Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jun 7, 2021 at 12:21 AM Post #77,881 of 149,154
So like the CD players that let you load 6 or so disks into the player so you didn't have to swap discs.
Sort of. I once owned a Garrard changer like this one

1623039692145.jpeg

Jun 7, 2021 at 2:01 AM Post #77,882 of 149,154
So like the CD players that let you load 6 or so disks into the player so you didn't have to swap discs.
a cd player with magazin would be nice with my hel 2. are there any compact players with optical and magazin?

Jun 7, 2021 at 2:32 AM Post #77,883 of 149,154
Question:

Would a Pi or Andover or other in expensive streamer sound better than my Chromecast audio (via optical) on the system below?

Living room system:

• JBL L40's (1978)
  • Onkyo TXSR606 (2015)
  • Project Primary Turntable with Project box out board preamp
I changed from a Chromecast Audio to a Pi4 with a Hifiberry Digi+ Pro hat just after Christmas and I noticed a bit more clarity in the sound but to be honest the biggest improvement was in usability. The main improvements were:
  • Gapless playback (the benefits of this cannot be overstated!)
  • No random drop outs.
  • No problems connecting through Spotify.
  • The ability to stream using pretty much any method you want.

Jun 7, 2021 at 4:59 AM Post #77,884 of 149,154
My brother bought what he called his 'CD Juke Box' about 12 years ago.
He could load about 25 CDs into it and simply select one to play.
This was long before streaming became popular.
The 'jukebox' worked well for a couple of years... and then it died :beyersmile:

Jun 7, 2021 at 6:56 AM Post #77,886 of 149,154
Once I dumped my elderly Lenovo T400 laptop and switched to a Chromebook, with a better radio circuit... I got rid of those dropouts. My 2 cents...
Hi!
What software are u using with chromebook?

Jun 7, 2021 at 10:31 AM Post #77,887 of 149,154
Virtual SchiitrMeet June
Jason & Mike—Back Together!

Hey guys,

Since we're now getting back to more sane times—which, by the way, means that soon we'll be able to have real Schiitrmeets again, and do some new blind listening—Mike and I thought it would be good to do the duo thing while I'm back here in California for a while. So, you'll have us both live from the Schiitr, and you can ask us anything that strikes your fancy.

What to ask? Backorders are always popular, but we are starting to make progress. Mike's prototypes are starting to ship, and I know he has grand plans for the future. I've been spending a lot of time in basic research, trying to solve some intractable problems with new ideas (that may or may not end up as products). But feel free to ask us anything, from how Mike and I met to products we worked on before Schiit to how we work together today. Have at it!

With respect to the actual in-person Schiitrmeets, I don't have any details or a schedule right now, but I can say I'm looking forward to it. I'm also looking forward to actually going back to shows. I know we're scheduled to be at RMAF in November, and I hope to see some of you there.

Please note this is Pacific Time again, I'm back in Cali.

Virtual SchiitrMeet June
Wednesday, June 9, 4PM PST

Questions? Send them to denise@schiit.com

Please join us on Facebook or YouTube:

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZqCWt2_qqB-UD0-pcPpxCw
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/

All the best,
Jason

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jun 7, 2021 at 11:08 AM Post #77,889 of 149,154
Jun 7, 2021 at 11:14 AM Post #77,890 of 149,154
Question:

Would a Pi or Andover or other in expensive streamer sound better than my Chromecast audio (via optical) on the system below?

Living room system:

• JBL L40's (1978)
  • Onkyo TXSR606 (2015)
  • Project Primary Turntable with Project box out board preamp

Source(s)?

Sounds like you're using the DAC in your receiver, in which case you may not notice a whole lotta critical difference between your CCA and a streamer.

You could put together a pretty inexpensive streamer using a Pi4 if you can use USB output, or go a bit more expensive by getting a HAT to enable S/PDIF output, and potentially get better sound, depending on your source(s). What you lose is the seamless integration between the CCA and your control ecosystem, e.g., mobile apps, Google Assistant, etc. Whether the tradeoff is worth it has to be your call.

IMHO, you'd be better off prioritizing your resources towards a better DAC if you want to improve your music reproduction. Every Onkyo DAC I've owned/heard has an etched, hard sound, and you'd probably find that something like a Modi Multibit will give you better musicality and still integrate with everything you're using right now, including your CCA. Then you could replace it with a streamer if that makes sense, or add a streamer and still use the CCA. It all depends on your source(s) and what needs to be integrated.

Hope this helps!

Jun 7, 2021 at 11:30 AM Post #77,891 of 149,154
One of these days, I'm gonna end up on the West Coast, and this will be one of my first stops. >_<

Maybe if you open an east coast, Florida branch...

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2021 at 11:33 AM Post #77,892 of 149,154
One of these days, I'm gonna end up on the West Coast, and this will be one of my first stops. >_<

Maybe if you open an east coast, Florida branch...

I'm open to having something in Florida!

(Disclaimer: would have to figure out logistics...I am not that person though.)

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jun 7, 2021 at 11:46 AM Post #77,893 of 149,154
I'm open to having something in Florida!

(Disclaimer: would have to figure out logistics...I am not that person though.)

I’m thinking us Canadians could use one here too :)

Jun 7, 2021 at 11:48 AM Post #77,894 of 149,154
The last time I was in East Van., I was working on East Hastings. Woof. You know it's bad when you step OVER the addicts. Campbell River was known for its Coke. East Hastings, heroin. Still, I miss Vancouver's Szechuan cuisine. I wonder if Tang's Noodle House on Macdonald Street & Broadway, by the Pink Palace (Safeway) can recover from the closures? Sigh....

Anyway, it's taken me a while discover Time Out...
Brubeck_time-out-1of5.jpg. Apparently, this was recorded in 1959... 11 years before I was born. Dang! Re: Blue Rondo A La Turk... THAT snare drum in my left headphone. Nice! :)
Paul Desmond........

Users who are viewing this thread

Back