Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 9, 2021 at 11:09 AM Post #76,381 of 149,112
Happy Mother's Day to all.
HomeBanner_TheMothers1970.jpg

Last edited:
May 9, 2021 at 1:38 PM Post #76,384 of 149,112
I wonder if we crossed paths in some pub, but it's a ways from where I used to hang out around the Meadows, and Leith. We lived in Marchmont our 5 wonderful Edinburgh years (77-82). Lived many places since, but Edinburgh still pulls the heartstrings.

I was there 76 to 80. Leith, the New Town, a few other places. I was in university so while pubs were fine, hash was cheaper... :wink:

I still miss so many things about Edinburgh. The weather is not one of them...

May 9, 2021 at 2:15 PM Post #76,386 of 149,112
Looks like the new Audirvana version—Audirvana Studio—will be subscription only. $6.99 per month or $69.99 per year.

Sleek new UX and—effing finally—the possibility to create playlists that include both local tracks and streaming tracks at the same time. Plus kernel streaming on Windows 10 which is supposed to be even better than WASAPI and offer the shortest signal path possible, but I have no idea how that techy tech works.

May 10, 2021 at 1:50 PM Post #76,389 of 149,112
I bought a Bifrost I multi-bit before they disappeared as a way to test the multi-bit waters. It transformed my simple head phone system. I can't comment on the delta-sigma Bifrost, but I really (really) like my multi-bit. It is an incredible upgrade over using my DAP analog out into my amp. My two cents.
OK, I know I just said I really like my Bifrost I multi-bit, but I now have a Gungnir DS on the way. I think the seller is related to Don Corleone...

May 10, 2021 at 1:59 PM Post #76,390 of 149,112
OK, I know I just said I really like my Bifrost I multi-bit, but I now have a Gungnir DS on the way. I think the seller is related to Don Corleone...

You sound like me! I have a Bifrost 1 MB and a Gungnir D/S. While I like the mids and highs, and spatial qualities of the Bifrost, the bass response of the Gungnir is incredible! Deep, tight, and impactful. If your speakers can handle it, you'll think a sub has been turned on. And in a good way...! :ksc75smile:

May 10, 2021 at 2:01 PM Post #76,392 of 149,112
What!? Only three posts in a day (plus one misfire)!?! What's going on here??? :wink:
I'm trying to do my part. Perhaps the rest of the posts are hung up in covid-related shipping difficulties. I too, was shocked that the @Roy G. Biv post I read last night was also the first post I read at lunch time today.

May 10, 2021 at 2:01 PM Post #76,393 of 149,112
I know. I've checked my Internet and firewall like 4 times wondering if it was something on my end. :D

May 10, 2021 at 2:05 PM Post #76,394 of 149,112
You sound like me! I have a Bifrost 1 MB and a Gungnir D/S. While I like the mids and highs, and spatial qualities of the Bifrost, the bass response of the Gungnir is incredible! Deep, tight, and impactful. If your speakers can handle it, you'll think a sub has been turned on. And in a good way...! :ksc75smile:
I haven't put any Schiit in my "main rig" yet. I have a pretty capable multi-channel pre-pro. That said, someday I really should insert a Schiit DAC and see how the two compare. Some day, I also need to put my Aegir in place of my main amps as well.

May 10, 2021 at 2:39 PM Post #76,395 of 149,112
I just did a bit of looking: Sterophile reviewed the Threshold SA-1 in 1986. Sure enough, it appears in the November 1986 issue as a Class A recommended amplifier. Even though Atkinson threatened to have a "more filtered" Class A recommendation list for the next iteration, the SA-1 was still there in May 1987. Actually, I think all the amps from November 1986 were still listed, and the Jadis JA-30 and Krell KSA-100 Mk II were added. So much for filtering.

I'm so glad the last twenty-one years of music haven't been wasted on sub-standard gear. :) I kid, of course. I enjoy my amps every time I turn them on. I also used to read the Recommended Components List avidly. Until even the Class C and Class D gear was out of my reach.

I wasn't able to find a Stereophile Recommended Components database, not that I searched too hard. If you're curious, the brute force method is to go to Stereophile.com and search for the gear you want to find. That will provide you with any review articles they have. Then you can look in the May and November issues after the initial review appeared to see if it's in that RCL. I was unable to find a way to search for individual issues by date, or individual RCL on the Stereophile site, though I think the former is available (or used to be available). I opened a new page in my browser and searched for "Stereophile May 1987" and worldradiohistory.com provided a scanned copy of the issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back