Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 17, 2021 at 8:24 AM Post #76,786 of 149,157
So Audirvana Studio was released yesterday evening. I’ve only had so much time to play around with it, but it seems its spiffy new UI looks as good as it isn’t ready for prime time.

It’s got better integration of your local library with your streaming service of choice and a bunch of cool features, such as a HD analyzer that checks if tracks actually have content past 16bit and/or 22khz (which is the bandwidth for 44.1khz recordings.)

BUT the UI also has bugs and missing functionality that I and several other users reported on the Audirvana community forums. Font is very small with no option to increase its size; no sorting options for Tidal artists (turns out this is actually possible, albeit counterintuitively); no playlists on the left sidebar (you can still access your playlists but it's not as immediately obvious as it was in Audirvana 3.5)… Needs some polishing.

Kernel Streaming on Windows sounds really good but I can’t play any of my files that are higher than 16/44 with it (I can with WASAPI; already reported.)

Last edited:
May 17, 2021 at 11:15 AM Post #76,788 of 149,157
Sent an email to Schiit and asked about a Freya S wait list:

Hello Griff,

I apologize however the Freya S has been discontinued.
All the Best,
Tom E.

May 17, 2021 at 11:30 AM Post #76,789 of 149,157
Sent an email to Schiit and asked about a Freya S wait list:
In a recent livestream Jason mentioned they found metal for 300 Freya S and that it's likely coming back for a limited run. I wouldn't be too discouraged by that message from customer support.

I'm glad I got my Freya S when I did.

May 17, 2021 at 11:39 AM Post #76,791 of 149,157
Apple Lossless and Amazon HD new pricing (still not sure about sound quality--I need to re-evaluate their player and see if it has improved), and soon, Spotify lossless are all great news--more options that aren't lossy-hiding-in-lossless packaging maybe-defacto-music-takeover maybe-kinda-sorta DRM schemes.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
May 17, 2021 at 11:46 AM Post #76,792 of 149,157
Hopefully Qobuz will follow shortly w/ a price reduction. In addition, one can hope that Spotify is also taking note of the new pricing when they officially introduce their HD offering.

(I'm not really sure how much more Tidal can take before it just folds. Hopefully they're not compounding things by handing money over for MQA licensing.)

Last edited:
May 17, 2021 at 11:56 AM Post #76,793 of 149,157
In a recent livestream Jason mentioned they found metal for 300 Freya S and that it's likely coming back for a limited run. I wouldn't be too discouraged by that message from customer support.
That's why I asked. I watched the stream live and about had a heart attack when @Jason Stoddard said that

Griff

May 17, 2021 at 12:03 PM Post #76,794 of 149,157
Today's topic is how to mention MQA without mentioning MQA. Who'd like to go first? Jason?
--more options that aren't lossy-hiding-in-lossless packaging maybe-defacto-music-takeover maybe-kinda-sorta DRM schemes.

May 17, 2021 at 12:16 PM Post #76,795 of 149,157
So Audirvana Studio was released yesterday evening. I’ve only had so much time to play around with it, but it seems its spiffy new UI looks as good as it isn’t ready for prime time.

It’s got better integration of your local library with your streaming service of choice and a bunch of cool features, such as a HD analyzer that checks if tracks actually have content past 16bit and/or 22khz (which is the bandwidth for 44.1khz recordings.)

BUT the UI also has bugs and missing functionality that I and several other users reported on the Audirvana community forums. Font is very small with no option to increase its size; no sorting options for Tidal artists (turns out this is actually possible, albeit counterintuitively); no playlists on the left sidebar (you can still access your playlists but it's not as immediately obvious as it was in Audirvana 3.5)… Needs some polishing.

Kernel Streaming on Windows sounds really good but I can’t play any of my files that are higher than 16/44 with it (I can with WASAPI; already reported.)
I'm using it and the "Analyzing audio files" is taking forever. It's already restarted once because my internet connection went out and caused the program to crash. I find it hard to believe they didn't realize they should've made that a background process invisible to the user and with the ability to save its place if the process is interrupted.

The sound quality is great, it sounds warmer to me than 3.5.

May 17, 2021 at 12:17 PM Post #76,796 of 149,157
Apple Lossless and Amazon HD new pricing (still not sure about sound quality--I need to re-evaluate their player and see if it has improved), and soon, Spotify lossless are all great news--more options that aren't lossy-hiding-in-lossless packaging maybe-defacto-music-takeover maybe-kinda-sorta DRM schemes.

May 17, 2021 at 12:20 PM Post #76,797 of 149,157
Amazon HD now included in Amazon unlimited

Lossless audio now for all customers

I'm sure Amazon has had this queued up for a while, just waiting for Spotify to deliver lossless...but Apple making its move probably triggered Amazon to announce:
https://www.theverge.com/2021/5/17/22440090/apple-music-lossless-audio-dolby-atmos-support-audio

Will be interesting to see if some kind of price war erupts when all the major players -- including Google -- have made lossless just table stakes.

May 17, 2021 at 12:59 PM Post #76,799 of 149,157
But a FLAC converted from an MP3 will have ALL of the information that the MP3 had. So LOSSLESS!

Joking, obviously.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back