Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 17, 2021 at 7:00 PM Post #76,831 of 148,553
No. Merriam-Webster says it, but I do not agree. IMHO, vinegar, if used sparingly and in a method that is unlike NC's use in BBQ, it is an acceptable ingredient in BBQ sauce, although not a preferred one.
Just for that, I'm withdrawing my nomination for you as the 'nutty audiophile' representative to Amazon. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

May 17, 2021 at 7:01 PM Post #76,832 of 148,553
May 17, 2021 at 7:09 PM Post #76,833 of 148,553
May 17, 2021 at 7:16 PM Post #76,834 of 148,553
Unfortunately, I feel that as Tidal and Qobuz goes, so goes Roon. I hope I'm wrong. :frowning2:
Roon is a private company neither owned nor controlled by Tidal or Qobuz, nor does their survival depend on either of them. They could both go away and it would not significantly change Roon's position.

I do not work for Roon, by the way, I just follow the comments from their ownership on their forum.

May 17, 2021 at 7:17 PM Post #76,835 of 148,553
I used to use that, but then PETA started demonstrating outside my house. I switched to the slightly inferior cat dander cryo'd after collection from the cat.
Real soon real cryo'd cat dander will be as hard to find as those tubes you like.

May 17, 2021 at 7:37 PM Post #76,837 of 148,553
Roon is a private company neither owned nor controlled by Tidal or Qobuz, nor does their survival depend on either of them. They could both go away and it would not significantly change Roon's position.

I do not work for Roon, by the way, I just follow the comments from their ownership on their forum.
I hear what you're saying but one of the major selling points of Roon is integration with Qobuz and Tidal. I was impressed when I tried Roon on a free trial basis but I didn't pay to subscribe until Qobuz was added to the mix. At that point I liked Roon so much that I bought a lifetime license.

My concern is that if Qobuz and Tidal go away then Roon's subscriber base may dwindle enough that it's no longer a viable business model. With younger music listeners trending towards a streaming only mentality then where do new Roon subscribers come from?

To be honest, I have no idea whatsoever of the percentage of Roon users that use it for personal media management only, Tidal and/or Qobuz management only or a combination thereof.

Odd to find myself in the position of hoping that you're right and I'm wrong. :L3000:

Last edited:
May 17, 2021 at 7:38 PM Post #76,838 of 148,553
But when people say they have the "best BBQ", do they mean the best adult ketchup, the best act of cooking meat, the best cut of meat prepared a certain way?

All of the above, and the synergy of these factors that result in the final product. However, much of what you are reading here are turf wars between people from different regions of the US who claim their particular, local preparation methods are inherently superior to those of other regions.

The truth is well-prepared BBQ from all these areas can be a wonderful meal. I hope this helps!

May 17, 2021 at 7:43 PM Post #76,839 of 148,553

I'm aware of that. I'm a huge Roon fan. I'm just not sure how much subscribers value the Tidal and Qobuz integration aspect (Amazon and Spotify are closed APIs). There are plenty of local media management systems out there, although arguably none as good as Roon, but none as expensive either.

Last edited:
May 17, 2021 at 7:44 PM Post #76,840 of 148,553
All of the above, and the synergy of these factors that result in the final product. However, much of what you are reading here are turf wars between people from different regions of the US who claim their particular, local preparation methods are inherently superior to those of other regions.

The truth is well-prepared BBQ from all these areas can be a wonderful meal. I hope this helps!
There you go applying logic to a very personal, emotional, and partisan argument. 😄

Last edited:
May 17, 2021 at 7:50 PM Post #76,841 of 148,553
There you go applying logic into a very personal, emotional, and partisan argument. 😄

Well, until you boys pony-up with proper samples (and sides) for me to assess any and all claims of superiority, I'll be the Switzerland of BBQ.

May 17, 2021 at 9:44 PM Post #76,844 of 148,553
Do you also do astrophotography, or image capture into a computer? 50,000 images captured over 26 years, and stitched together with Photoshop? :grinning: I'm really impressed by armature astronomers that do that...! Awesome dedication...! :relaxed:
Oh, goodness no! Astrophotography is worse than golf as a hobby. I know very few astrophotographers who spend their time photographing. Most of them are cursing their hardware for not working properly, or not talking to their other hardware. Or cursing their software for updating in the middle of a capture. Or cursing... Well, you get the idea.

I'm pretty computer illiterate, and modern astrophotography is computer intensive. I don't think I'd EVER get all the bits (main camera, mount, guide camera, guide software, capture software, etc.) all talking together correctly. If, by some miracle, I did manage to get all that working, I'd still have hours of screen time processing the data with even more software. No thanks. Dedication for sure. However, I'll stand back and appreciate their results.

I have an old mount, with a fairly old purpose-built go-to computer and hand controller. I use a printed book I "made" from a planetarium program to figure out what I'll observe on any given night. I used the planetarium program to sort through the various stellar/ object catalogs for objects at latitude above -40 degrees and bright enough for me to see in my scope, at my location, with my decrepit eyes. Then I use my go-to system to point my scope and what I want to look at. I sometimes sketch objects, though. I need to get more dedicated with that. I'd like to develop that skill. Many sketchers use software for that, too. They'll scan their sketches and then process the images: inverting them so their pencil-on-paper sketches are now white-on-black instead of black-on-white, cleaning up stray marks, etc.

May 17, 2021 at 9:45 PM Post #76,845 of 148,553

Users who are viewing this thread

Back