Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jun 15, 2021 at 2:30 PM Post #78,362 of 148,575
I'm the kind of guy who will, apropos of nothing, just start sitting around and thinking about the philosophy of audio. So I was doing that, and I got to thinking about something about this subjectivist/objectivist divide that seems unclear to me: isn't subjectivism anathema to the concept of "fidelity"--i.e., accurate reproduction of source material?

I mean, that's not necessarily bad, at least from my perspective. I listen to music for my own enjoyment, and I owe nothing to the estate of Miles Davis, or to Yo Yo Ma, or to any record company.

But a lot of people in this game take the notion of fidelity more seriously than I do, and so I'm wondering whether they all adopt the objectivist position, or whether some maintain that they are subjectivists who are being faithful in a different way than just preferring the gear that makes the output match the input the closest?
The "notion of fidelity" is critical to a designer. Users like to think it is to them, too, even though many of them do not really know what it sounds like they just think they do. "Sounding good," and more importantly "enjoyment" is much more critical to a music lover. Obsessing about measurements and specs and angels on pin heads or "the artist's intent" is a form of mental masturbation and has nothing to do with the actual purpose of audio equipment. Enjoy the music.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2021 at 2:48 PM Post #78,363 of 148,575
I'm holding out for a black Freya S. Crossing fingers it happens soon.
Oh, WHEN* they do come back for a short run to use the metal...this will be me

giphy.gif

*note the use of when, and not if--not claiming knowledge, just a deep and abiding faith that it WILL happen

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2021 at 7:28 PM Post #78,368 of 148,575
Jun 15, 2021 at 7:35 PM Post #78,369 of 148,575
^^ What he said...

Jun 15, 2021 at 9:13 PM Post #78,371 of 148,575
This one is for you Pietro

*SNIF*...*SNIF*...*SNIF*... Beautiful, happy, music! People that could sing! I absolutely loathe what passes for popular "music" these days. I was a bouncer in the 70s and never once did I want to beat someone up because of the sound emanating from the humongous speaker suspended above me at the door. Not even "Play That Funky Music Caucasian Youth" did anything but make me smile and tap my foot.

That video was a Buddha-send! Thank you so very much!

Jun 15, 2021 at 10:37 PM Post #78,375 of 148,575

Users who are viewing this thread

Back