Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jun 13, 2021 at 12:21 PM Post #78,244 of 148,976
I understand that bcowen has a well stocked refrigerator in the penalty box, and might even open it.
I am still waiting for a sample bottle of BBQ sauce from Bill's neck of the woods, over here we have um limestone, and corn and maybe a tree now and then. No such luxuries exist here. :)

Jun 13, 2021 at 1:01 PM Post #78,245 of 148,976
Mathematics is a science and it deals with, among other things, amounts. Galton was educated at Cambridge, Trinity, and Kings College so I hope he is not included with con men.😎 A gentleman helping with our testing started at Oxford, then Waterloo in Canada, then his PHD locally.
I did not mean to suggest that science (or even mathematics) is a con, rather the opposite. Scientists tend to be naive in the ways of con men and fall victim just as much as non-scientists.

Magicians, otoh, enjoy the con.

Jun 13, 2021 at 1:16 PM Post #78,246 of 148,976
Hey all, it's been a while since I've posted as I've been a bit busy lately. I got a tickle out of Steve Guttenberg's Part 1 of the over 30 hifi systems. I didn't expect it but he picked my system as one of them to show! I'm at timestamp 12:40 and he rattled-off all the Schiit gear I've acquired so far...Cheers, Steve

Jun 13, 2021 at 1:23 PM Post #78,247 of 148,976
I did not mean to suggest that science (or even mathematics) is a con, rather the opposite. Scientists tend to be naive in the ways of con men and fall victim just as much as non-scientists.

Magicians, otoh, enjoy the con.
NP at all. If you want to read a fun book about one of the greatest con men of all time, read a book about Titanic Thompson by Kevin Cook. As I recall the man could not read or write but won millions with his ability to prey upon other people.

Jun 13, 2021 at 1:28 PM Post #78,248 of 148,976
Will you provide single malt refreshment to wash down the BBQ?
I had planned to send that bottle to @Paladin79 , but if you're going to join me I'll save it to split between us. :smile:

Jun 13, 2021 at 1:31 PM Post #78,249 of 148,976
I had planned to send that bottle to @Paladin79 , but if you're going to join me I'll save it to split between us. :smile:
Jerk!!!! :ksc75smile:

It would be wasted on these sandwiches anyway, sigh.

1623605453330.png

Jun 13, 2021 at 1:31 PM Post #78,250 of 148,976
I am still waiting for a sample bottle of BBQ sauce from Bill's neck of the woods, over here we have um limestone, and corn and maybe a tree now and then. No such luxuries exist here. :)
You need some tiger maple shelves in your 'fridge. That will help the flavor of all three. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Jun 13, 2021 at 1:32 PM Post #78,251 of 148,976
Jun 13, 2021 at 3:42 PM Post #78,254 of 148,976
I am thinking more about blind tests. I think the whole issue of "can they detect a difference at all" is a canard and should be ignored. If I have fifty machinists drilling holes and I want to know the quality of two competing brands of drill bits I would never ask the machinists, "You just drilled a hole, tell me which brand you used?" I just want to know if the holes are made correctly and tie the quality to the drill bits that were used. My alternative music idea is to let a person listen to their favorite music, as long as they like. When they are finished they can go have a beer, then leave. No beer while they listen. Let each subject do this 10 or 20 times (on different days). Time them. So (blind to them) they were listening to cable A fifty percent of the time and cable B the other fifty percent of the time. I do not bother them about identifying cables. I time their music listening. My theory is that when they like the music better they would stay longer. If they like it worse they would leave for the beer sooner. Use that data. I do not care if they can identify the cables, if they stay significantly longer with one type of cable they were enjoying the music more.

Jun 13, 2021 at 4:51 PM Post #78,255 of 148,976
I am thinking more about blind tests. I think the whole issue of "can they detect a difference at all" is a canard and should be ignored. If I have fifty machinists drilling holes and I want to know the quality of two competing brands of drill bits I would never ask the machinists, "You just drilled a hole, tell me which brand you used?" I just want to know if the holes are made correctly and tie the quality to the drill bits that were used. My alternative music idea is to let a person listen to their favorite music, as long as they like. When they are finished they can go have a beer, then leave. No beer while they listen. Let each subject do this 10 or 20 times (on different days). Time them. So (blind to them) they were listening to cable A fifty percent of the time and cable B the other fifty percent of the time. I do not bother them about identifying cables. I time their music listening. My theory is that when they like the music better they would stay longer. If they like it worse they would leave for the beer sooner. Use that data. I do not care if they can identify the cables, if they stay significantly longer with one type of cable they were enjoying the music more.
Be happy and enjoy the beer. 😁

At the end of our tube trial, one person will receive what are considered the top five tubes, another the next five etc. Drinks will be served after all tabulations are done and a party will ensue. ( this is a great chance for older folks to mingle with a younger crowd and enjoy a shared topic.)

This is not for everyone but we enjoy it and maybe learn a few things along the way.

Curiosity spurs me to do such things while others might be happy pondering certain situations. If I can convince friends it might be fun or they convince me, game on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back