Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jun 26, 2021 at 5:46 PM Post #78,754 of 149,153
When I first heard or Roon I thought it was way too expensive. But when they had a 3month deal on I finally gave it a shot. Now I don’t want to go without it…

I still need to pickup a NUC to run the Core on. It’s running on an old laptop now which still gets used for some other tasks.

Enjoy your concert!

I put together a NUC two months ago to run ROCK. I chose a mid-level NUC 8 i5, 500 GB SSD, 16 GB RAM and an internal 2TB HDD.
It has been solid since day one and I doubt you'll be unhappy.

Screen Shot 2021-06-26 at 4.29.07 PM.png

I'm not bragging about uptime as 56 days is not brag-worthy. I'm just showing that in my instance it has been very stable.
I remember my Win 3-7 days where I would have killed for 56 hours of uptime. "Windows needs to restart"...

win.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2021 at 6:20 PM Post #78,756 of 149,153
re: running Roon Core on a dedicated machine. Highly recommended. Also highly recommended is to abandon Windows and install your chosen flavor of Linux and the Roon Linux distro. Rock solid for me and as of this post, 120 days since my last reboot.

Jun 26, 2021 at 6:31 PM Post #78,757 of 149,153
re: running Roon Core on a dedicated machine. Highly recommended. Also highly recommended is to abandon Windows and install your chosen flavor of Linux and the Roon Linux distro. Rock solid for me and as of this post, 120 days since my last reboot.
A solid choice as Linux distros also allow for backup options that are missing on Roon ROCK.

Jun 26, 2021 at 7:17 PM Post #78,758 of 149,153
I put together a NUC two months ago to run ROCK. I chose a mid-level NUC 8 i5, 500 GB SSD, 16 GB RAM and an internal 2TB HDD.
It has been solid since day one and I doubt you'll be unhappy.

I'm not bragging about uptime as 56 days is not brag-worthy. I'm just showing that in my instance it has been very stable.
I remember my Win 3-7 days where I would have killed for 56 hours of uptime. "Windows needs to restart"...

Yeah. There’s been a few times the better half has used the laptop but forgot to plug it in, then later I’m stuck wondering why my Roon is down. So no doubt I need a NUC so I have a more reliable solution. I was hoping the 11th gen NUCs would be here by now (since they’re actually 10nm and not the 14nm++++) but in the end I’m sure an 8th or 10th gen would work just fine.
Yeah when I get there I’ll probably build it on Debian. At my work we use Windows more than Linux but at home it’s the reverse :wink:.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2021 at 8:32 PM Post #78,759 of 149,153
...and Pig Pen Mckernan, Brent Mydland, Vince Welnick, Keith Godchaux, Donna Godchaux, Tom Constanten and Bruce Hornsby.

Pig Pen died from a congenital liver disease, exacerbated by alcohol, at age 27. Keith & Donna Godchaux left the GD and Jerry Garcia Band to save their marriage (Keith died a year later in a car accident). Brent Mydland died of a drug overdose- personal demons. Vince Welnick committed suicide several years after Jerry's passing. Tom Constanten was in the band for 15 months, he left to pursue other musical interests. Bruce Hornsby performed with the band a few times before Brent's passing, and agreed to help bring Vince into the band but was never considered a permanent member, merely a "guest in residence."

It has long been said the the keyboard chair in the Grateful Dead was the hot seat, and this certainly proved true for the 4 primary keyboard players.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2021 at 9:45 PM Post #78,760 of 149,153
A solid choice as Linux distros also allow for backup options that are missing on Roon ROCK
I'm a big fan of Syncthing. A bit finicky to set up initially, but a great solution for keeping multiple Linux, macOS, etc systems in sync. I have servers in two locations, and another one I carry between the two. The same music everywhere, quite a bit of redundancy too. In an ideal world, Roon ROCK would come with Syncthing preinstalled, so the backup issue would be irrelevant.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2021 at 10:03 PM Post #78,761 of 149,153
I kinda sorta know where mine are, most likely at the end of the flood we had last Friday.B1205012-4C7B-455A-A477-7B2AC2E43AA1.jpeg

Those are the tops of parking meters poking up out of the water.
If you could just dig a trench to California, we’d gladly accept the water. If we can’t drink it, we can use it to put out fires!

Jun 26, 2021 at 10:41 PM Post #78,762 of 149,153
If you could just dig a trench to California, we’d gladly accept the water. If we can’t drink it, we can use it to put out fires!
Now is a good time to stock up on air purifier filters before they go out of stock.

Jun 27, 2021 at 7:35 AM Post #78,763 of 149,153
Jun 27, 2021 at 8:58 AM Post #78,764 of 149,153
Strange times, it is cooler than usual here and most of the west coast is getting extreme heat. We get a lot of rainfall due to hurricanes which seem to be gaining strength. Predictions here are for a chance of rain six days in a row as of today.

Hopefully you will not have the fires you had last year but I just read this, sigh.

20,780 wildfires

2021: This year's wildfire season is predicted to be another severe one. From January 1 to May 13, 2021 there were about 20,780 wildfires, compared with 14,890 in the same period 2020, according to the National Interagency Fire Center. About 547,000 acres were burned, compared with 324,500 in 2020.

Jun 27, 2021 at 5:02 PM Post #78,765 of 149,153
Strange times, it is cooler than usual here and most of the west coast is getting extreme heat. We get a lot of rainfall due to hurricanes which seem to be gaining strength. Predictions here are for a chance of rain six days in a row as of today.

Hopefully you will not have the fires you had last year but I just read this, sigh.

20,780 wildfires

2021: This year's wildfire season is predicted to be another severe one. From January 1 to May 13, 2021 there were about 20,780 wildfires, compared with 14,890 in the same period 2020, according to the National Interagency Fire Center. About 547,000 acres were burned, compared with 324,500 in 2020.
And it isn't even our traditional fire season yet. It is going to be bad this year. There is so much dead wood in the Sierra from the previous drought and borer beetle infestation that it is going to be really ugly if those areas start to burn.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back