Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jun 28, 2021 at 6:09 PM Post #78,796 of 145,572
Excuse me, I said "belt and suspenders" not "suspenders and a bra" lol.
Haven't heard that in years. Thanks for the laugh!

rsync sucks as well as blows.........

AS you are a Mac guy, I'd also strongly recommend Chronosync which I find a bit simpler to use, plus it has a GUI.
I'll give it a try.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2021 at 8:34 PM Post #78,797 of 145,572
Unfortunately, that's what it's like in the south. Hazy, hot, and humid every summer. I usually don't even fire my home system up in the summer. Home A/C just too noisy.

The heat and humidity is probably why @bcowen likes cheap beer and vinegar based BBQ. He's been slowly braised to death, from living in NC for so long! He knows no better. No live brain cells left...! :upside_down:
I was in California before moving here. Contributory braising, kind of. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Jun 28, 2021 at 9:54 PM Post #78,799 of 145,572
Excuse me, I said "belt and suspenders" not "suspenders and a bra" lol.
Haven't heard that in years. Thanks for the laugh!

I'll give it a try.
Ah, but suspenders. And, of course, they are not what you think - as a speaker of Simple English.

I often smile and wonder how much of the cultural stuff simply floats over the heads of a non-Brit. For example in the fish licence (another example of Simple English, in the British version nouns have a 'c' and verbs have an 's' - to the amazement of my beloved who claims to have a degree in (Simple) English from Pomona and to have taught English too - when the conversation turns to Eric the cat and the fact that the Cat Detector Van found him. The TV Dtetecor Van (a real thing, BTW) has no meaning or context outside the UK.

I could go on - Ms Jody say I do, relentlessly - but divided by a single language we certainly are.....

Cheers

Jun 28, 2021 at 10:38 PM Post #78,800 of 145,572
I know. Pot, kettle, black. And Virginia is just as HHH as NC. But, it doesn't get Hellacious until you hit Florida...! 🥵
Y. Wife’s family still around Smith Mtn Lake, and I was always glad to only spend the school year in Lexington… You can cut the air with a chainsaw…

Jun 28, 2021 at 10:47 PM Post #78,801 of 145,572
Ah, but suspenders. And, of course, they are not what you think - as a speaker of Simple English.

I often smile and wonder how much of the cultural stuff simply floats over the heads of a non-Brit. For example in the fish licence (another example of Simple English, in the British version nouns have a 'c' and verbs have an 's' - to the amazement of my beloved who claims to have a degree in (Simple) English from Pomona and to have taught English too - when the conversation turns to Eric the cat and the fact that the Cat Detector Van found him. The TV Dtetecor Van (a real thing, BTW) has no meaning or context outside the UK.

I could go on - Ms Jody say I do, relentlessly - but divided by a single language we certainly are.....

Cheers
I presume the TV Detector Van goes around apprehending people who haven't paid their BBC license fee?

(And if BBC lives off of fees, why do their podcasts have ads? (Yes, I know, just joking.)

Jun 28, 2021 at 10:51 PM Post #78,802 of 145,572
then in the last update of ... they renamed them, hid them and completely f&*ed up my automation. I have yet to find a solution that allows regular (automated) downloads of pods
This happened to me about 15yo with Apple's arrogance. Since then I stopped participating in the Apple ecosystem for entertainment media.
Love their OS/hardware but it's becoming less suitable for software development each release.

I have yet to find a workable solution that involves Apple hardware for podcasts. I only want an episode downloaded on Wifi and I want it kept on the device until I listen to it.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2021 at 10:58 PM Post #78,803 of 145,572
I have yet to find a workable solution that involves Apple hardware for podcasts. I only want an episode downloaded on Wifi and I want it kept on the device until I listen to it.
Overcast on iOS does this. It can be set to download on WiFi only and I never noticed it deleting unlistened to episodes.

Jun 28, 2021 at 11:07 PM Post #78,804 of 145,572
RE: Roon ROCK and backup.

I run ROCK on a NUC8-i5. 256gb SSD for OS and database. 2tb nvme drive for internal storage. The internal storage folder is mapped to my Windows Server 2019 as a network drive. I use RealTimeSync for windows on the server to sync this folder to another windows drive that actually resides in my Synology NAS (RAID6) via an iSCSI LUN. The synced windows folder with all my media then backs up to CrashPlan automatically.

So whenever I copy music to the internal ROCK drive, it automatically backs up to my RAID6 NAS and to CrashPlan. The ROCK database automatically backs itself up to a different folder on the synology. No issues so far over the last several months.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2021 at 9:50 AM Post #78,809 of 145,572

Cheers
When I bought my new iPad, I enabled the British English dictionaries along with the US versions. Learnt a lot of new words in CodyCross because of that! :)

Jun 29, 2021 at 10:07 AM Post #78,810 of 145,572

Users who are viewing this thread

Back