Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 18, 2021 at 12:47 AM Post #76,861 of 149,165
Agreed! But the beauty of Roon is it's base architecture; divorcing service from playback storage and local playback devices, let alone providing open provenance of the digital stream. I'm still wondering why would Amazon/Apple/Spotify NOT open their API's... I make purchase decisions based on Qobuz listening quite often. I was using Tidal, but their suspect "remastering" of content to MQA totally turned me off to them ...

With the caveat that I have no non-public knowledge about the inner workings of Amazon/Apple/Spotify (or Deezer/Google/etc.), I strongly suspect that each of those services perceives a strategic imperative to curate and manage the user experience as a competitive differentiator, and as well they believe that their subscription services gain nothing (or not enough) from enabling their content to be consumed via a different (and esoteric) channel like Roon.

May 18, 2021 at 1:07 AM Post #76,862 of 149,165
May 18, 2021 at 1:33 AM Post #76,863 of 149,165
May 18, 2021 at 1:38 AM Post #76,864 of 149,165
Apple Lossless and Amazon HD new pricing (still not sure about sound quality--I need to re-evaluate their player and see if it has improved), and soon, Spotify lossless are all great news--more options that aren't lossy-hiding-in-lossless packaging maybe-defacto-music-takeover maybe-kinda-sorta DRM schemes.
I'm still hoping for Spotify to integrate with Roon, so I can get the EQ for my LCD series. Not paying for another streaming service as long as the spotify family plan is so cheap, but a good pEQ makes the LCD2 my favorite.

May 18, 2021 at 9:12 AM Post #76,867 of 149,165
Camp out at the B-stock/Clearance section, might get lucky
I check every day.

Who am I kidding?

I have a tab open, to "Current Deals" all day, everyday, and hit F5 several times a day.
I have a tab open to "HiFiShark" that emails me when a Freya S hits--missed three this way.
Freya S is moving so fast, you just about have to bid as soon as it is posted.

I'm obsessed

Griff

May 18, 2021 at 9:27 AM Post #76,868 of 149,165
Why is it people always want what they can't have? 😄

If Freya S had been this popular when it was available it would never have been discontinued. 😏

Last edited:
May 18, 2021 at 9:34 AM Post #76,869 of 149,165
I check every day.

Who am I kidding?

I have a tab open, to "Current Deals" all day, everyday, and hit F5 several times a day.
I have a tab open to "HiFiShark" that emails me when a Freya S hits--missed three this way.
Freya S is moving so fast, you just about have to bid as soon as it is posted.

I'm obsessed

Griff

You forgot one. Search Tempest allows you to search Craigs List, throughout the country. I've found a number of decent pieces using their site.

Good luck.

edit: Don't forget US Audio Mart...!

Last edited:
May 18, 2021 at 9:49 AM Post #76,870 of 149,165
IEMagni arrived yesterday (complete with Built in Corpus Christi sticker!) and replaced my work Magni. It's nice to be able to use IEMs at work via my Schiit stack.

So many choices now at work:

3 inputs - (Wyrd > Modi > Loki mini > IEMagni)
USB via phone and USB-c to USB-a OTG adaptor
Plenue Cowan MK II via Optical
Fiio X7 via Coax

3 outputs -
JBL 104 Speakers
Sennheiser HD 540 Reference II
Dunu DK-4001 Pro

May 18, 2021 at 10:03 AM Post #76,873 of 149,165
I'm still hoping for Spotify to integrate with Roon, so I can get the EQ for my LCD series. Not paying for another streaming service as long as the spotify family plan is so cheap, but a good pEQ makes the LCD2 my favorite.
I don't enjoy being the bearer of bad news, but don't hold your breath that Spotify will ever integrate with Roon, except in the event -- highly unlikely, IMHO -- that Spotify sees enough opportunity in Roon to acquire them. I wonder how difficult it would be for some enterprising developer to build a Roon-like DSP/EQ application that can run on increasingly-cheap OTS hardware, and sell it at a decent price. Would certainly make for a great open source project, with enough collective interest to sustain the effort. Or maybe Spotify should just do something like that as a lark.

Last edited:
May 18, 2021 at 11:16 AM Post #76,874 of 149,165
Why is it people always want what they can't have? 😄

If Freya S had been this popular when it was available it would never have been discontinued. 😏

Yeah, it’s kinda funny. When it was available it garnered much less interest than the plus. Now that it is gone it’s like the greatest preamp ever made.

May 18, 2021 at 11:31 AM Post #76,875 of 149,165
I don't enjoy being the bearer of bad news, but don't hold your breath that Spotify will ever integrate with Roon, except in the event -- highly unlikely, IMHO -- that Spotify sees enough opportunity in Roon to acquire them. I wonder how difficult it would be for some enterprising developer to build a Roon-like DSP/EQ application that can run on increasingly-cheap OTS hardware, and sell it at a decent price. Would certainly make for a great open source project, with enough collective interest to sustain the effort. Or maybe Spotify should just do something like that as a lark.
Streaming music is a vicious-circle business model. Every time they gain another subscriber, their operating costs for paying royalties also goes up, and right now their operating costs are still going up faster than their revenue. Spotify continues to operate at a loss of over $2 million a day, so until they either see some light or can convince additional investors that there is light at the end of the tunnel, I suspect their business model will not include trying to acquire Roon. Roon is not big enough to entice them with sufficient additional subscribers to make up for their current losses. If I had to guess, once Apple or Amazon becomes the dominant streaming provider (which they will do) they will absorb Spotify, and maybe Tidal and Qobuz too.

Me, I don't really care one way or the other. Streaming is not nor will it ever be my primary listening source.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back