Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 9, 2021 at 6:04 AM Post #79,186 of 149,085
@Les Strat , @gljus
Come on guys, you're just dragging a piece of hard rock over a piece of soft plastic with + 20 dB and - 20 dB corrections and monofied bass to be able to keep the needle in the record groove. What do you expect to get?
Records start wearing the first time you put them on the TT. Don't even start about second hand records where the history is unknown.
Yes, there are masters that are better done for LP than the ones for CD, but vise versa is just as often the case.
And at that point you don't have source material yet (unless you have a well preserved private records collection).

I find it totally ridiculous that people are willing to pay such insane prices for the "vintage" so called "top" material. All vintage audio material is advertised as "High End" nowadays. :ksc75smile:
EMT was designed for 24/7 abusive use in studios. Sounds OK, but nothing fancy. Durability great, HiFi just so so. The Sol arm, due to it's unique unrestrained unipivot design, is way way better sounding.
Technics TT specs are just as great as Sol's, but not an inch better. Only if you need the fast start/stop (again for DJ and studio) it has advantages.
All the rest is smoke and mirrors. Too many people listen with their eyes, wallet and with specs in hand instead of just using their ears.

Record prices is even more derailed. I recently looked at Patricia Barber's Blue café album.
Double album $ 250,00 + shipping for a sealed set.
CD $ 25,00 + shipping
What do you think, the LP has 10 times better sound quality? Buy 7 of these records and you've spend the price of the Urd, go figure.
PS. I prefer the un-mastered 24/192 version of this album.
Jennifer Warnes Famous Blue raincoat, not as high priced, but same differences. And the list goes on and on. Sigh ..............

Exactly the reasons why I’m perfectly happy with my Yggy!

Hell, at the moment, while working from the mountains, I’m perfectly happy with my MacBook’s headphone out :beyersmile:

Jul 9, 2021 at 8:34 AM Post #79,188 of 149,085
Yes, but there IS persimmon pudding… seriously good stuff!
We are known for pork tenderloin sandwiches and sugar cream pie. I had to show my son and his wife what a pork tenderloin sandwich was when he visited a couple weeks ago, both are alums of Indiana University. Personally I am more apt to go for a Cubano sandwich and wash it down with a Cuba Libre made with a quality dark rum. Mustard on the Cubano of course. :ksc75smile:

Jul 9, 2021 at 8:42 AM Post #79,189 of 149,085
Jul 9, 2021 at 8:45 AM Post #79,190 of 149,085
I’m the guy who has 14 varieties of mustard in the house right now (had to borrow some fingers from @Paladin, my first degree was in English Lit, after all). A well executed southern mustard-based bbq is a beautiful thing. (Last really great one I had was in Boone, NC…)
Far out. I never knew Boone was a mustard destination, even after 7 years there getting my bachelors degree. The things I learn in this thread continue to amaze me. :laughing:

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2021 at 9:02 AM Post #79,191 of 149,085
I’m the guy who has 14 varieties of mustard in the house right now (had to borrow some fingers from @Paladin, my first degree was in English Lit, after all). A well executed southern mustard-based bbq is a beautiful thing. (Last really great one I had was in Boone, NC…

14 varieties of mustard!!?? Welcome to yet another affliction -- Mustard Rolling! :D

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2021 at 9:10 AM Post #79,192 of 149,085
Jul 9, 2021 at 9:16 AM Post #79,193 of 149,085
14 varieties of Mustard!!?? Welcome to yet another addiction -- Mustard Rolling! :D
Which is better than rolling in mustard, of course.

Wait. Not intending to sound judgmental here. To each his/her own. :laughing::smile:

Jul 9, 2021 at 9:31 AM Post #79,194 of 149,085
Which is better than rolling in mustard, of course.

Wait. Not intending to sound judgmental here. To each his/her own. :laughing::smile:
@bcowen

You are here pretty early, nothing bad happened with your new job I hope?
This is my usual day off so I am hunting for 6L6GC, a quantity of 6dj8's, a couple 12AT7's and 12BH7's. Possible EL34's as well.

Jul 9, 2021 at 10:01 AM Post #79,195 of 149,085
What about wine rolling?

wine.jpg

Jul 9, 2021 at 10:12 AM Post #79,196 of 149,085
@bcowen

You are here pretty early, nothing bad happened with your new job I hope?
This is my usual day off so I am hunting for 6L6GC, a quantity of 6dj8's, a couple 12AT7's and 12BH7's. Possible EL34's as well.
Nothing bad, just took the day off. In fact, I shut the whole plant down due to being at a (near) standstill waiting on controller boards from our boardhouse (who is waiting on component parts).

What are you using 12AT7's in?

Jul 9, 2021 at 10:23 AM Post #79,197 of 149,085
Nothing bad, just took the day off. In fact, I shut the whole plant down due to being at a (near) standstill waiting on controller boards from our boardhouse (who is waiting on component parts).

What are you using 12AT7's in?
I may rebuild an Audio Research power amp. I can use EL 34’s as power tubes, 8 of them. I just started looking at schematics and upgrades were made. New tubes, caps, repair and setup.

Jul 9, 2021 at 11:38 AM Post #79,199 of 149,085
We are known for pork tenderloin sandwiches and sugar cream pie. I had to show my son and his wife what a pork tenderloin sandwich was when he visited a couple weeks ago, both are alums of Indiana University. Personally I am more apt to go for a Cubano sandwich and wash it down with a Cuba Libre made with a quality dark rum. Mustard on the Cubano of course. :ksc75smile:
My wife is a proud Hoosier. The pork tenderloin sandwiches in neighboring Ohio, even within sight of the Indiana line, are inferior to the Indiana models.

Jul 9, 2021 at 12:02 PM Post #79,200 of 149,085
My wife is a proud Hoosier. The pork tenderloin sandwiches in neighboring Ohio, even within sight of the Indiana line, are inferior to the Indiana models.
Any Ohio food specialties? I am over there on occasion to buy audio equipment and in past years for card or chess tournaments.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back