Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jun 6, 2021 at 7:14 PM Post #77,866 of 149,031
I'd have to get up out of my chair to do that. Doing so would greatly impact my preferred sedentary music listening style. It's so much easier to rip it and/or stream it. :D

** BTW -- Anyone know where I can get a remote controlled LP record jukebox?
"...my preferred sedentary music listening style."

May I borrow this sometime in the future to justify food for Vaal? :ksc75smile:

Jun 6, 2021 at 7:19 PM Post #77,867 of 149,031
I don't have time for games. I'm way too busy with productive stuff like micro-analyzing my music and worrying over highly theoretical and likely inaudible noise scenarios. :rolling_eyes:
...and N/C BBQ... sorry, just trying to be funny....:deadhorse:

Jun 6, 2021 at 8:10 PM Post #77,868 of 149,031
NC BBQ doesn't need to be micro-analyzed. That ship has already sailed and, like a good Texan, @Ripper2860 simply ignores it.

NC pitmasters (lol) also ignore their meat as it declines from "prime" to "choice" to "maybe the dog will eat it" at which point they drench it in vinegar sauce and serve it to their unsuspecting customers.

They don't seem to mind. Life is full of surprises.

Jun 6, 2021 at 8:11 PM Post #77,869 of 149,031
Or Yeast Vancouver.... Vancouver Ale Trail
The last time I was in East Van., I was working on East Hastings. Woof. You know it's bad when you step OVER the addicts. Campbell River was known for its Coke. East Hastings, heroin. Still, I miss Vancouver's Szechuan cuisine. I wonder if Tang's Noodle House on Macdonald Street & Broadway, by the Pink Palace (Safeway) can recover from the closures? Sigh....

Anyway, it's taken me a while discover Time Out...
Brubeck_time-out-1of5.jpg
. Apparently, this was recorded in 1959... 11 years before I was born. Dang! Re: Blue Rondo A La Turk... THAT snare drum in my left headphone. Nice! :)

Jun 6, 2021 at 8:12 PM Post #77,870 of 149,031
NC BBQ doesn't need to be micro-analyzed. That ship has already sailed and, like a good Texan, @Ripper2860 simply ignores it.

NC pitmasters (lol) also ignore their meat as it declines from "prime" to "choice" to "maybe the dog will eat it" at which point they drench it in vinegar sauce and serve it to their unsuspecting customers.

They don't seem to mind. Life is full of surprises.
Lol! 😄

Jun 6, 2021 at 8:13 PM Post #77,871 of 149,031
...and N/C BBQ... sorry, just trying to be funny....:deadhorse:
Meh. Keep your chin up. As long as one follows the golden rule, this is an easygoing thread. My interpetation of the Au rule: don't be a d**k. :ksc75smile:

Jun 6, 2021 at 8:19 PM Post #77,872 of 149,031
I can honestly say that I've not experienced any drop-outs due to my wireless setup. I do have QoS enabled and dedicate the 5GHz band to only audio/video-related component use. 2.4GHz band is dedicated to smartphones, tablets, work/home computers, wireless cameras, etc. My Roon and JRiver music server is wireless only. My Plex video server is wireless only. My TVs' content is streamed via wireless connected Roku and FireTV devices. All use the 5GHz band. I've never had an issue. A classic YMMV scenario.
Once I dumped my elderly Lenovo T400 laptop and switched to a Chromebook, with a better radio circuit... I got rid of those dropouts. My 2 cents...

Jun 6, 2021 at 8:24 PM Post #77,873 of 149,031
I don't have time for games. I'm way too busy with productive stuff like micro-analyzing my music and worrying over highly theoretical and likely inaudible noise scenarios. :rolling_eyes:
Ripper, for some reason, I heard your post through the voice of Lord Humungous. Ayatollah of Rock 'n' Rolla. Games?! No more games!

I'm experiencing a beef brisket meat high right now. Sorry about that.

Jun 6, 2021 at 8:26 PM Post #77,874 of 149,031
The last time I was in East Van., I was working on East Hastings. Woof. You know it's bad when you step OVER the addicts. Campbell River was known for its Coke. East Hastings, heroin. Still, I miss Vancouver's Szechuan cuisine. I wonder if Tang's Noodle House on Macdonald Street & Broadway, by the Pink Palace (Safeway) can recover from the closures? Sigh....

Anyway, it's taken me a while discover Time Out...
Brubeck_time-out-1of5.jpg. Apparently, this was recorded in 1959... 11 years before I was born. Dang! Re: Blue Rondo A La Turk... THAT snare drum in my left headphone. Nice! :)
Don't forget Hon's Wonton House or Red Wagon.

Great album on Vinyl - one of the one's I keep buying in different editions (CD, DVD-A, Vinyl), like I have done with Kind of Blue, Giant Steps, Love Supreme and MIngus Uh-um

Jun 6, 2021 at 10:34 PM Post #77,876 of 149,031
Unless you are gaming, in which case why do you care about the music, a modern PC is NOT ever busy. And the IO bus has more bandwidth than a USB port playing a FLAC will ever use. To think otherwise is fairly medieval.

Jun 6, 2021 at 10:35 PM Post #77,877 of 149,031
Question:

Would a Pi or Andover or other in expensive streamer sound better than my Chromecast audio (via optical) on the system below?

Living room system:

• JBL L40's (1978)
  • Onkyo TXSR606 (2015)
  • Project Primary Turntable with Project box out board preamp

Jun 6, 2021 at 11:08 PM Post #77,878 of 149,031
I'd have to get up out of my chair to do that. Doing so would greatly impact my preferred sedentary music listening style. It's so much easier to rip it and/or stream it. :D

** BTW -- Anyone know where I can get a remote controlled LP record jukebox?

Young whippersnappers such as yourself are too young to remember this, but devices called "record changers" were common in households from the late 50s through the early 70s, until a belief that single-play devices caused less wear&tear killed off the changers.

Your "playlist" of 2 to 6 albums would automagically play from start to finish at the push of a button, and then automagically stop. (Usually.) No remote necessary.

A few enterprising users could play both sides of an album consecutively by the cunning trick of merely buying two copies of the disk. Or, for a party, borrowing another copy from a friend.

For more commercial versions, see: Wurlitzer Jukebox.

For more info, history books, Google, and wikipedia are your friends.

HTH, says the old geezer. :)

Jun 6, 2021 at 11:11 PM Post #77,879 of 149,031
I'm not as young as you may think I am. 😄

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2021 at 11:12 PM Post #77,880 of 149,031
Young whippersnappers such as yourself are too young to remember this, but devices called "record changers" were common in households from the late 50s through the early 70s, until a belief that single-play devices caused less wear&tear killed off the changers.

Your "playlist" of 2 to 6 albums would automagically play from start to finish at the push of a button, and then automagically stop. (Usually.) No remote necessary.

A few enterprising users could play both sides of an album consecutively by the cunning trick of merely buying two copies of the disk. Or, for a party, borrowing another copy from a friend.

For more commercial versions, see: Wurlitzer Jukebox.

For more info, history books, Google, and wikipedia are your friends.

HTH, says the old geezer. :)
So like the CD players that let you load 6 or so disks into the player so you didn't have to swap discs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back