Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 6, 2021 at 1:19 PM Post #76,231 of 145,576
Mine too, a “slim” model C64C with the classic 1531 datassette :smiley:

I never got a disk drive for it though, until much later (like, two years ago, and yes, it’s still set up and running perfectly :relaxed:)

I asked my parents to buy the disk drive, but they said NOPE when they saw the price. I think it was around $400 in 1980s' dollars, over $1K now.

May 6, 2021 at 2:03 PM Post #76,233 of 145,576
When I worked for Atari I had one of the first hard drives for the 800. It cost $3,000 for 6 mb and another $3,000 for the commercial grade VHS recorder to do backups on. Our R&D group developed a 10mb hard drive that could be sold for about $600 but management didn't want anything to do with it since they couldn't even manage to build floppy drives that didn't have problems. There was so much corruption and nepotism at the top of the company it wasn't a surprise when the whole thing fell apart.

I remember when the game developers asked for royalties since the company sold over a billion that year. The president, who had come from Burlington industries, told them they were no different from towel designers and anyone could do their job. They all left and started Activision, EA and Broderbund. The next game developed was the horrific Star Wars failure and the company lost 2 billion the next year.
Luxury!

So my first machine was a PDP10 (at York University), after that a PET2001 (non-chiclet keyboard) and thereafter I went to work for Tandy. I sold a LOT of TRS-80s. The commercial systems introduced a 5MB (yes MB) Winchester drive and it was UK# 9,999.

May 6, 2021 at 2:06 PM Post #76,234 of 145,576
I realized that there is now a tool for improving my audio system.

Tekton Hammer.jpg

Can someone explain to me how I use it to tune my speakers?

Cheers

May 6, 2021 at 2:26 PM Post #76,236 of 145,576
I realized that there is now a tool for improving my audio system.

Tekton Hammer.jpg

Can someone explain to me how I use it to tune my speakers?

Cheers

Well, it certainly looks like it's capable of eliminating any and all annoying distortions.

Good luck!

JC

May 6, 2021 at 3:19 PM Post #76,237 of 145,576
Hey, a Modi 3 question - does anyone know if the Modi will pull power from the plugged-in secondary power draw USB even when the regular audio USB port is plugged into a device that is providing sufficient power, such as a regular laptop? I am wondering if there is any audio/noise advantage to keeping the Modi power plug in even when using with a Windows device...

May 6, 2021 at 3:29 PM Post #76,238 of 145,576
Hey, a Modi 3 question - does anyone know if the Modi will pull power from the plugged-in secondary power draw USB even when the regular audio USB port is plugged into a device that is providing sufficient power, such as a regular laptop? I am wondering if there is any audio/noise advantage to keeping the Modi power plug in even when using with a Windows device...
in some situations (like on some laptops), where the host computer is employing USB power management, using the 5V USB adapter into the second port may be beneficial. you can try it (both with music playing and paused at the source mid-track) and see if there is any audible difference in baseline noise / SQ.

May 6, 2021 at 3:34 PM Post #76,239 of 145,576
Maybe in Delft

A quick tour on Vodafone's, KPN's and Ziggo's website seem to tell a different story
I'll be very grateful to be shown a way to get even half of that speed for €30 in The Netherlands...I'm about to move to a new house and I've only seen much more expensive options
I'm a Ziggo and Vodafone client for as long as they exist so internet and mobile phone are combined.
The combination and length of relation gives you this.
I pay for 500MB down but Ziggo upgradet all speeds for free a few months ago.
I pay €29 for limitless phone and roaming a month and that for the whole of Europe.
So the grand total is say €60 for everything and I can't be the only one in The Netherlands.

May 6, 2021 at 4:17 PM Post #76,241 of 145,576
May 6, 2021 at 4:27 PM Post #76,242 of 145,576
I came over a used bifrost and lyr 1. seller want a offer.

what is a fair price?

May 6, 2021 at 6:51 PM Post #76,244 of 145,576
There was a question for @Jason Stoddard that got nuked because one of my posts contained a reference to the unmentionable thing that has permeated our lives over the last 15 months, so I shall repeat it:

Jason, I was wondering if you could share any insights concerning the manufacturing challenges that you may have experienced specifically with the Magni 3+ since the pandemic "thing" began. The reason I am asking is because I foolishly sold my launch Magni 3+ unit and was thinking of getting another one. However, I noticed at least 5 posts during the last year (mainly on Reddit) where people said their Magni 3+ units went up in smoke, fortunately without taking out the attached headphones.

I am just wondering if you ever identified what may have been causing these failures and whether it was addressed in the current production model. I am sure you sold tons of these, and I know this kind of stuff happens, but I thought it was worth inquiring.

Last edited:
May 6, 2021 at 7:17 PM Post #76,245 of 145,576
Worth the wait. Even using it as a tube buffer for the Jotunheim 2 has been blissful. I love the Vali 2+, SO MUCH and I'm on stock tubes atm. I'll swap to EH gold 6922 for an even softer sound later.
How do you setup a Vali 2+ as a tube buffer for the Jotunheim 2?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back