Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jun 6, 2021 at 2:46 PM Post #77,852 of 148,160
It's an interesting video if you care to take the time. From the same fellow that went toe-to-toe with MQA and Tidal. I'm not saying I'm buying it, but the results of his subjective listening and blind tests for the 'audiophile' Ethernet and USB cards is very intriguing.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2021 at 3:15 PM Post #77,853 of 148,160
When you send a file to your printer, does it get corrupted by noise from your PC? Or a photo from your PC to your phone, does it get crapped up with noise from the PC? Why would audio files being sent as network data to another computer (the streamer)? It is the output device - USB S/PDIF - connected to your DAC where digital noise CAN BE problematic for audio. And note I say "can be" not IS. Audiophiles make much more out of "possible problems" than exist in reality.
...aah, but there's money in those misconceptions.

All very good points. I get the same results printing via wired Ethernet or USB.

So you're implying that the JCat and Matrix Element H USB cards and Ethernet cards (and others of their ilk) are snake oil? :smirk:

But have you actually listened to those print-outs? I'll bet the USB prints sound like ass.

Jun 6, 2021 at 3:58 PM Post #77,855 of 148,160
I don't have time for games. I'm way too busy with productive stuff like micro-analyzing my music and worrying over highly theoretical and likely inaudible noise scenarios. :rolling_eyes:

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2021 at 4:16 PM Post #77,856 of 148,160
I don't have time for games. I'm way too busy with productive stuff like micro-analyzing my music and worrying over highly theoretical and likely inaudible noise scenarios. :rolling_eyes:
It's good to see you have your priorities in the right order. :laughing:

Jun 6, 2021 at 4:41 PM Post #77,858 of 148,160
Jun 6, 2021 at 4:41 PM Post #77,859 of 148,160
Using chromecast and iphone + pc and musicbee/USB. I Only buy digital.
Considering to try a cd transport and
cd-r. Streaming is a mess.
(I don’t have any cd collection more,only digital)

any new info about schiits new cd transport?

Jun 6, 2021 at 4:52 PM Post #77,860 of 148,160
A lot of subjective listening reviews by the frAudiophile press prey (pray?) on their readers having at least a touch of the ENC-E. The Emperor's New Clothes - Effect. Decades ago when I first started in this addiction, I was told by salesmen and friends alike, the most important component of one's stereo system is the speakers.

Later the speakers were conjoined with the amplificaiton. I recently upgrade the amp in my Mustang because I had already done so with the speakers and with the addition of mucho headroom POWAH! I was fairly expecting to be lifted to Toadhalla when I returned to pick up the car and listen to Some Sinatra and Basie on my way home.

Nope. It pretty much sounded the same as the unit's built-in amplification. Actually, it did sound the same: Great! At least to my ears. But my journey in to upgrading my Mustang's audio was now complete. I had also done all the speakers in our Ram. And as with the upgrade to the Mustangs speakers there was a definite improvement in the quality reproduction of my music. I wasn't overly disappointed as I suspected that would be the case but it was worth it with my Mustang as I really like that car. I like our Ram too but am stopping at speaker upgrades as there really is no benefit (for ME!) to upgrade the amp. If you want to do something to your system, be it home or car just realize that you do so for YOU. I have zero buyer's remorse with both vehicles audio upgrades. I am pleased with my results and to be honest, not only pleased, but content.

For now. :beerchug: Because this hobby of ours is one of diminishing returns. The investment is in sound quality and as that comes at a dearer and dearer price, the investment seems to be more and more to our ego. I sometimes call my ego, "Vaal" after an episode of the original Star Trek. Sooner or later Vaal hungers.

I am still going to get a new DAC for myself and then a either DAC/Amp combo or just a DAC (he has a Vali!) for my brother. I may do his first as he is a more critical listener than I have ever been but in a good way, not in an anal retentive chef way, LOL! Family first! Unless Vaal really hungers!

Jun 6, 2021 at 5:36 PM Post #77,861 of 148,160
How about a USB printer, though? Does that print out crappy noisy pictures when hooked up to a beefy gaming computer? :wink:
the USB printer might briefly pause printing while waiting for the computer to send out more data, and the overall print will look OK still. Audio, however, requires the correct data plus timely delivery of that data (else stuttering occurs, so the playback device needs to either stop, albeit briefly, or attempt to fill in the missing data). Buffering of the data within the DAC just before the actual conversion to analog can help reduce the effect of source stuttering, but increases latency.

IIRC, Mike (Baldr) has talked about the general quality of various types of digital sources over on his thread. Presumably, they have built a Unison-based receiver (for in-house development use) capable of detecting the delivery quality (e.g. time between data bursts, burst size, etc.) of various sources.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2021 at 5:40 PM Post #77,862 of 148,160
Using chromecast and iphone + pc and musicbee/USB. I Only buy digital.
Considering to try a cd transport and
cd-r. Streaming is a mess.
(I don’t have any cd collection more,only digital)

any new info about schiits new cd transport?
development continues, with Mike (Baldr) indicating on his thread that the beta USB source switcher modules (which are one of many functional blocks needed for the Urd transport) are being sent out (hopefully) next week.

(see post 13783)
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/what-a-long-strange-trip-its-been-robert-hunter.784471/page-919

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2021 at 5:57 PM Post #77,863 of 148,160
When you send a file to your printer, does it get corrupted by noise from your PC? Or a photo from your PC to your phone, does it get crapped up with noise from the PC? Why would audio files being sent as network data to another computer (the streamer)? It is the output device - USB S/PDIF - connected to your DAC where digital noise CAN BE problematic for audio. And note I say "can be" not IS. Audiophiles make much more out of "possible problems" than exist in reality.
No. Buttttttttt, the printer will pause and wait for a time if there is a lot of network traffic.......

Jun 6, 2021 at 6:53 PM Post #77,865 of 148,160
I load a CD and press play. Much simpler. :grinning:
I'd have to get up out of my chair to do that. Doing so would greatly impact my preferred sedentary music listening style. It's so much easier to rip it and/or stream it. :D

** BTW -- Anyone know where I can get a remote controlled LP record jukebox?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back