Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jun 14, 2021 at 1:53 PM Post #78,301 of 149,152
My Hel 2 arrived Saturday and I quickly put in my system to replace the Fulla 2 I have been using for a couple years. Overall, I was quite impressed. It definitely made my Audio Technica ATH-M70x headphones come to life in a way I did not know they could. These are not headphones known for their bass, but it was more prominent, and the details of everything else were clearer as well. Some of this could be due to the Hel 2 having so much more power, and I admit I only ever used the Fulla 2 with it being powered by the laptop. Not sure if using a different power source would have helped or not.

Since there is a gain switch, I decided to test out my Sennheiser HD600s and found that they sounded good as well. I think I prefer the Valhalla 2 still, but it is nice to know that I have a more portable option should I want one.

As for the mic, I had to fiddle a bit with it. I do think the quality is better than using the mic in of my laptop, but I also feel that Windows runs the analog mic in input through some sort of filter. My laptop has a fan that can be loud but is useful when playing certain games. I had the fans turn on max and when using the mic in, there was no fan noise. When using the Hel 2, the fans were audible through the mic. This could be because the Hel 2 allows for that much sensitivity and details or that Windows did not touch that signal. Either ways, I managed to get it to a good setting.

Oh, the mic I am using is an Audio Technica ATGM2 that attaches to the side of headphones to make them work like headsets. I feel I should have moved the mic forward more, but I do not feel like redoing it. Also, it is only going to be attached to the Audio Technical headphones since they are closed back. I do not feel like attaching it to my Sennheisers.

Jun 14, 2021 at 2:06 PM Post #78,302 of 149,152
So last Tuesday about noon, I check the "Current Deals" at the Schiit. They have a Black SYS on close out. I have a silver SYS, but really wanted a black SYS. So of course, I ordered it.

Fast forward to Saturday and the Schiit arrived, but the box is for a Silver Schiit SYS...ugh. I put off opening until today.

I opened the box and was greeted with a black unit -- OK so far so good. I lift the bagged SYS out of the box. Except it isn't a black SYS, it is a black Modi 2 Uber...without a power supply.

Emailed orders@schiit.com, but on the "Current Deals" page it says all sales are final. Surely they'll take this back since it isn't complete (no PS) and it is not what I ordered

Jun 14, 2021 at 2:13 PM Post #78,303 of 149,152
So last Tuesday about noon, I check the "Current Deals" at the Schiit. They have a Black SYS on close out. I have a silver SYS, but really wanted a black SYS. So of course, I ordered it.

Fast forward to Saturday and the Schiit arrived, but the box is for a Silver Schiit SYS...ugh. I put off opening until today.

I opened the box and was greeted with a black unit -- OK so far so good. I lift the bagged SYS out of the box. Except it isn't a black SYS, it is a black Modi 2 Uber...without a power supply.

Emailed orders@schiit.com, but on the "Current Deals" page it says all sales are final. Surely they'll take this back since it isn't complete (no PS) and it is not what I ordered
What is a Modi 2 Uber? The Modi 3's cost a lot more than a Sys...

Jun 14, 2021 at 2:25 PM Post #78,304 of 149,152
What is a Modi 2 Uber?
An older model Modi DAC that has USB, Fiber, Coax

I have 3 new "Modi 3+" a Modi 2 Uber without a power supply is useless to me.

They are apparently swamped

Jun 14, 2021 at 3:34 PM Post #78,306 of 149,152
An older model Modi DAC that has USB, Fiber, Coax

I have 3 new "Modi 3+" a Modi 2 Uber without a power supply is useless to me.

They are apparently swamped

Bummer that happened to you... I do think that these are the kinds of stories where people should contact schiit first and see how they respond before posting on here.

Then after Schiit either takes care of your issue, or doesn't, you can tell the story.

I cant imagine they will send you a black sys, but they will likely refund your money and send a return label.

B stock can be something of a crapshoot (I know from personal experience) but most people will agree that schiit will make it right in the end.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2021 at 3:39 PM Post #78,307 of 149,152
Bummer that happened to you... I do think that these are the kinds of stories where people should contact schiit first and see how they respond before posting on here.
Always. In fact there is no point of posting customer service issues on this forum. Just contact the company using the appropriate means, and this forum is not one of those.

Jun 14, 2021 at 3:40 PM Post #78,308 of 149,152

Bummer! I'm sure they will take a return on it, as you said, its not the item you ordered!

I've never seen black-finish SYS listed for sale, but have always wondered why it isn't offered. I actually spray painted a older steel/grey SYS black to match some other black Schiit components in my dining room/kitchen system!

Jun 14, 2021 at 3:57 PM Post #78,309 of 149,152

They will exchange it. Had a similar issue last year. Bought a B-stock Modi MB but got a Modi 2 Uber (a bit more understandable because they actually look identical on the outside). Contacted Schiit and promptly got a return label. Soon as I dropped off the Modi 2 Uber at Fedex, I was sent the Modi MB.

Edit: Well, in your case with a black SYS being a very rare specimen, they might not be able to find a black SYS to send you so I assume a refund/silver SYS is more likely. Sounds like this was plain old human error in mislabeling the box.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2021 at 5:10 PM Post #78,311 of 149,152
Oh, I forgot to post yesterday: I finally had clear skies and spent a bit more than four hours with my eye to an eye piece and my ears turned toward my speakers, now being powered by a Loki-enabled mini-stack. While I left three of the knobs TDC, I did find the bass knob was able to add a welcome bit of weight and warmth to the sound, especially at the subdued sound level I was using (not wanting to be a bad neighbor). Kind of like the "bass EQ" button NAD used to provide.

I used JL Audio for this application, and I like the tweeters they make. However, the speakers I chose are pretty mid-fi, so I will absolutely experiment with at least the middle two knobs to see what boosts and cuts do for the midrange overall. I may even bypass it to see if it's transparent in bypass mode. I already have expectation bias, I expect I won't care, so the test may be difficult and the result suspect.

Jun 14, 2021 at 5:13 PM Post #78,312 of 149,152
I already have expectation bias, I expect I won't care, so the test may be difficult and the result suspect.
Given the source, it would be suspect anyway! :D

Jun 14, 2021 at 5:48 PM Post #78,313 of 149,152
Bardstown is very nice, too bad the trip is for a funeral. The entire bourbon trail is a great adventure, small towns with history and a relaxing drive thru the countryside. The bourbon is plentiful and inexpensive (except for the Pappy van Winkle.
I have a buddy from Headfi who goes down to buy bourbons and his knowledge greatly exceeds my own. I loaned him a bunch of matched 6SN7's so he gifted me a wonderful bottle of bourbon. I have a preference for scotch but I am open to suggestions. :ksc75smile: I just got back and it was over 90 degrees at the grave site so a cold ale was more welcoming to me when I got home. While part of my college days were spent in the Louisville area, a lot has changed since then.

Jun 14, 2021 at 5:54 PM Post #78,314 of 149,152
I have a buddy from Headfi who goes down to buy bourbons and his knowledge greatly exceeds my own. I loaned him a bunch of matched 6SN7's so he gifted me a wonderful bottle of bourbon. I have a preference for scotch but I am open to suggestions. :ksc75smile: I just got back and it was over 90 degrees at the grave site so a cold ale was more welcoming to me when I got home. While part of my college days were spent in the Louisville area, a lot has changed since then.
Plus, now you have to pay a toll to drive over the Ohio river!

Jun 14, 2021 at 6:08 PM Post #78,315 of 149,152
Plus, now you have to pay a toll to drive over the Ohio river!
Lol we have a transponder that handles that, we got used to them in the DC area visiting my son.😀

Users who are viewing this thread

Back