Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jun 10, 2021 at 8:26 PM Post #78,076 of 149,151
Apparently auto correct needs spelling/ grammar Nazis?

I will chime in briefly on that topic: I try to keep my inner grammar Nazi in check, but I am dismayed by how poor grammar is becoming in general. Reading stuff on the internet is particularly depressing. I also find errors in printed books and magazines, though. We used to be better than this. There are lots of reasons, but many of them are political, so I will stay off my soap box. I also understand many errors can be attributed to:
  1. non-native speakers of English (I really appreciate your using English, I'd be embarrassed to attempt your language, whatever it is)
  2. auto-correct for spelling
  3. typing on a phone for spelling and using the wrong punctuation
So now I try to check avatars for posters' locations and remember that some people have fingers as fat as mine and can't find the right letters on their phones.
"Remember that you are a human being with a soul and the divine gift of articulate speech: that your native language is the language of Shakespeare and Milton and The Bible; and don't sit there crooning like a bilious pigeon." - Professor Henry Higgins

This past week I watched both "Pygmalion" and "My Fair Lady". Your thoughts made me think of one of my favorite lines in the films. Well stated sir!
And lest any here think or feel otherwise, know that I do not think myself a wordsmith in the least. Lord knows I make enough mistakes just writing out a shopping list!

Jun 10, 2021 at 8:27 PM Post #78,077 of 149,151
The detection of changes of sound in itself are not quantifiable.
The concept of "just noticeable difference" (JND) in psychophysics was extensively used at Bell Labs for psychoacoustic experiments on speech and music quality measurement. Those results are robustly replicable and are the foundation of all audio coding in use today.

Jun 10, 2021 at 9:46 PM Post #78,078 of 149,151
I'm a cable denier (excluding really cheap nasty dime store cables)

1E454122-6DD5-4AA7-9D31-C25900BB1EB6.jpeg

Jun 10, 2021 at 10:20 PM Post #78,079 of 149,151
I got notification that my Vidar shipped today. Have to admit, they hit the 4 weeks. Can’t wait. Enjoy your Freya/Vidal/Bifrost setup. I’ll be running Saga S, Modius and Vidar. For now at least.

Jun 10, 2021 at 10:23 PM Post #78,080 of 149,151
I got notification that my Vidar shipped today. Have to admit, they hit the 4 weeks. Can’t wait. Enjoy your Freya/Vidal/Bifrost setup. I’ll be running Saga S, Modius and Vidar. For now at least.
welcome to head-fi!!! (sorry for your wallet) congrats on your Schiit pile.

Jun 10, 2021 at 10:41 PM Post #78,081 of 149,151
I was running the same setup except it was a Saga+ but then I had a problem with my Saga and switched in my Lyr 3 using the pre-outs and it is way better than the Saga. Like a LOT better. That will probably cost me because next up is most likely the Freya+ to replace the Saga and my Lyr can go back to being a headphone amp.

Jun 10, 2021 at 11:08 PM Post #78,082 of 149,151
The concept of "just noticeable difference" (JND) in psychophysics was extensively used at Bell Labs for psychoacoustic experiments on speech and music quality measurement. Those results are robustly replicable and are the foundation of all audio coding in use today.
Indeed but it never delivered a viable scientific paper.

Jun 10, 2021 at 11:10 PM Post #78,083 of 149,151
I was running the same setup except it was a Saga+ but then I had a problem with my Saga and switched in my Lyr 3 using the pre-outs and it is way better than the Saga. Like a LOT better. That will probably cost me because next up is most likely the Freya+ to replace the Saga and my Lyr can go back to being a headphone amp.
Maybe you just have a better tube in the Lyr.

Jun 10, 2021 at 11:23 PM Post #78,084 of 149,151

some options:
1) get the Saga fixed, and try a different tube (IIRC Saga was hybrid tube/solid-state buffer, gain = 1 = 0dB, so might be less tubey-sounding than Lyr3 which has tube gain)
2) get another Lyr3 to use as a pre-amp
3) Freya+ (but that takes 4 tubes, so more expensive to acquire and to maintain)

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2021 at 11:35 PM Post #78,085 of 149,151
Indeed but it never delivered a viable scientific paper.
No idea what you are talking about. I know some of the key speech scientists from that period, and they certainly published in JASA and other equally selective venues. They ran experiments that have been replicated many times since.

Jun 11, 2021 at 12:20 AM Post #78,086 of 149,151
some options:
1) get the Saga fixed, and try a different tube (IIRC Saga was hybrid tube/solid-state buffer, gain = 1 = 0dB, so might be less tubey-sounding than Lyr3 which has tube gain)
2) get another Lyr3 to use as a pre-amp
3) Freya+ (but that takes 4 tubes, so more expensive to acquire and to maintain)
I did get the Saga fixed and still prefer the Lyr although it has a Psvane tube in it and the Saga doesn't. However, I would really like to go balanced and I really like the tube sound so Freya+ is my only real choice at this time. I would love to see a 2 tube Schiit balanced preamp but no luck so far.

Jun 11, 2021 at 2:13 AM Post #78,087 of 149,151
Welcome abroad!

Speaking about Vidar, one Vidar that is "B-Stock, Silver, 230V" is being sold right now in Schiit's website

Good luck to those wanting this!

Jun 11, 2021 at 4:05 AM Post #78,088 of 149,151
"Remember that you are a human being with a soul and the divine gift of articulate speech: that your native language is the language of Shakespeare and Milton and The Bible; and don't sit there crooning like a bilious pigeon." - Professor Henry Higgins

This past week I watched both "Pygmalion" and "My Fair Lady". Your thoughts made me think of one of my favorite lines in the films. Well stated sir!
And lest any here think or feel otherwise, know that I do not think myself a wordsmith in the least. Lord knows I make enough mistakes just writing out a shopping list!

2 out of 3 correct for Professor Higgins. The Bible was eventually translated into English and most other languages. But the written sources (coming after periods of oral transmission) are Hebrew and Greek.

Jun 11, 2021 at 7:48 AM Post #78,090 of 149,151
Timestamp ~12:03 on @Baldr 's and @Jason Stoddard 's video. What in sam-hell are you lifting there. A Tyr?! Alright, now THAT'S more like it (overkill). Nice!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back