Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 4, 2021 at 12:23 AM Post #78,961 of 149,257
Great suggestion, but now I'm wondering if I should invest on a better tube for my Saga... any suggestions?
Saga, having a gain of 1 / 0dB / buffer stage only, and no gain stage, the sound is likely to be less impacted by tube rolling. If you want more of a tube sound, consider a Vali 2 (the prev gen without the added transistor driver stage) running on high gain, with a stack of tube savers, and an adapter to use your larger octals (e.g. 6SN7).

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2021 at 12:52 AM Post #78,962 of 149,257
It came with a Tung Sol GTB, which I also have in my Darkvoice. Just curious, I don't want to spend a lot, just wondering if another option exists for an inexpensive amount.
Lots of options, start looking for 6SN7s. New production and some NOS Russians are good tovery good for not much…

Jul 4, 2021 at 2:46 AM Post #78,963 of 149,257
Where are you located? I may have some tubes I can give you just so you can experience a couple other brands.
I'm in Vancouver Canada, the customs BS is too much of a hassle. I appreciate your kindness and generosity, but I can just pick something up.

Jul 4, 2021 at 6:02 AM Post #78,964 of 149,257
Saga, having a gain of 1 / 0dB / buffer stage only, and no gain stage, the sound is likely to be less impacted by tube rolling. If you want more of a tube sound, consider a Vali 2 (the prev gen without the added transistor driver stage) running on high gain, with a stack of tube savers, and an adapter to use your larger octals (e.g. 6SN7).
Yup, adapters open up a whole new universe of tube rolling. Just scratching the surface of possibilities, but here's the Vali 2 with a 7N7 (which is a 6SN7 electrically but with a different base):

Vali and Frank.jpg

And a 6CG7 (mentioned earlier here) has the same pinout as the 6BZ7 the Vali ships with so no adapter needed...but you'll get a different sound:

Westinghouse 6CG7.jpg

Jul 4, 2021 at 8:45 AM Post #78,965 of 149,257
Saga's were used in a 6sn7 shootout I helped Jason with but they are the only Schiit tube product I have not owned. Jason warned me at the time it was a buffer stage so you are very accurate in your assessment. I can hear a little tube difference in Lyr 3 but not on the level with which @bcowen can differentiate between tubes using said amp. I have done plenty of listening with the Vali 2 and various tubes and adapters and it can be a lot of fun for little money and 6sn7's do run safely in that amp with a proper adapter, or two. :ksc75smile: IMG_0587.jpg

Jul 4, 2021 at 9:16 AM Post #78,966 of 149,257
A few of us here built Schiit Coaster amps (Vali mini) and while I never succeeded in mounting one inside a scotch bottle, it was fun trying to find the perfect sized bottle for said use. :beerchug:

IMG_0023.jpg
The magic eight ball was a much better fit, perfect in fact.

IMG_0053.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2021 at 9:27 AM Post #78,967 of 149,257
Saga's were used in a 6sn7 shootout I helped Jason with but they are the only Schiit tube product I have not owned. Jason warned me at the time it was a buffer stage so you are very accurate in your assessment. I can hear a little tube difference in Lyr 3 but not on the level with which @bcowen can differentiate between tubes using said amp. I have done plenty of listening with the Vali 2 and various tubes and adapters and it can be a lot of fun for little money and 6sn7's do run safely in that amp with a proper adapter, or two. :ksc75smile:

Totally agree that the Vali 2 is lots of fun to play with, and sounds far better than its price would even remotely suggest. My HP journey started with a Vali 2 and a Modi Multibit, and when I upgraded to the Lyr 3 I stupidly sold the Vali 2 (to a friend) thinking I didn't "need" it any more. Well, I truly didn't need it (but 'need' and 'audio toys' should never be used in the same sentence :smile:) so I snapped up a replacement from B-stock a couple months later.

Here's a PSVane CV-181T Mk II (a 6SN7 with another name), and the Vali never tipped over:

PSVane Vali.jpg

A Mullard CV3986 (a flying lead tube with specs similar to a 6922):

Mullard CV3986 in Vali 2.jpg

And a couple adapters for, um, flexibility. Yeah, flexibility. :smile: The only limitation is your imagination (and knowing how to read a tube spec sheet):

Adapter Stash.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2021 at 9:30 AM Post #78,968 of 149,257
A few of us here built Schiit Coaster amps (Vali mini) and while I never succeeded in mounting one inside a scotch bottle, it was fun trying to find the perfect sized bottle for said use. :beerchug:

The magic eight ball was a much better fit, perfect in fact.

It's a shame you poured all that scotch down the drain just trying to get the bottle. Reminds me of dumping all the cereal out of the box just trying to get the toy (for those of us old enough to remember those days). :laughing:

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2021 at 9:45 AM Post #78,970 of 149,257
It's a shame you poured all that scotch down the drain just trying to get the bottle. Reminds me of dumping all the cereal out of the box just trying to get the toy (for those of us old enough to remember those days). :laughing:
Wait are you saying you can drink the stuff? Please note I can get by with the 17 year old but if you ever send me a bottle, make it the 21 year old. :L3000: Ripper sent me a fine bottle of cognac so you have to outdo him right?

Jul 4, 2021 at 9:50 AM Post #78,971 of 149,257
Wait are you saying you can drink the stuff? Please note I can get by with the 17 year old but if you ever send me a bottle, make it the 21 year old. :L3000: Ripper sent me a fine bottle of cognac so you have to outdo him right?
I've sent you several bottles way older than that already. They just didn't have liquor in them. :laughing:

And I outdid @Ripper2860 just by getting up this morning....

Jul 4, 2021 at 9:50 AM Post #78,972 of 149,257
Finally, a proper tube image! :sunglasses:
There are tubes on the Coaster, it is a hybrid amp but they are kind of tiny. I was also trying to make an Escher sphere with a coaster in it, thus the mold of my right hand.
1625406573599.png

Jul 4, 2021 at 9:56 AM Post #78,973 of 149,257
There are tubes on the Coaster, it is a hybrid amp but they are kind of tiny. I was also trying to make an Escher sphere with a coaster in it, thus the mold of my right hand.
1625406573599.png

Now that's a truly interesting picture. Your thumb is on the wrong side for your right hand, yet your left hand is on your knee? Unless you have two left hands like me. :smile:

Jul 4, 2021 at 10:16 AM Post #78,974 of 149,257
Now that's a truly interesting picture. Your thumb is on the wrong side for your right hand, yet your left hand is on your knee? Unless you have two left hands like me. :smile:
Good catch, and you are most certainly sinistral. :L3000:

Jul 4, 2021 at 11:17 AM Post #78,975 of 149,257
Actually, no, the picture is correct. Try standing in front of your bathroom mirror and raising your right hand...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back