Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jun 7, 2021 at 1:39 PM Post #77,897 of 149,175
The last time I was in East Van., I was working on East Hastings. Woof. You know it's bad when you step OVER the addicts. Campbell River was known for its Coke. East Hastings, heroin. Still, I miss Vancouver's Szechuan cuisine. I wonder if Tang's Noodle House on Macdonald Street & Broadway, by the Pink Palace (Safeway) can recover from the closures? Sigh....

Anyway, it's taken me a while discover Time Out...
Brubeck_time-out-1of5.jpg. Apparently, this was recorded in 1959... 11 years before I was born. Dang! Re: Blue Rondo A La Turk... THAT snare drum in my left headphone. Nice! :)
The song Take Five was written to showcase the drum set as a solo instrument.

Jun 7, 2021 at 1:49 PM Post #77,899 of 149,175
I've gotta ask—what is a HAT?

(In before some smartass says it's a piece of head wear :p)
Hardware Attached on Top
It is a hardware specification for add-on modules for the Raspberry Pi.
No soldering, just plug it onto the Raspberry Pi 40-pin header
Robust mechanical design with 4 board mounting holes.
Auto-configuration with an EEPROM module on the board, the add-on board identifies itself.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2021 at 2:02 PM Post #77,900 of 149,175
I've gotta ask—what is a HAT?

(In before some smartass says it's a piece of head wear :p)
It basically refers to a hardware add-on that sits on top of your Raspberry Pi

Jun 7, 2021 at 2:12 PM Post #77,901 of 149,175
Hardware Attached on Top
It is a hardware specification for add-on modules for the Raspberry Pi.
No soldering, just plug it onto the Raspberry Pi 8-pin header
Robust mechanical design with 4 board mounting holes.
Auto-configuration with an EEPROM module on the board, the add-on board identifies itself.
Make that a 40 pin header (on most modern Pis).

Jun 7, 2021 at 2:29 PM Post #77,904 of 149,175
Virtual SchiitrMeet June
Jason & Mike—Back Together!

Hey guys,

Since we're now getting back to more sane times—which, by the way, means that soon we'll be able to have real Schiitrmeets again, and do some new blind listening—Mike and I thought it would be good to do the duo thing while I'm back here in California for a while. So, you'll have us both live from the Schiitr, and you can ask us anything that strikes your fancy.

What to ask? Backorders are always popular, but we are starting to make progress. Mike's prototypes are starting to ship, and I know he has grand plans for the future. I've been spending a lot of time in basic research, trying to solve some intractable problems with new ideas (that may or may not end up as products). But feel free to ask us anything, from how Mike and I met to products we worked on before Schiit to how we work together today. Have at it!

With respect to the actual in-person Schiitrmeets, I don't have any details or a schedule right now, but I can say I'm looking forward to it. I'm also looking forward to actually going back to shows. I know we're scheduled to be at RMAF in November, and I hope to see some of you there.

Please note this is Pacific Time again, I'm back in Cali.

Virtual SchiitrMeet June
Wednesday, June 9, 4PM PST

Questions? Send them to denise@schiit.com

Please join us on Facebook or YouTube:

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZqCWt2_qqB-UD0-pcPpxCw
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/

All the best,
Jason

I just cannot wait for a day when I wake up, go to Schiit's website, and see that every single product is available to ship in 1-3 days. It's been a year and a half since I ordered anything from Schiit here in Canada. Our exchange rate has been fluctuating, and I feel anxious to place an order for anything pricy and then see if CDN $ goes up or down while I am waiting for it.

@Jason Stoddard and @Baldr, I am not going to be asking any questions about backorders as you have made it clear multiple times that it is out of your control and you are doing your best. I would appreciate it if you could tackle the following question either during the stream or here: Has COVID impacted your defective return rates and posed challenges to your quality control procedures? If yes, how have you addressed these issues? The reason that I am asking is that many manufacturers have had to resort to using alternative parts or old stock parts for their products due to various shortages which may have unexpected consequences on their performance. It would be very reassuring for me and others to hear how you have dealt with these challenges.

Jun 7, 2021 at 3:25 PM Post #77,907 of 149,175
Young whippersnappers such as yourself are too young to remember this, but devices called "record changers" were common in households from the late 50s through the early 70s, until a belief that single-play devices caused less wear&tear killed off the changers.

Your "playlist" of 2 to 6 albums would automagically play from start to finish at the push of a button, and then automagically stop. (Usually.) No remote necessary.

A few enterprising users could play both sides of an album consecutively by the cunning trick of merely buying two copies of the disk. Or, for a party, borrowing another copy from a friend.

For more commercial versions, see: Wurlitzer Jukebox.

For more info, history books, Google, and wikipedia are your friends.

HTH, says the old geezer. :)
Ever wonder why some of those multi-record sets were like this:
Record A: Side 1 / Side 3
Record B: Side 2 / Side 4
Record C: Side 3 / Side 6

See above...

Jun 7, 2021 at 3:26 PM Post #77,908 of 149,175
Can we get Mike and Jason to fight over the best kind of regional BBQ?:L3000:

What's the Delta Sigma of BBQ? Jason demands more Delta Sigma BBQ in the lineup, but Mike is more of a multi-spice dry rub kinda dude....
@Jason Stoddard has already declined.

Jun 7, 2021 at 3:28 PM Post #77,909 of 149,175
My brother bought what he called his 'CD Juke Box' about 12 years ago.
He could load about 25 CDs into it and simply select one to play.
This was long before streaming became popular.
The 'jukebox' worked well for a couple of years... and then it died :beyersmile:
Either Sony or Yamaha (maybe both) used to offer 100-CD changers... The "magazine" looked like the drum from a Tommy gun. It wasn't removable.

Jun 7, 2021 at 3:31 PM Post #77,910 of 149,175
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back