Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jun 30, 2021 at 11:25 PM Post #78,856 of 145,673
Thanks. What I'm looking for is the ability to download podcasts, as mp3 files, so that they can be moved into my file folder organization to be read and played by Roon.

That's how it worked in the old Apple podcast system and was all automated. I'd like to keep that style of system.

Cheers
I'm not sure if it's quite what you are looking for but I use something called gPodder. It downloads podcast episodes and saves them locally.
I just play them but they can also be exported to other locations (not automatically though).
Windows, mac, linux versions. https://gpodder.github.io/

The trick is, though, in order to subscribe to a podcast you have to find the underlying rss feed (xml file) which is sometimes pretty well hidden.

Jun 30, 2021 at 11:32 PM Post #78,857 of 145,673
Here he is looking innocent as he steals my chair in my shop😜D6063C5B-F3A4-4B9A-9B2E-4281FD3CDCA9.jpeg
My brother has a twenty-four pound kitteh. He is HUGE but has what I call "piano" legs. He also has had a catsectomy so he still has his (my brother's term, LOL!) "furberries".

My wife said no to another cat as our last one's passing tore her heart out and when our dog dies, she says it will be like when I die. No more dogs. No more toads. Ever. the dog she loves, but me? I am barely tolerable. :ksc75smile: I do not blame her one bit.

Jul 1, 2021 at 7:21 AM Post #78,859 of 145,673
All. Goddamn. Semester. I used one of you housepanthers to illustrate the electrostatic series to my junior electricans. :ksc75smile: I got bit... several times. Heh heh.

Jul 1, 2021 at 7:39 AM Post #78,860 of 145,673
Welcome to the thread, @bdemz .:) I had a lot of weird drop-outs, pips, blips and other issues when I was running an elderly Lenovo T400 as my digital source to my MODI dac. I tried using Foobar2000 on the PC. Nope. It didn't help. That PC (that was running Windows 7) was eventually replaced with a Chromebook (Acer Chromebook 15), and I have been very happy with it's results. In my other listening rig, I'm feeding a Schiit DAC using a HP/Compaq Deskpro 6000. That PC's running Windows 10.

For PC music players, I'm very pleased with Foobar 2000. Link #1. Re: Media Monkey. I've heard good things about Media Monkey... I'd suggest trying it out. @bdemz , have you given Clementine a try? VLC is a heavy-duty multimedia player that is robust and seems to play well with Schiit digital kit (link #2). Here is a link to a HowToGeek article that summarizes different players (other than iTunes) you might like to try out (Link #3). My 2 cents... :beerchug:
I'm replying to my own post (I regret that, @bdemz [sorry]). If money's tight, take a look at this 2017 article about troubleshooting Windows7 audio issues:
CHRIS HOFFMAN @chrisbhoffman
UPDATED JUL 12, 2017, 11:06 AM EDT | 3 MIN READ. Link here. I'd check on the status of the suggested program, LatencyMon... is it still supported. Here's an audio troubleshooting link for Windows 10. For my MacOS peeps, there's an accompanying article. And apparently for the Linux distro crowd too! Again, my 2.02 cents... :)

Jul 1, 2021 at 7:53 AM Post #78,861 of 145,673
To my peers, North of the 49th parallel... :flag_ca: Happy Canada Day. And with recent events, I'd like to wish us a heartfelt rememberance day. Let's learn from our history, eh.

Jul 1, 2021 at 10:06 AM Post #78,862 of 145,673
Hey all,

No chapter this week, but here's another update: I'm back in Valencia for a while, since Corpus is running so smoothly. It's going so well there that we're moving the final small product--Mani--there on the next run. We're also accelerating production of all small units, so backorders on any of the "small stacks" should be in the rearview mirror soon. Yeah, I know, Modi Multibit still drags, but we're working on that. With four PCB assembly houses (and soon a 5th), the bottleneck in PCBs is broken.

The even better news is that this bottleneck applies to Valencia as well, and soon some of the oldest-in-backorder products will be shipping. Yes, even Gungnir and Yggdrasil. And some new products are on the line--again, don't get too excited, this means we still have to do first articles, approve them, etc. And our metal guys are really stepping up...heck, they haven't been a limiting factor for some time.

In short, everything is finally falling into place. It took a few months longer than I expected, but I'm hoping to have supply issues largely worked out by Fall. We'll see.

The only real sticking point is 6SN7 tubes. I know we are tube-limited on Freya+, hence the ability to buy Freya+ without tubes. Don't be surprised if that becomes the only option in a couple of months, and if that shortage persists for a couple of months. And yes, I know, that might be profoundly frustrating. But by that time, Freya S should be back on-line, so a large balanced preamp will also be an option again.

More soon!

All the best,
Jason

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jul 1, 2021 at 10:14 AM Post #78,863 of 145,673
Hey all,

No chapter this week, but here's another update: I'm back in Valencia for a while, since Corpus is running so smoothly. It's going so well there that we're moving the final small product--Mani--there on the next run. We're also accelerating production of all small units, so backorders on any of the "small stacks" should be in the rearview mirror soon. Yeah, I know, Modi Multibit still drags, but we're working on that. With four PCB assembly houses (and soon a 5th), the bottleneck in PCBs is broken.

The even better news is that this bottleneck applies to Valencia as well, and soon some of the oldest-in-backorder products will be shipping. Yes, even Gungnir and Yggdrasil. And some new products are on the line--again, don't get too excited, this means we still have to do first articles, approve them, etc. And our metal guys are really stepping up...heck, they haven't been a limiting factor for some time.

In short, everything is finally falling into place. It took a few months longer than I expected, but I'm hoping to have supply issues largely worked out by Fall. We'll see.

The only real sticking point is 6SN7 tubes. I know we are tube-limited on Freya+, hence the ability to buy Freya+ without tubes. Don't be surprised if that becomes the only option in a couple of months, and if that shortage persists for a couple of months. And yes, I know, that might be profoundly frustrating. But by that time, Freya S should be back on-line, so a large balanced preamp will also be an option again.

More soon!

All the best,
Jason
Sounds great Jason! It's like the light at the end of a very long and dark tunnel

Jul 1, 2021 at 10:19 AM Post #78,864 of 145,673
Freya S may be revived??!! Woohoo!!! :D

Jul 1, 2021 at 10:56 AM Post #78,867 of 145,673
I suspect if the tube shortage continues this will be a longer standing run than initially anticipated -- exceeding the stock of S cases recently discovered. It may also require re-thinking tube types and re-engineering for 12SN7s, 6SL7s or other types? Then again, maybe they'll just start soldering in 6SN7-to-12A*7 adapters and offering them instead! :D

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2021 at 11:20 AM Post #78,868 of 145,673
The value of my Freya S just declined. On the other hand, stock in 6SN7s just went up.

Jul 1, 2021 at 11:47 AM Post #78,870 of 145,673
To my peers, North of the 49th parallel... :flag_ca: Happy Canada Day. And with recent events, I'd like to wish us a heartfelt rememberance day. Let's learn from our history, eh.

Thanks.

Yeah, history's a b!tch. As Dan Brown said, "History is always written by the winners." In this modern world that is no longer fully accurate. And western historians deprecate oral history, so if it's not written down it didn't happen. Not so good for the extremely disadvantaged (or in many cases, those that don't write English).

We in Canada are finding out that spoken history has weight as well, and technology is catching up to support it. We have to take a hard look at our history, and what it took to become a country. It's never pretty when foreigners move in and displace the natives -- Canada is a good example of that in current news, but it applies to nearly every country, one way or another. We are young enough that the oral history is only a generation or two old, and we are willing to listen. But it's happening in real time in other parts of the world, and dates back centuries in Europe, who exported the technique to every other continent.

Today is a good day for reflection in Canada, along with celebrating.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back