Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jun 28, 2021 at 12:01 PM Post #78,781 of 149,160
I was referring to the media itself. I do use the internal HDD in the NUC for my media but I also keep a copy on my NAS (yes, I'm a belt and suspenders kind of guy).
It would be convenient if there was an easy way to keep them synched using ROCK.
This is currently not possible using only ROCK. It's a feature request that has gone out to the Roon team. You need to backup using other means outside of ROCK at this point.

-edit- I assume you could add rsync to ROCK, but I do not know. Anyone tried it?

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2021 at 12:49 PM Post #78,782 of 149,160
Ah, I found the answer on the Roon forum You cannot add anything to ROCK:

Q: I noticed there is a ssh server running on Rock. Is there a way to get inside?

Solved by danny in post #13
There is not. Even if you could, any changes you make would be clobbered on reboot. The root filesystem is SQUASHFS w/ RAM based overlay. If you need to change something, running a different Linux distribution is your best bet.

Jun 28, 2021 at 1:39 PM Post #78,783 of 149,160
Two small Hel 2 updates:

1. It has been fun listening to somethings and finding how much better the Hel 2 sounds than the Fulla 2. I enjoy listening to the podcast version of Critical Role (a dungeons and dragons game played but a bunch of professional voice actors). Last thursday was my first time listening with the Hel and I was impressed how good the opening song sounded.

2. I am very grateful that the Hel 2 does a competent job of driving my HD600s. It is 10:30 a.m. and my room is already roughly 91 degrees Fahrenheit. (~33 degrees Celsius). It is nice to be able to use my open back headphones without turning on the Valhalla 2 and making the heat worse.

Jun 28, 2021 at 2:21 PM Post #78,784 of 149,160
...2. I am very grateful that the Hel 2 does a competent job of driving my HD600s. It is 10:30 a.m. and my room is already roughly 91 degrees Fahrenheit. (~33 degrees Celsius). It is nice to be able to use my open back headphones without turning on the Valhalla 2 and making the heat worse.

Unfortunately, that's what it's like in the south. Hazy, hot, and humid every summer. I usually don't even fire my home system up in the summer. Home A/C just too noisy.

The heat and humidity is probably why @bcowen likes cheap beer and vinegar based BBQ. He's been slowly braised to death, from living in NC for so long! He knows no better. No live brain cells left...! :upside_down:

Jun 28, 2021 at 3:08 PM Post #78,785 of 149,160
Unfortunately, that's what it's like in the south. Hazy, hot, and humid every summer. I usually don't even fire my home system up in the summer. Home A/C just too noisy.

The heat and humidity is probably why @bcowen likes cheap beer and vinegar based BBQ. He's been slowly braised to death, from living in NC for so long! He knows no better. No live brain cells left...! :upside_down:
That is fair, but being in the PNW means I do not have AC in my house. While we do have a small portable unit, my housemate gets priority for that since he works nights and needs to be able to sleep during the day. Also, I would have to rearrange my room a bit to use it.

For my speaker system, I have an Antique Sound Lab AQ-1003dt integrated tube amp: four 12au7 and four 6CA7. Not having AC means it does not get much play in the summer unless it is late at night or I am feeling especially masochistic.

Part of me wants to get a relatively cheap d class solid state amp. Or something that does not radiate quite as much heat so I can enjoy music without suffering the summer.

Jun 28, 2021 at 3:08 PM Post #78,786 of 149,160
So my friends. After a long time of mourning a little lady came by and decided to stay and live with me.
Say hello to missus Fok-Yu.

Fok-Yu2.jpg

She is still a little nervous so a good picture is difficult.

Jun 28, 2021 at 3:26 PM Post #78,787 of 149,160

Q: I noticed there is a ssh server running on Rock. Is there a way to get inside?

Solved by danny in post #13
You probably can't add rsync to ROCK, but Roon exposes it's music content as a network share; easy enough to run rsync on another host .......

Jun 28, 2021 at 4:05 PM Post #78,788 of 149,160
So my friends. After a long time of mourning a little lady came by and decided to stay and live with me.

Fok-Yu2.jpg

Mighty fine looking friend you’ve found. Elma sends her regards to Fok-Yu.

F3F20EC4-0FAF-4E97-A1D9-D241EB7E3907.jpeg

Jun 28, 2021 at 4:11 PM Post #78,789 of 149,160
You probably can't add rsync to ROCK, but Roon exposes it's music content as a network share; easy enough to run rsync on another host .......
Oh schiit. That absolutely works. Why didn't I think of that?
Which is probably why ROCK is so solid. As mentioned on Roon's site and referenced a few posts ago, if one re-boots ROCK it essentially installs a fresh version of the OS which will wipe out any changes made by the user.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2021 at 4:41 PM Post #78,790 of 149,160

Fok-Yu2.jpg

Hello to ***-Yu from Thomas and his mom Sox

Attachments

• sox.jpg
    sox.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 0
Jun 28, 2021 at 4:58 PM Post #78,791 of 149,160

Fok-Yu2.jpg

I love the name! It's good that you found some companionship...or rather that she found you.
Cheers and All the Best! :beerchug:
-HK sends

Jun 28, 2021 at 5:34 PM Post #78,792 of 149,160
Report from the Schiitr

I was finally able to visit the Schiitr last weekend – on the hottest weekend so far this year (and Newhall gets hot!). I had planned to take a trip to Newhall for some time now, but something else always came up. I had a great time and there were many new products to listen to that I hadn’t heard before. I brought my MrSpeakers (now Dan Clark Audio) Aeon Flow Closed headphone along + a Focal Elegia for my wife.

(Tip: If you plan to bring your wife/husband/spouse/boyfriend/girlfriend/significant other/partner to the Schiitr then please remember to bring a second headphone for him/her/them so that they have something to listen to.)

Here’s a quick rundown of the stuff that I listened to. By the way, the Schiitr has all listening stations hooked up to iPads with Tidal so you can pretty much find whatever music that you like:

Jotunheim 2. This was my primary reason for my visit. I’ve been interested in the Jotunheim 2 since it was released, but I wanted to listen to it before placing the order. I wasn’t too enamored with the original Jotunheim – I always found the treble to have a slight ‘metallic’ tinge to it that bothered me. Not so with the Jotunheim 2 – its treble is smooth and pleasant (and the Aeon Closed can be unforgiving of amps that don’t have a smooth treble). The first thing that struck me was the deep and juicy bass and the general lively, dynamic sound. Very enjoyable. Also, the midrange is very vivid and expressive. I kind of recognize a bit of the wonderful midrange character from the Aegir (and the Lyr 3 and Asgard 3 for that matter). I wonder if it’s the Continuity technology that contributes to this great midrange sound? Whatever it is, I like it. Needless to say, I placed the order after returning from the Schiitr. (And no, they don’t have a secret stash of amps that you can pick up while you’re there. Just place the order online and the amp will be delivered when it is ready.)

Vali 2+ and Modi Multibit. I owned the original Vali, which was a bit of an oddball amp. It could sound great with the right headphones (and pretty bright and harsh with the wrong ones), and every time you plugged or unplugged the headphone you were rewarded with a long piiiiinnnnggg sound as the (very) microphonic tubes settled down. Vali 2+ is not like that at all – in fact, this was a very user-friendly and enjoyable combo to listen to. I especially enjoyed the midrange. Curious about what the tube sound is all about? Get a Vali 2 – it’s a great little amp.

Loki Mini+ with Modi and Magni. I was interested in the Loki Mini+ and as soon as I figured out how to enable the EQ (the switch goes up to enable it) I was rewarded with four well-chosen EQ bands. I was impressed with how well the EQ bands enabled me to fine-tune the sound to my liking. More deep bass? Left knob. Less treble shimmer? Right knob. Lower the sibilance range? Second to the right. Yes, I know I can do the same thing using the software EQ in J River, but it’s just so satisfying to turn the knobs. Plus, I enjoy the thought of irritating the purists by using an equalizer.

Modius and Magnius. Built for folks who need their equipment to measure well, this combo sounded clean and clear. I certainly wouldn’t call it cold or sterile, but if you’re looking for euphonic sound you need to look elsewhere.

On a final (and funny) note there was a problem with the bathroom at the Schiitr, or more specifically the toilet. Liquid waste was OK. Solid waste? Not so much. So while it was possible to visit the Schiitr, you couldn’t – well, you know. :)

Here's a photo of the listening stations:
Schiitr 062621.JPG

Jun 28, 2021 at 6:00 PM Post #78,794 of 149,160
I was referring to the media itself. I do use the internal HDD in the NUC for my media but I also keep a copy on my NAS (yes, I'm a belt and suspenders kind of guy).
It would be convenient if there was an easy way to keep them synched using ROCK.
Please do not wish for monolithic software that takes control of everything :)

Most modern software has metadata separate from the data. Think photo editors, etc. Though I love much about Apple, they do this with Photos and now with podcasts. I used to have a system that moved downloaded podcasts into my music folder system, then in the last update of Podcasts they renamed them, hid them and completely f&*ed up my automation. I have yet to find a solution that allows regular (automated) downloads of pods that retains naming etc and allows me to move them, intact.

:frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back