Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jun 8, 2021 at 8:44 PM Post #77,971 of 148,516
Jun 8, 2021 at 8:47 PM Post #77,972 of 148,516
I'll bring Tyr. Still green board prototype, but red board production is here...at least you can see why this is totally, totally insane.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jun 8, 2021 at 8:52 PM Post #77,975 of 148,516
What? "mQa" doesn't sit right with you?
"The albums playback as mQa on a DAC in my system that is a full mQa decoder."
"I set a baseline by playing my own local copy of the albums and make sure the HDCD indicator illuminates."
"Apple Music's lossless audio that I tested was 16 bit / 44.1 kHa"
" I connected the newest version of the Apple Camera Connection Kit to the iPhone, so I could attach a USB Audi interface"
"How did I find the same (sample) rate? Fortunately, the Apple Music app on iOS has auto sample rate switching, which enabled me to get the rate, then sixth (switch) back to my Mac to run the tests."

I agree that the article seems like it was published without even a cursory edit. Poor grammar notwithstanding, I'd prefer a more scientific approach than "the indicator didn't light up."

Having said that, the author conceptually agrees with several other online authors who have discovered that Apple's foray into lossless/HD music is, at best, half-baked.

I'm a Mac user but not an Apple Music user and nothing I've read makes me want to go back to iTunes/Music/Apple Music.

Now, what the heck does "his lugoles" mean?

edit: I get that nobody likes a grammar nazi, but the referenced article was pretty egregious for an established author.

Nobody like me anymore, sniff, sniff. :frowning2:

Lug holes (as in my dad's favororite saying, "If you don't behave you'll get a clip on the lug hole". Ears. Ears.

Cheers

Jun 8, 2021 at 8:53 PM Post #77,976 of 148,516
I'll bring Tyr. Still green board prototype, but red board production is here...at least you can see why this is totally, totally insane.
Okay...So you are bringing an ancient Germanic God of War or something related to audio? I am betting 'tis the latter of those two! Does it possess VU Meters and a power switch up front so I do not have to do the "Schiit Reacharound"? :beerchug:

Jun 8, 2021 at 9:08 PM Post #77,979 of 148,516
Not sure if it's DietPi, or my older Hifiberry Digi Pro HAT, but my PC connected via USB -> Unison BF2 is notably better than my RPi to BF2 via coax S/PDIF. Unison sounds more open and airy with a clearer top-end and wider soundstage. Makes S/PDIF sound a bit congested and muddy. I guess Mike wasn't BS'ing about the virtues of Unison. I'll try piCorePlayer this weekend and see if there's a diff.

I suspect I'll end up with a Pi 4 and USB connection to BF2/Unison. The Pi 3B+ and S/PDIF HAT is just for fun and education at this point.
OK. I couldn't wait until the weekend to try piCorePlayer. Flashed an extra microSD card and got piCorePlayer all setup for Wifi and as a Squeezebox player. Set Roon for Squeezebox support and gave it a whirl. RPi 3B+ with Digi Pro HAT and piCorePlayer certainly closes the gap between S/PDIF coax out and my PC via USB to BF2, but the winner is still Unison. piCorePlayer is a bit better sounding than DietPi, IMHO, but Unison USB from my PC remains the champ!!!

I'm not gonna mess around with different HATS, etc., I'm just gonna go with a Pi4 w/ piCorePlayer and USB out to BF2 for the main 2 channel and HP rig. I'll keep using the PC USB out to BF2 on my work from home rig and move the Pi3B+ and Digi Pro HAT for use on the patio with powered speakers/DAC combo. Well worth the experimentation.

Next -- An Intel NUC and ROCK to replace my current Roon server. :D

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2021 at 9:16 PM Post #77,980 of 148,516
Not sure if it's DietPi, or my older Hifiberry Digi Pro HAT, but my PC connected via USB -> Unison BF2 is notably better than my RPi to BF2 via coax S/PDIF. Unison sounds more open and airy with a clearer top-end and wider soundstage. Makes S/PDIF sound a bit congested and muddy. I guess Mike wasn't BS'ing about the virtues of Unison.
S/PDIF (coax or AES3) depends a lot more on the quality of the source, both clock and other electrical characteristics.

Jun 8, 2021 at 9:34 PM Post #77,982 of 148,516
S/PDIF (coax or AES3) depends a lot more on the quality of the source, both clock and other electrical characteristics.
Hmmmm. I have a Schiit EITR in my closet. I wonder if Pi3 B+ USB out to EITR and then EITR S/PDIF coax to BF2 might further narrow the gap on my work from home station. :thinking:

Jun 8, 2021 at 9:40 PM Post #77,983 of 148,516
Hmmmm. I have a Schiit EITR in my closet. I wonder if Pi3 B+ USB out to EITR and then EITR S/PDIF coax to BF2 might further narrow the gap on my work from home station. :thinking:

So you are going to use Gen 5 USB just to use Coax, when Bifrost 2 essentially does the same thing for you? With Unison to boot. Thats Texas BBQ brain for you. 😏

Jun 8, 2021 at 9:44 PM Post #77,984 of 148,516
So you are going to use Gen 5 USB just to use Coax, when Bifrost 2 essentially does the same thing for you? With Unison to boot. Thats Texas BBQ brain for you. 😏
I never got around to hooking my Eitr up to my Bifrost 2 just to test out the S/PDIF.

Jun 8, 2021 at 9:47 PM Post #77,985 of 148,516

I listened to USB out on the Pi 3B+ and it was not as good as S/PDIF out from RPi. I have my reasons for trying this -- my PC will be relocated and I do not want to run a 15' USB cable to BF2 on my work station. I can place a Pi device next to my DAC and stream via Wifi. Plus it's fun to try new things and experiment. You should lay off the SPAM and try it sometime, sir. :smirk:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back