Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 27, 2021 at 7:32 PM Post #77,432 of 148,518
some real design features & technology to go along with the $$$$ price tag: mfr's page indicates a built-in output tube tester; all triode operation, balanced, fully differential gain stage, and switches to turn off selective banks of output tubes when you don't need 500 Wpc. Each amp (upper section) weighs 80 lbs, regulated power supply weighs 152 lbs!!! Probably needs a dedicated 30A 120VAC circuit (the kind that runs an electric stove or all-electric clothes dryer) for each channel.

That many 6AS7's (42 per channel) wouldn't even put a dent in the stash that @bcowen has. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
I'm pretty sure it would sound better with 42 Western Electric 421A's in each amp. I mean if you have $147k floating around, what's another ~$24k for tubes? Actually, make that ~$48k....always best to have a backup set. :smile: :smile:

May 27, 2021 at 7:33 PM Post #77,433 of 148,518
Potential for 18 GE tubes! How awesome is that Bill? :laughing:
You just made me start looking at Schitt's solid state lineup... :sweat_smile:

May 27, 2021 at 7:53 PM Post #77,434 of 148,518
Yesterday I ordered a Saga 1 b-stock and a new Modious in black...

1. During the ordering process, I had to acknowledge that the shipping time was an estimate and that it may change and that I understand I may have to wait for a few weeks (paraphrasing).
  2. I like that Schiit is doing this so clients understand they have to be patient, which most of us here on the forum understand.
Update:

I received a shipping notice for both early this morning - I know it will take time to reach customs, for me to pay the CDN taxes and to get it at FedEx down the street, but I'm impressed it shipped waaaaaaaaaaaaaay faster than promised.
Only FedEx can disappoint me now.
Actually, that's not quite what the new acknowledgements said. Here's what they actually are--three checkboxes before you complete your order:

( ) I understand the item with the longest backorder sets the ship date for my entire order. Example: if four items are 1-3 days and one is 6-8 weeks, your order ships in 6-8 weeks.
( ) I understand if the shipping date changes on the site after I place my order, that doesn’t apply to me. Example: if the site changes from 5-7 days to 2-4 weeks after you placed your order, you’ll still be shipping in 5-7 days.
( ) I understand that Schiit Audio can no longer change or combine orders, due to the need for warranty traceability. We’re sorry for the inconvenience.

The first one is simply informational--we only ship orders complete, so if you get 4 things with 1-3 day shipping and one with 10-12 weeks, it ships in 10-12 weeks. We just want to make this super clear so people can alter the order so they can get stuff earlier.

The second one is because we get avalanches of emails every time the ship date changes on the site. This doesn't apply to orders already placed. In fact, many of our products are starting to ship sooner than estimates, and speaker amps are getting near 1-3 days, rather than weeks, in many cases. This is just to let everyone know, don't hound us when something goes from 2-4 weeks to 10-12 weeks after you ordered--you get yours in 2-4 weeks, but people ordering now should expect to wait much longer.

The third one is because we get lots of requests to combine or change orders--so if you order a Mani and then you decide you'd rather have a Bifrost, and then change it to a Freya, we used to have to try to manage this through painful manual notes, which made warranty tracing particularly painful. So yes, we'll help you cancel an order so you can place a correct one, but there's no more ad-hoc changes allowed.

Yes, I know, we are terrible people. Yes, awful. And at the same time, I went to buy an awning for our CA house today, and what was the first thing I saw: ALL AWNINGS NOW 4-6 WEEKS DUE TO HIGH DEMAND. We're still waiting for a couch for our Corpus house, ordered in January. We went to get a high-powered computer for Ivana and found that pretty much all options were 3-6 weeks--past the date she was leaving to go home for a while. So we order a refurb, because those are in stock, right? Yes, except they delayed it 2 days, then a week, then another week--this is for a refurb that was, by definition, supposed to be in stock. Want a Camaro now? That's a nope. Plant's shut down. Want a Corvette right now? That's also a nope, plant's shut down. Want plywood right now? Hope you are OK with a second mortgage to pay for it.

I could go on and on about what we're doing to address this, including some of the most fundamental reorganizations ever seen here and at our partners. But these things take time, and even if they are accelerating, we're still having unexpected gotchas at many turns.

The cynical company would simply raise prices on everything 50%, and take a bath in the money shower that ensues, while enjoying the relaxation that less unit sales would provide. But we won't do that. That's not us. Instead, we will throttle demand by giving you realistic--or, these days, even pessimistic--estimates on when things will ship, because when stuff is backordered, it sells much slower.

Hopefully soon we will have much less backorder, or at least much shorter timeframes. We're doing our best, and we're making progress. But guys, seriously, this ain't easy. FUBAR is still the new normal. At least for now.

Last edited:
Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
May 27, 2021 at 9:48 PM Post #77,436 of 148,518
Actually, that's not quite what the new acknowledgements said. Here's what they actually are--three checkboxes before you complete your order:

( ) I understand the item with the longest backorder sets the ship date for my entire order. Example: if four items are 1-3 days and one is 6-8 weeks, your order ships in 6-8 weeks.
( ) I understand if the shipping date changes on the site after I place my order, that doesn’t apply to me. Example: if the site changes from 5-7 days to 2-4 weeks after you placed your order, you’ll still be shipping in 5-7 days.
( ) I understand that Schiit Audio can no longer change or combine orders, due to the need for warranty traceability. We’re sorry for the inconvenience.

The first one is simply informational--we only ship orders complete, so if you get 4 things with 1-3 day shipping and one with 10-12 weeks, it ships in 10-12 weeks. We just want to make this super clear so people can alter the order so they can get stuff earlier.

The second one is because we get avalanches of emails every time the ship date changes on the site. This doesn't apply to orders already placed. In fact, many of our products are starting to ship sooner than estimates, and speaker amps are getting near 1-3 days, rather than weeks, in many cases. This is just to let everyone know, don't hound us when something goes from 2-4 weeks to 10-12 weeks after you ordered--you get yours in 2-4 weeks, but people ordering now should expect to wait much longer.

The third one is because we get lots of requests to combine or change orders--so if you order a Mani and then you decide you'd rather have a Bifrost, and then change it to a Freya, we used to have to try to manage this through painful manual notes, which made warranty tracing particularly painful. So yes, we'll help you cancel an order so you can place a correct one, but there's no more ad-hoc changes allowed.

Yes, I know, we are terrible people. Yes, awful. And at the same time, I went to buy an awning for our CA house today, and what was the first thing I saw: ALL AWNINGS NOW 4-6 WEEKS DUE TO HIGH DEMAND. We're still waiting for a couch for our Corpus house, ordered in January. We went to get a high-powered computer for Ivana and found that pretty much all options were 3-6 weeks--past the date she was leaving to go home for a while. So we order a refurb, because those are in stock, right? Yes, except they delayed it 2 days, then a week, then another week--this is for a refurb that was, by definition, supposed to be in stock. Want a Camaro now? That's a nope. Plant's shut down. Want a Corvette right now? That's also a nope, plant's shut down. Want plywood right now? Hope you are OK with a second mortgage to pay for it.

I could go on and on about what we're doing to address this, including some of the most fundamental reorganizations ever seen here and at our partners. But these things take time, and even if they are accelerating, we're still having unexpected gotchas at many turns.

The cynical company would simply raise prices on everything 50%, and take a bath in the money shower that ensues, while enjoying the relaxation that less unit sales would provide. But we won't do that. That's not us. Instead, we will throttle demand by giving you realistic--or, these days, even pessimistic--estimates on when things will ship, because when stuff is backordered, it sells much slower.

Hopefully soon we will have much less backorder, or at least much shorter timeframes. We're doing our best, and we're making progress. But guys, seriously, this ain't easy. FUBAR is still the new normal. At least for now.
I can wait. I will order once I have the money saved. I have the S.M.S.L. M100 to use right now and in all honesty, I can't hear any difference between it and the DAC built into my Grace Link. But I also like the way the unit looks. Yeah, not very frAudiophile of me but I would rather say what I hold true than lie to those I hold dear in friendship.

I am looking at the Modius because it will match up nicely with my Valhalla 2. I have zero doubts it will get the job done right every time and that it will also look cool doing it. My Valhalla 2 is black so I guess I will order a black Modius unless I get some sort of contrast bug up my nose, then it'll be silver.

Too bad it doesn't have a digitilizified displayer to show the same info for every song it plays, ad infinitum, ad nauseam. :L3000: Looking at the M100's display it has not gone off "44" since I set it up. Again, looks mean a great deal to me and quality can often be seen in a product's appearance. My Valhalla 2 has that and I expect the Modius will too.

Last edited:
May 27, 2021 at 9:56 PM Post #77,437 of 148,518
I can wait. I will order once I have the money saved. I have the S.M.S.L. M100 to use right now and in all honesty, I can't hear any difference between it and the DAC built into my Grace Link. But I also like the way the unit looks. Yeah, not very frAudiophile of me but I would rather say what I hold true than lie to those I hold dear in friendship.

I am looking at the Modius because it will match up nicely with my Valhalla 2. I have zero doubts it will get the job done right every time and that it will also look cool doing it. My Valhalla 2 is black so I guess I will order a black Modius unless I get some sort of contrast bug up my nose, then it'll be silver.

Too bad it doesn't have a digitilizified displayer to show the same info for every song it plays, ad infinitum, ad nauseam. :L3000: Looking at the M100's display it has not gone off "44" since I set it up. Again, looks mean a great deal to me and quality can often be seen in a product's appearance. My Valhalla 2 has that and I expect the Modius will too.

re Valhalla: some users of Schiit's tube-based products (Valhalla, Vali, Lyr, Saga, Freya) have added tube-saver socket extenders to elevate the tubes a bit off the inside of the chassis, which should allow for a cooler running chassis and therefore improved component life (provided you have ample clearance above the unit).

If your digital source is a CD player / transport, or the music was "ripped" from CD's onto a music server, then likely that the M100's display will almost always show "44". sometimes with a streaming source, you might see "48" or "96". Production quality during actual recording / mixing / mastering has more to do with overall sound quality than the sample rate (44.1kHz / 48 kHz / 88.2 kHz / 96 kHz)

Last edited:
May 27, 2021 at 10:07 PM Post #77,438 of 148,518
I'm pretty sure it would sound better with 42 Western Electric 421A's in each amp. I mean if you have $147k floating around, what's another ~$24k for tubes? Actually, make that ~$48k....always best to have a backup set. :smile: :smile:
With a limited supply of NOS tubes out in the wild (and they ain't making them anymore), at what point is it irresponsible to own an amp like this?

May 27, 2021 at 10:54 PM Post #77,439 of 148,518
Jason, you mentioned "Tyr," implying that it is a large amp. You guys make very fine affordable gear, so as a drooling fanboy I'm interested. Nobody asked you what kind of amp it is, I'm sorry there is little interest. Is it for loudspeakers?

In a somewhat related matter, I hope you transition to switching supplies using quiet, ultra-low-Z parts like Shunyata (with Hypex?) will be making**. I think that a new class of filter caps with a large copper core at the output has promise too, but I haven't made any yet.**

**These are only predictions, which you receive by the truckload, but are based on the extraordinary properties of certain existing components.

May 27, 2021 at 11:32 PM Post #77,440 of 148,518
longtime and frequent thread participants are under the belief that Tyr is a speaker amplifier, a large monoblock-only version (two are needed for stereo), presumably designed for higher stability into lower impedance loads. Perhaps it will only have an XLR true-balanced input and no SE RCA connection, requiring something like a Freya / Magnius / Jotunheim 2 with XLR balanced differential outputs to drive it.

Last edited:
May 28, 2021 at 12:14 AM Post #77,441 of 148,518

Hey!

THANKS for growing responsibly - quality and quantity can happen! :)

May 28, 2021 at 1:57 AM Post #77,442 of 148,518
I run with 8 Vidars into a seven channel system of Martin Logan speakers. The ML Requests in the front are 4 ohm and I have never been able to shut them down. Prior to running all the speakers with a single Vidar we could sometimes shut them down.
longtime and frequent thread participants are under the belief that Tyr is a speaker amplifier, a large monoblock-only version (two are needed for stereo), presumably designed for higher stability into lower impedance loads. Perhaps it will only have an XLR true-balanced input and no SE RCA connection, requiring something like a Freya / Magnius / Jotunheim 2 with XLR balanced differential outputs to drive it.
I run with 8 Vidars into a seven channel system of Martin Logan speakers. The ML Requests, in the front are 4 ohm, and I have never been able to shut them down. Prior to running all the speakers with a single Vidar we could sometimes shut any of them down. I am not sure what speaker would require something bigger. I would have posted a photo but apparently it is as difficult as jumping through your own a--hole.

May 28, 2021 at 2:06 AM Post #77,443 of 148,518
I run with 8 Vidars into a seven channel system of Martin Logan speakers. The ML Requests in the front are 4 ohm and I have never been able to shut them down. Prior to running all the speakers with a single Vidar we could sometimes shut them down.

I run with 8 Vidars into a seven channel system of Martin Logan speakers. The ML Requests, in the front are 4 ohm, and I have never been able to shut them down. Prior to running all the speakers with a single Vidar we could sometimes shut any of them down. I am not sure what speaker would require something bigger. I would have posted a photo but apparently it is as difficult as jumping through your own a--hole.
I can shut down Vidars with Magnepans at high volume. I’m interested in how the Tyr would do with these...

May 28, 2021 at 2:24 AM Post #77,445 of 148,518
*SNIP*

So now it's SNAFU (Situation Normal, All screw*d Up).:wink:

Cheers!:beerchug:
-HK sends

Users who are viewing this thread

Back