Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 8, 2021 at 8:01 PM Post #76,366 of 148,604
yes, for headphones: low source impedance (not always the case with passive or line-level tube preamps) and balanced / differential loads. assuming a fairly uniform conductor geometry, the capacitive and inductive coupled noise should cancel out.
You mentioned using star quad for RCA interconnects as I recall. Good luck.😎

May 8, 2021 at 8:06 PM Post #76,367 of 148,604
That's a serious work of art. I love the contrast of the woods. Looking forward to hearing it, too!
I will ship early next week if all goes well. Power tube on the right, headphone impedance of 50 ohms up, that is probably all you need to know. I will include some tubes.😺

Oh and it will have proper clearance and ventilation. I like to put new amps under a bit of stress.

Last edited:
May 8, 2021 at 9:32 PM Post #76,368 of 148,604
Are the upgrades worth it? That's up to you.
I bought a Bifrost I multi-bit before they disappeared as a way to test the multi-bit waters. It transformed my simple head phone system. I can't comment on the delta-sigma Bifrost, but I really (really) like my multi-bit. It is an incredible upgrade over using my DAP analog out into my amp. My two cents.

May 8, 2021 at 11:14 PM Post #76,369 of 148,604
Ahhh.. I loose

I think you said 275 was your bid? IMO many of the ebay prices for used schiit are too high.

Also consider a new Modi 3 plus and a Vali 2+ directly from Schiit.

250 before tax and shipping.

Even cheaper if you stalk b stock

bcowen himself loves the vali 2 for tube rolling, and it plays 6SN7s with a readily available adapter.

Modi 3+ has Unison, my modi 3 is in the same league as the 4399 or 4490 OG Bifrosts.

May 9, 2021 at 12:26 AM Post #76,371 of 148,604
I would think that would be best, unless you are running the Vali2's in low gain (presumably gain of each channel is dominated by high precision resistors on the circuit board and not the gm of the tube sections). @Jason Stoddard might be able to shed more light on this (non-typical application) ...

(added)
in the case of Bifrost 2, both the SE RCA and Balanced XLR stages use the same output circuits, so no need to employ 2x Vali2-- just use a single Vali2 via RCA pre-out into the Jot2 RCA inputs, which will convert the SE signal from Vali2 into balanced differential (Nexus circuit topology). :L3000:

Sorry, I just saw (was busy fixing up my Project Ember)

Are you saying that the Jot2 can also act as a simple single ended to balanced signal converter like how an active DI box work? :wink:

May 9, 2021 at 12:42 AM Post #76,372 of 148,604
Sorry, I just saw (was busy fixing up my Project Ember)

Are you saying that the Jot2 can also act as a simple single ended to balanced signal converter like how an active DI box work? :wink:
yes, on Jot2, both XLR and SE pre-outs are active regardless of the input type (SE or Balanced).

Last edited:
May 9, 2021 at 3:14 AM Post #76,374 of 148,604
I think you said 275 was your bid? IMO many of the ebay prices for used schiit are too high.

Also consider a new Modi 3 plus and a Vali 2+ directly from Schiit.

250 before tax and shipping.

Even cheaper if you stalk b stock

bcowen himself loves the vali 2 for tube rolling, and it plays 6SN7s with a readily available adapter.

Modi 3+ has Unison, my modi 3 is in the same league as the 4399 or 4490 OG Bifrosts.
275 was my bid.
Closed bidding round. Not on ebay.
Pre ordered Hel 2 last month.
So if i find a cheap schiit amp. I will upgrade from magni to Lyr etc.
Gonna have 2 riggs

May 9, 2021 at 9:48 AM Post #76,376 of 148,604
I was planning to give a new Schiit Product to my mom for mothers day.....
but there hasnt been a new release

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back