Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 19, 2021 at 4:26 PM Post #76,966 of 148,444
Just to confirm: I like BBQ of all types.

I even like the BBQ I make on my genuine stickercharged made-in-Oklahoma-with-welders-and-hammers Cookshack PG500 and Cookshack Americue. Yeah, I don't name them. I just use them.

After a misadventure with another brand wanting to get into the pellet grille world (and talking a good game), I'm glad I gave up with that product and went with Cookshack. Seriously, a 2-hour assembly time that included taking off panels and plugging in connections, coupled with an inability to start up and maintain fire? Yeah, the Cookshack has less intelligence than a red-ear slider, but you turn it on, it's on. You turn it off, it's off. No complicated startup or shutdown sequences, and it produces wonderful smoke-ringed, mahogany-colored briskets. And pizza. And you can grill on it too.

Open your heart. Accept all BBQ. Even your own. It's fine. You'll be better for it.

(Yes, even California tri-tip and NC vinegar-based stuff. It's fine. Seriously. Just like sour beer. Well, except maybe during a pandemic (for some reason, sours didn't really have a lot of appeal during the past year, not sure why, maybe it's me.))

Last edited:
Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
May 19, 2021 at 4:29 PM Post #76,967 of 148,444
Possible noob question. How does the microphone work on the Fulla 4 when you have it connected to something like an XBOX via the optical/spdif ?
Welcome to the thread, @S0undJunk1e . As I understand it, the optical Port for our XB1 is strictly for signal-out.
  1. If you are trying to use a Fulla 3 or 4 for gaming on a console, and you want to talk online, you will need to use the USB-port.
  2. I can't tell the difference between TOSlink and USB... for audio output. ... especially on the XB1.
  3. if one's just listening with the Fulla 3, I'd plug in a TOSLINK (not SPIDIF)... from the XBox to the Fulla4 (odd new feature). Anyway, my 2 cents...
{{edit... btw, I'm pleased to see the larger 'phone jack being used on the latest Fulla 4... my little Fulla 2 is still chugging along... Fulla 3? Nah}}}

Last edited:
May 19, 2021 at 5:49 PM Post #76,968 of 148,444
Just to confirm: I like BBQ of all types.

I even like the BBQ I make on my genuine stickercharged made-in-Oklahoma-with-welders-and-hammers Cookshack PG500 and Cookshack Americue. Yeah, I don't name them. I just use them.

After a misadventure with another brand wanting to get into the pellet grille world (and talking a good game), I'm glad I gave up with that product and went with Cookshack. Seriously, a 2-hour assembly time that included taking off panels and plugging in connections, coupled with an inability to start up and maintain fire? Yeah, the Cookshack has less intelligence than a red-ear slider, but you turn it on, it's on. You turn it off, it's off. No complicated startup or shutdown sequences, and it produces wonderful smoke-ringed, mahogany-colored briskets. And pizza. And you can grill on it too.

Open your heart. Accept all BBQ. Even your own. It's fine. You'll be better for it.

(Yes, even California tri-tip and NC vinegar-based stuff. It's fine. Seriously. Just like sour beer. Well, except maybe during a pandemic (for some reason, sours didn't really have a lot of appeal during the past year, not sure why, maybe it's me.))
I have a Cookshack SuperSmoker and I highly recommend it, so I agree with you. Except for sour beer. No thanks, say my taste buds.

May 19, 2021 at 6:04 PM Post #76,969 of 148,444
May 19, 2021 at 6:18 PM Post #76,970 of 148,444
Korean BBQ is great, and it may have been mentioned a while back (like a a few thousand posts ago) when I tried to push Aussie BBQ to the top of the pile. However, 'round these parts, there is a very loud and determined TX vs NC BBQ battle going on, so getting in an alternate view point will take some doing 🤣 :astonished::sunglasses:🤣🤣

But, push on, we need all view points to be represented. If you bring tubes, that may garner you some favour.

Ha ha, yeah this thread is kinda long :p
I have never tried neither TX, NC nor Aussie BBQ. What's special about them?

Speaking as someone that loves making and eating Korean "BBQ" - it's grilling, not BBQ in the strict sense of the word.

I'm confused. Isn't all BBQ the process of grilling stuff? Maybe I'm insulting all BBQ fans now XD But to me as a Swede, BBQ is just grilling...?
Does it mean something else in your part of the world?

May 19, 2021 at 6:28 PM Post #76,971 of 148,444
I'm confused. Isn't all BBQ the process of grilling stuff? Maybe I'm insulting all BBQ fans now XD But to me as a Swede, BBQ is just grilling...?
I think you just opened Pandora's box... :wink:

May 19, 2021 at 6:34 PM Post #76,972 of 148,444
I have a Cookshack SuperSmoker and I highly recommend it, so I agree with you. Except for sour beer. No thanks, say my taste buds.
I'm old school.......
Screen Shot 2021-05-19 at 3.33.37 PM.png

May 19, 2021 at 6:35 PM Post #76,973 of 148,444
Close. BBQ is a much higher level of grilling and can involve smoking of the meat as well. One can grill a steak, but it does not make that steak BBQ. Grilling/BBQ as a verb is not the same as Barbecue/BBQ as a noun.

Here endeth the lesson. 😏

Last edited:
May 19, 2021 at 6:41 PM Post #76,974 of 148,444
Last edited:
May 19, 2021 at 6:53 PM Post #76,976 of 148,444
[snip]...

Stamping? Make a tool, throw in a sheet of aluminum or steel, blam, done. You can form in standoffs, clips, tangs, alignment guides, logos, debosses around volume knobs, tons of stuff. And sheet aluminum and steel are standard. There’s no custom billet. There’s no hours of machining. (And the largest sheet and roll steel manufacturer in the US is, I believe, is opening shortly in Corpus Christi.)

... [snip]
If you talking about SDI Sinton with the new steel mill, they are not the largest flat steel maker in the US or world - large, but Nucor (now Cleveland Cliffs due to buyouts) rule the roost in the US, and ArcelorMittal in the world (mainly because China has a bunch of smaller companies, China by itself makes over 50% of the world's steel).

March 2021 drone flight: https://www.steeldynamics.com/VideoPlayer?videoID=522484618

Edit: had issues finding the May 6, 2021 video.

Last edited:
May 19, 2021 at 7:10 PM Post #76,977 of 148,444
I read Ripper's explanation and had to parse it several times and still came up unenlightened.

RKW, Brevity is the Soul of Wit. Thank You.
I've heard that saying the words outloud while reading them can help with comprehension. 😏

I guess brevity is not my strong suit either. 😒

Last edited:
May 19, 2021 at 7:10 PM Post #76,978 of 148,444
Some time ago I began listening to Rickie Lee Jones because of her association with Tom Waits and Chuck E. Weiss.
Finnegan is more likely to go for Year of the Cat since it was produced and engineered by Alan Parsons. :ksc75smile:

I have been meaning to check out Roon, I have 50k complete albums on a music server my son built.

Today @AudioGal should receive a sample amp I sent out, I hope to build one more for other friends when the sawdust settles from my last few projects.
What about Cat Power? She seems to be a natural choice for Finnegan....

May 19, 2021 at 7:28 PM Post #76,979 of 148,444
Personally I prefer Korean BBQ. Don't know if that's been mentioned but that's another contender for the throne
I've sampled some South Sea Island barbecue, and Vietnamese Highland BBQ. Never Korean, though I've heard the livers are good.

All in all, I prefer pig or beef... with a bit of fava beans.

May 19, 2021 at 7:32 PM Post #76,980 of 148,444
I've sampled some South Sea Island barbecue, and Vietnamese Highland BBQ. Never Korean, though I've heard the livers are good.

All in all, I prefer pig or beef... with a bit of fava beans.
and a nice Chianti?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back