjoyed the early seasons when they were current, I dislike them now.

Good thing everyone agrees with my about everything else or my self esteem wouldn't be as strong as it is.

Jul 11, 2021 at 8:17 PM Post #79,308 of 145,699
Taste in TV shows is the same as taste in music, movies, wine, beer, bbq, coffee, etc.
Enjoy what makes you happy. Opinions of others are irrelevant.

Jul 11, 2021 at 8:56 PM Post #79,309 of 145,699
I wonder how many people adopted I Love Lucy the way people I know have adopted Seinfeld into their lives.
I use "I Love Lucy" to teach Business and Media courses:

"Lucy Stomping Grapes" = (Media) Understanding other cultures and how 'good' comedy doesn't need dialog.
Lucy Stomping Grapes

"I Love Hamburgers" = (Entrepreneurship) Pricing -"the race to zero".
I Love Hamburgers

Jul 11, 2021 at 9:19 PM Post #79,310 of 145,699
It's not ceramic but it could be. Heavy base with metal supporting a semi-circle with soft touch padding.
Yeah mine will be very personalized, I know that shape. I may incorporate LED’s. I have already done glowing filaments on tubes in headphone stands as well as 3D printed stands, copper and hardwood etc. and incorporated a Coaster amp in a couple stands. 😁

A quick and easy one out of copper and cherry when I needed more light. 5126FEDD-08D3-40D2-8C98-E13CE4FF11A3.jpeg

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2021 at 10:06 PM Post #79,311 of 145,699
"Of course you know, this means war."
"OK, Hercules, now do I get my home back?"
"That's a joke son, you missed it. I'm too fast for ya."
"Ah, pronoun trouble."
"...getting footie-prints all over my desert!"
"Dragons is so stupid."
"What a way for a duck to travel: underground."

I'm sure there are others.

I'll add one that is famous here in New Mexico:

"I knew I should have made a left turn at Albuquerque!"

Jul 11, 2021 at 10:14 PM Post #79,312 of 145,699
Hi @tincanear

That's a very good post and reminded me of a question that I've had about power cords.

Could different length power cords within a system introduce a ground differential? Even a small one?

I recently rearranged all my power cords, getting them further away from interconnects, and it did make the system quieter. But looking at all the different lengths of power cords in my collection made me wonder about this.

I agree with @Paladin79 that power cords under 2m shouldn't be an issue, generally. Shorter cords (monoprice, markertek and others have these in 1 foot / 0.5m increments) can help eliminate coiling of excess AC cabling, and maintain spacing to audio interconnects, especially low level signals like mic & turntable outs.

having equal impedances in the AC cords isn't that critical, because each device with a conventional bridge rectifier and capacitor and/or inductor smoothing bank draws power from the AC non-linearly as conduction occurs starting near the crest of the AC waveform (its no-where near sinusoidal on most AC residential power systems) and with conduction angle dependent on load, power supply components, etc. Most AC noise isn't just hum (at 60/50 Hz) but also includes a buzz sound (2x the mains frequency due to full-wave rectification, plus additional harmonics due to the switching nature of the rectifier diodes).

Fewer devices in the chain results in lower ground noise.

Jul 11, 2021 at 11:01 PM Post #79,313 of 145,699
Jul 11, 2021 at 11:07 PM Post #79,314 of 145,699
I realize there may be as few as six other people in the US who agree with me about Seinfeld
I never liked Seinfeld, to me it was a show about nothing.

Then, in the last season, they revealed that, in fact, that was the point. Glad I never wasted my time on it.

Jul 11, 2021 at 11:11 PM Post #79,315 of 145,699
I never liked Seinfeld, to me it was a show about nothing.

Then, in the last season, they revealed that, in fact, that was the point. Glad I never wasted my time on it.
I did not think Seinfeld was funny the first time around, so I never watched it. I had several people insist I watch the best episodes and these just confirmed my opinion of the show, boring and predictable and a waste of time.

Jul 12, 2021 at 1:16 AM Post #79,316 of 145,699
I did not think Seinfeld was funny the first time around, so I never watched it. I had several people insist I watch the best episodes and these just confirmed my opinion of the show, boring and predictable and a waste of time.
AS USUAL, IT'S ONE OF MY DEEPLY BENT IDEAS,
and I suggest WKRP in Cincinnati

Jul 12, 2021 at 7:09 AM Post #79,317 of 145,699
AS USUAL, IT'S ONE OF MY DEEPLY BENT IDEAS,
and I suggest WKRP in Cincinnati
Indeed. A show which couldn't be made today.

Jul 12, 2021 at 9:04 AM Post #79,319 of 145,699
I agree with @Paladin79 that power cords under 2m shouldn't be an issue, generally. Shorter cords (monoprice, markertek and others have these in 1 foot / 0.5m increments) can help eliminate coiling of excess AC cabling, and maintain spacing to audio interconnects, especially low level signals like mic & turntable outs.

having equal impedances in the AC cords isn't that critical, because each device with a conventional bridge rectifier and capacitor and/or inductor smoothing bank draws power from the AC non-linearly as conduction occurs starting near the crest of the AC waveform (its no-where near sinusoidal on most AC residential power systems) and with conduction angle dependent on load, power supply components, etc. Most AC noise isn't just hum (at 60/50 Hz) but also includes a buzz sound (2x the mains frequency due to full-wave rectification, plus additional harmonics due to the switching nature of the rectifier diodes).

Fewer devices in the chain results in lower ground noise.
Well said as always. Here is my favorite coaxial cable for interconnects. It is no longer available due to its cost I suspect. Silver plated French braid shield and high strand count silver center conductor. 537D07E6-4E0C-4DF1-83FD-43AA5277D8B0.jpeg
D8F7B401-4C1B-4E66-9247-4845615DD286.jpeg

I use similar braid for a shield on AC cords.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2021 at 9:22 AM Post #79,320 of 145,699
All In The Family for the win!
:)
Recent shows I really like are:
Bosch on Amazon
Atypical on Netflix (my wife talked me into this one and it is very well done.)
The Patriot on Amazon
Ted Lasso on Apple TV
Narcos on Netflix
Peaky Blinders Netflix
Queens Gambit Netflix....More of a mini-series but the best thing I have watched in years, IMHO
Alone....several sources
Vikings " "

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back