Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jun 15, 2021 at 10:41 PM Post #78,376 of 149,159
Listen to as much live music as you can, avoiding rock concert PA systems.

Then listen to electronics reproducing the same music which the objectivists tell us has 0.00000001% distortion.

Then tell me which side of the fence you're on.

Jun 15, 2021 at 11:37 PM Post #78,377 of 149,159
Jun 16, 2021 at 5:46 AM Post #78,379 of 149,159
Science is not opinion. Science is observation, and not only that it is observation that can be replicated multiple times by multiple people regardless of their opinions (or beliefs.) Doing something once and "leaving something out" is not science, it is experimentation.

Saying science is just an opinion is a common tactic used by those who wish to denigrate science. I am not saying that is what you are doing, only that what you said sounds like that.
I thought experimentation is part of science.

Jun 16, 2021 at 8:44 AM Post #78,381 of 149,159
I was (and am, again). But Muriel’s Wedding just screwed ABBA for me for abt 20 years…
No, no, no, no no...........

Who could not love Rachael Griffiths & Toni Colette doing Waterloo............?

BTW, there are some amazing movies and TV series coming out of Australia....

I may be a leeeeetle biased, my son is an Aussie.....

Jun 16, 2021 at 8:52 AM Post #78,382 of 149,159

I always enjoyed Richard Roxburgh in Rake, a fun series from a few years back. :ksc75smile:

Jun 16, 2021 at 9:46 AM Post #78,383 of 149,159

Flying Doctors, Sons and Daughters, good memories about those.

Jun 16, 2021 at 10:29 AM Post #78,384 of 149,159
I thought experimentation is part of science.
Of course. But an experiment only yields data, it is not "sconce" by itself. As you say, it is just part of a process.

Jun 16, 2021 at 10:54 AM Post #78,386 of 149,159
Of course. But an experiment only yields data, it is not "sconce" by itself. As you say, it is just part of a process.
And experiments can be interpreted very self-centeredly. Audio people often seem to do one experiment and say, "See, I told you!" Or link to one experiment and say the same thing. A theory is rightly proven when many experiments, done by different people, confirm the results. Confirmation need not be exact, but should not be contradictory. Also biased experimenters are always suspect. I liked the experiment (referenced here several pages back) that seems to show balanced cables are detectably better than single ended cables. There seemed to be no axe to grind and the experimental subjects did not have foregone conclusions. But I'd like it better if three or four other experiments confirmed it.

Jun 16, 2021 at 11:18 AM Post #78,387 of 149,159
And experiments can be interpreted very self-centeredly. Audio people often seem to do one experiment and say, "See, I told you!" Or link to one experiment and say the same thing. A theory is rightly proven when many experiments, done by different people, confirm the results. Confirmation need not be exact, but should not be contradictory. Also biased experimenters are always suspect. I liked the experiment (referenced here several pages back) that seems to show balanced cables are detectably better than single ended cables. There seemed to be no axe to grind and the experimental subjects did not have foregone conclusions. But I'd like it better if three or four other experiments confirmed it.
What you describe is not science, except for perhaps the last sentence.

Jun 16, 2021 at 11:31 AM Post #78,389 of 149,159

Users who are viewing this thread

Back